ninja nerfs to Snipers today??

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Jeroam, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Jeroam

havent played in 1-2 weeks, and today seemed really weird. so ive been trying to look through the infiltrator forums to find answers.

apparently there testing new longer render distances for infantry the last few days??

Why are my perfect headshots from the maximum infantry render distance, NOT KILLING THEM ANYMORE???? wtf have soe secretly done?

did they increase the render infantry distance, so as soon as we see the enemy on screen, the sniper damage will be too low over the new longer render distance?

i cant figure it out. its was extremely frustrating to do headshots but then the enemy walk away with a fraction of health left. is this new balance to nerf infiltrators??

Sniping is probably the no.1 thing i enjoy in ps2. i cant play this game if all maximum render shot distances cant do instant headshot kills like they used to before....

im basically forced to abandon this game, and if they continue like this, more infiltrator players will follow suit, and this game will be dead in 6months.

EDIT: just found that Matt Higby has been screwing with the render distance, and i think its the source of the problem

""Matthew Higby@mhigby
    We're continuing to tune infantry render distance settings, some new tweaks are now on Miller, Mattherson, and Connery. How's it feel? "" posted on Feb 13th

So i blame this guy, for ruining infiltrators... he better fix it or i quit
  2. Oreo202

A lot of people use nanoweave, and hit detection has been off.
  3. Bape

yeh i stopped using infiltrator until the cloak is fixed.
  4. Jeroam

is it the nano armour 5 or the new longer infantry distance?

eg so instead of starting to see the enemy at 400 ms and being able to still do 1 headshot kills, we now see new infantry render distance at 500m ? but our headshots can only do 90% health damage at that 500m range??

is thats whats going on, or only nano armour??
  5. Rhinzual

Nanoweave 5 gives 125 extra HP. On top of the shields, it gives them just enough to survive 1 headshot.
    • Up x 1
  6. Vikarius

Actually... for the latest bolt actions they added, it should by damage stats alone, one shot even a maxed nano weave player with a headshot, and the only thing excluded from that is a heavy with his shield active (and full everything else ofc). This is the way it worked before GU02. (Parallax / RAMS .50 / Longshot )

Now not only did GU02 break our cloak in 2 ways (Low settings users seeing us and resolution of the cloak when reflecting textures)
    But, it also broke hit detection (much further then it already was), and 1/5 headshots are killing in a single hit.
    • Up x 1
  7. Mattressi

I'm pretty sure that that's completely false. The regular bolt action rifles do 750 damage. A headshot does 2x damage (i.e. 1500). There is simply no way to have >1500 (or even close to 1500) health in PS2. I have never experienced someone I HSed living, no matter the range. I'm also pretty sure that the bolt actions do not have damage dropoff. Even if they did and they had a maximum dropoff of 100 damage (the semi autos only have a drop off of 66 damage - except VS which have 150 drop off over a much larger distance), that would still be 1300 damage, which is still more damage than the maximum health possible in PS2.

I would say the issue is hit detection and also possibly people who simply don't know how to estimate bullet drop. As I said, I've never, in my whole time playing Inf had a headshot not 1-hit kill an enemy. Either no one on Briggs uses Nanoweave level 5 (or whatever the magic number is) or normal bolt actions can OHK at all ranges with a headshot.
  8. Wobberjockey

the error in your math is that sniper rifles and shotguns use a 1.5x hs modifier, NOT 2x

that means that the paralax/rams 50/longshot do 1200 on a headshot, at any range. the other rifles do 1,125, and 1,050 respectively, at all distances. most classes have 500 armor, 500 shields, meaning that nano5 will protect you from a headshot from anything but the 1000cert rifles. given the spotty hit reg, it's not hard to miss their head and jut their shoulders either
    • Up x 2
  9. Revanmug

The biggest thing you and many people forget is that sniper have damage degradation over distance. Longshot, .50 and parallax do NOT assure a one shot, one kill if the target has Nanoweave and is standing at longer distance which is around 150m.

The 1.5 multiplier has never been proven and been refute many time since bolt action will one shot HA with the reg overshield at less than 10m.
  10. Revillios

I don't know what you talk about. Headshot = kill with my Longshot?

