Will this ever be fixed? - Flashing Screen/Sound 0 FPS Crashing

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Tatwi, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Tatwi

Video from today,

From my testing, it's quite clear that this issues is caused by the game waiting for lost or broken network packets before it will render frames or play sounds. Most often it will stay like this for a minute or two and then crash the process. 100% of the time the issue goes away completely after 12am EST, which coincides with when my ISP (Xplornet/Barret Xplore) stops their "deep packet inspection" throttling". Also, the issue does not happen when I use my Rogers HSPA+ Blackberry USB modem for the computer.

This issue only happened about 10 times in the 4 months that I was in beta and it did not happen in the release version until after "Game Update 2".

It is 100% impossible for me to play the game while this happens, because any time I get near a fight the issue occurs. The *only* way I have been able to play is by trading sleep for play time, between midnight and 5am, but I can't do that, I don't want to do that, and I should not have to.

If the issue persists, I'll have no choice but to walk away, because I cannot afford to pay Rogers $10/GB just to play Planetside 2 (which uses just over 100MB/hour). That's just reality speaking.

I posted a detailed thread on this issue in the Bug Forum here a weeks ago, complete with a longer video that shows normal play, flashing, and 0 FPS leading to crashing.

Ps. As a note, my occupation for several years has been computer/printer tech support. Trust that I have tested every possible variable on my end (hence, how I discovered the issue going away when I used a different internet connection), including reinstalling Win7 64bit, testing with WinXP, packet sniffing in Linux, accessing my ISP's service module to disable NAT, fix wireless spectrum interference per the Motorola Canopy manuals (because Xplornet is far to complacent and ignorant to bother...) , etc. So in short, the issue is the game getting messed up by my internet connection. Period.
    • Up x 1
  2. Tatwi

Here is my DxDiag,

http://users.xplornet.com/~falacy/ps2/DxDiag.txt

Note that I have tried 4 different nVidia drivers, with and without PhysX installed, before installing the current beta drivers. All versions experience the same issue (with 285.62 and earlier running very poorly I might add - 20 FPS max, where as 296.10 and above grant 75+ when not in battles, depending on the location).
  3. Gaxfer

Getting the same bug, Nvidia 465
  4. Hydragarium

1. It is a well known issue - and it has proven incredibly hard to track down all the things that can cause this. Developers have said this several times.

2. Why are you bringing in your bandwidth costs into this thread at all? It's not like this issue is costing you more bandwidth - perhaps you should stop going off topic and focus on the issue at hand? (And for gods sake stop having metered internet as an online game player...)
  5. Cryless

same thing happens to me once a day on geforce gts 450
    • Up x 1
  6. winkl0r

7. Tatwi

It's important, because in my area there are only three options for internet service: dial up, Rogers/Bell HSPA+, and Xplornet 802.11g wireless or "4g wireless". The only service that is not metered, and I should note that it's one of only a handful of small ISPs in Canada that still offer an unmetered plan, is the Xplornet 802.11g. Their trade off being you're capped at 80KB/s sustained download speed. Cable and DSL are not available here, in large part because our government gave Xplornet a grant of several million dollars to cover this part of our city/region with wireless "high speed internet", so it's not worth the investment by cable and telco to service our 150 to 300 or so homes. Sadly, there DSL service about 300m to 500m down the road and a major Bell fiber trunk runs past here about 200m from my house. We've been waiting seven years for wired high speed internet and it just isn't going to happen.

Xplornet used to work fine for Planetside 2, but no longer does due to some change in Planetside 2 that causes screen drawing and sound playback to wait on network data. As such, the only viable connection I could play PS2 on is prohibitively and unrealistically expensive. Being a SOE customer since 2002, It's important for me to express that I literally can not afford to be a customer any longer if this issue persists (PS2 is the only SOE title I am into these days). That's just the way it is.

Reality, sometimes it's different for other people.

I've been in tech support long enough to know that the majority of people who work in the industry are full of crap, don't care, and are more than happy to have people like me clean up their messes. As a result, I know what to expect as responses to the issues I have posted (and honestly, I'm not looking for tech support, I'm providing information about a bug and stressing the point that this issue prevents me from playing the game and spending my money with SOE).
    • Up x 1
  8. KeiichiNinja

have the same bug :D
  9. Hydragarium

Your reality - not relevant to

a. Your technical issue.
    b. SOE. (Insert analogy about complaining to a third party about your choice/limitation of product here)
  10. Tatwi

You failed to comprehend the following:

1. Game Update 2 introduced a problem that causes this issue to occur every day, where as said problem only occurred a few times in the 4 months prior.
    2. 100% of the time changing internet connections resolves the issue, therefore something in the packets SOE is sending to the clients is getting corrupted and the clients are sitting there breaking because of it.

Your posts - not relevant to this thread. Kindly leave.
  11. SgtRolling

I get this bug fairly often now, and ONLY after GU2. I used to occasionally get screen flicker, BUT NEVER this 0FPS nonsense. This combined with all the other horse**** they have done is probably going to make me put this game down for good.
  12. Hydragarium

:rolleyes:
  13. JADR1000

hi
    try visiting this link, it worked for me

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asu...-game-timing-problem-g60jx-2.html#post7364805

it seems problem is related to a timing issue

give it a try!
  14. LordCharlamane

• Up x 1
  15. Tatwi

That's pretty interesting for sure, but after confirming that my clocks are correctly synced (using the provided tool) and going over my bios settings again, I can confirm that DOES NOT solve the problem for me. :(

Stinks that I can't go near large battles until midnight my time...

Really loving all the help I have gotten from SOE on this matter (which is exactly none at all).
  16. Tatwi

Just had this happen again a few minutes ago. This is the first time it has happened late at night for me (4:45 AM EST). I created a 2GB Windows memory dump file of the planetside2.exe process before I had to kill it for not responding. Let me know if you'd like it.
  17. Hydragarium

18. Voolproof

I've had that flashing like in the video a couple times, but without the framerate drop. And after a few seconds it went away and everything was fine again.