Or I've never fought anyone with Nanoweave or it's not true. Even heavy's with their shields up can be killed with 1 headshot.
    • Up x 1
  11. Timeraider

on Woodman this is fixed already.
  12. Mattressi

I've never heard of that before, but if it's true; thanks for the info. It just strikes me as odd, because I'm absolutely certain that out of the hundreds of bolt action headshots I've got, everyone has died from one shot. Maybe no one really does have nanoweave 5 on Briggs?
  13. JudgeDeath

Damage drops when shooting far distance.

Atleast parallax has a bug that its bullets pass thru enemies without ever registering. You can see the sparks from the hit on the wall behind them.
  14. RecursiveBadger

Ah, is that true? That explains a lot and makes me feel better about my recent shooting then, I've 'missed' some easy headshots in the last few days...
  15. Mattressi

I know it does for most infantry weapons, but I've never seen evidence that the bolt actions have damage drop off. The spreadsheet gives no indication of this and my own experience does not either.
  16. Ztiller

More people are using Nanoweave. I think they got sick of getting instakilled by snipers. That's why i bought my Parallax.
  17. Jeroam

so we can now see LONGER render distances of infantry. so now snipers are capable of shooting at enemy at even LONGER distances. and I think there is a damage drop-off at these new longer distances, and/or more ppl with nano5 armour.... mybe both factors.

Well, every month more and more will have nano5 etc

Sniper is officially crap now. it went from the most FUN class, to the most FRUSTRATING class. shooting at headshots and the enemy walks away and heals.... makes we rage quit after about 1 hr of playing.

snipers are ANTI-ZERG. they are extremely good at sniping the massive zerg armies outnumbering u. but now that's gone. the big zergs can now just roll over everyone. and now ur going to see more and more ppl quit ps2.

If PS2 don't want to listen to the community, then I wont be playing, and I will laugh every month seeing the subscriptions drop lower and lower, while they act confused as to why this is happening.

the sniping community is pretty big in ps2. and I can bet a lot are super pissed off with the new changes and this was the last straw and many are going to quit, like me

EDIT: just went to play now, before the official maintance update. and there is no red hotspot zone in all of indar on matterson server. that's the first ive ever seen that. last week there was always a redspot zone 24/7.

this just proves to me, more and more are frustrated and leaving...
  18. JudgeDeath

Tested it myself and other in the outfit had the same issues with the same weapon. Not just headshots but clear bodyshots too.
  19. Lixa

I've had a similar experience the last 1-2 weeks or so. What seems like a perfect headshot simply does not kill. At first i thought i was missing the head by a millimeter (hitting neck/torso) due to bullet drop, so i tried to adjust my aim upwards by a tiny tiny amount, and then miss the shot by shooting over the head. So the first shot was indeed to the head it would seem. I've tried this on stationary targets even that didn't move at all between the hit and the miss.
  20. Wobberjockey

according to the PS2 datafiles, that is only true for the semi autos.
    the bolt action rifles do not have damage falloff numbers.
    SOURCE

since those numbers are ripped from the gamefiles themselves, i would conclude that either the bolt actions do not suffer from falloff, or they simply do not have a minimum damage, meaning that in theory, a warpgate to warpgate shot is possible, but would do very low damage.

as for the headshot multiplier being 1.5 and not 2. having the multiplier be 1.5 certainly makes the math far more plausible than using the global 2.0 modifier, does it not? we know for a fact that shotguns use it already. please show me the math where this has been refuted

i think the simplest answer here is that nano5 has NEVER saved anyone from a 50cal sniper rifle. the hit reg has always been spotty, and those cases where where the target survives could have been the bullet passing through the head and hitting the shoulder, or just a slightly low shot. now i know i have seen video where this was tested, but to the best of my recollection, that was before the 50 cal rifles were rolled out.

this also matches my experience with my paralax. if i hit them in the head, they die. no ifs, ands, or buts.
    the same cannot be said of my ghost

it's possible. nano 5, like every other capstone, is exceptionally expensive for the benefit it provides, and even then, a person needs to be at 100% full life in order to survive that headshot and limp away. if they have so much as a paper cut, they are going to die