To all the Engineer players

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Bigpapasquatch, Feb 18, 2013.

1. rickampf

Good Engies are extremely useful and indispensable comrades in battles.
    • Up x 1
  2. korpisoturi

amen to that, it seems that atleast in miller way WAYYYYY too many players think they bad ***** and roll mostly on heavyassault or in light assault and by doing that they are next to uselss in many cases to they sguads/platoons/outfits/empire all they can do is scream "heal me and i need ammo"

who would you take in your team:

1. skilled HA/LA user who may kill few people more than average player before get killed and in process give ZERO support to team, but demading it nonstop "heal me i need ammo"

2. average engineer/medic who keeps healing/reviving and repairing variour things/supplying ammo in other words keep things rolling.

broblem with that option 1. is that "skilled" HA users are rare things in PS2, MOST HA users are just a clueless weaklings who want to have biggest guns no matter what, even when it means that sguad/platoon/outfit they currently are is weaker cos it misses one potential healer/reviver/repairer/ammo suplier.
    • Up x 1
  3. Craeshen

You'll get your ammo after whatever is shooting @ me is dead. And a quick clue for the clueless shoot the medics it means less people trying to shoot the guy trying to give you ammo,
    • Up x 1
  4. Bigpapasquatch

Nice! All stuff I didn't know as well.
  5. Jaquio

I don't even know why people play HA. Yeah you get a shield and some rockets, but engineers get grenade launchers, turrets, they can repair broken turrets and gens at whim, anti-personnel mines, anti-tank mines, and they can drop their own ammo.

Heck, I've played my engi like a mortar squad - drop some ammo, hunker down in a hole, and blind fire grenades into your enemy's path.

Of course, the most profit comes from large engagements when you turn into a stationary MAX repair station/ammo dump. Nothing like hiding behind a wall with a whole bunch of MAXs lined up waiting for your heals and stocking up on your boxes... the xp just flows in.
  6. Lord Robert

Your frothy beer is accepted kind sir!

HUZZAH!
    • Up x 2
  7. KariH

LOL. I think Cobalt server have too many engineers. Ammobox everywhere. Tanks & MAX healed imediately. 3 engies fights who fix max first etc. I havent yet seen situation when 4 engies together fix one max .... yet.

I try to balance between medic and engie and try to anticipate which one is more needed.
  8. KariH

Yes - it is very profitable. I am now BR 41 and most of points came from engiework. K/D ratio is a bit lousy 0.5 but so what.

Navigating between moving ans shooting tanks is absolutely thrilling. Only few times killed by friendly tanks cannon.

By the way - tank drivers panic too much and sometimes drives too far. Seen too many tanks explode because of fire which I can possibly fix. 3-4 seconds is essential.
  9. Raital

As an Engineer one certainly finds himself in a variety of interesting situations. There was a time a tower was being pushed and I found myself providing ammo and spotting for what appeared to be a team of snipers. That was the first time the AC-X11 failed me with its bullet drop, but that's another story. Basically felt good to keep them in the action and safe, did some close range threat killing too when enemies got too close to them.

Another time I found myself on the defense end of a massive TR push to cap Amerish. At the time the NC were extremely possessive of Amerish, so eventually everyone ditched the other continents and came back to help push them back, but before that, I was healing some AA MAXs and providing them ammo as they tried feebly to swat the multitude of mosquitoes away from one of our last towers.

In another circumstance, 4 people were defending a biolab, 3 from the outfit I was in and 1 extra. There was about the squad of VS guys, but it was obvious they were either a bit new at the game or they weren't so good. Anyways, they managed to push us back to the spawn point and blow our SCU. Commence the typical sniping back and forth that follows a spawn camp. I looked back at the new rear entrance of the bio lab and got an idea. I dashed out the rear of the spawn room, ran along the perimeter of the bio lab, ran into the generator room, and set up AP mines along the most likely path they'd beeline to from the spawn camping to me. I then repaired the generator. Half-way through I got a kill from mines. I finally managed to repair it, then dashed for all my life to the SCU dodging gunfire and dashing past a VS MAX that was too busy looking at the spawn room than at the generator that just got repaired. Repaired the SCU, then two of the guys MAX crashed out of the spawn room. I rejoined them and healed. The fourth guy flew around in a reaver, found their Sunderers, and destroyed them. After a long fight, we managed to push them out and recapture the satellites. Most satisfying fight I think I've had in a while.

Being an Engineer is well worth it.

Edit: That's not to say I've had my moments with the Combat Medic either, though. Seems like you get the feeling of one man making a difference in the flow of a battle more often by being a support class. Sure, one may be that heavy assault that kills all the enemy medics and the enemy defense crumples, but often enough it's the engineer who provides an ammo box to that group of heavy assaults with decimators that allows them to hold off an enemy tank push long enough for allied air and ground to arrive, or it's the combat medic who finds a sea of corpses, resurrects the medics (if they had any) and everyone else, and suddenly a defeated base is contested one again. Stuff like that gives the feeling that you are changing the course of the battle with your actions, and that's the only reason I still play this game, I think. Being support is awesome. The sea of certs you get from doing so is just a bonus.
    • Up x 1
  10. Linedan

I've mainly played engineer (on foot, I don't drive vehicles that often) but lately I've been trying out HA just because I want to actually get a few gun kills now and then (I'm not a fan of most of the NC carbines except the GD-7F, and that's only good for close-quarters action). Still, I keep falling back to engineer, dropping mines and ammo, fixing everything in sight, and hiding behind splatterMAXes as they clear biolabs. It's just such an amazingly versatile class.

Hey, if I suck at shooting things, I might as well make life a little easier for the guys who are good at it.
  11. Crywalker

How about one for the snipers!

*crickets*

In my defense my bodyshots feed people easy kills and I actually get in close enough to use my sensor, at least.
    • Up x 2
  12. Cougarbrit

Medics are probably more unsung heroes than engis. They're the only ones who'll keep the fight going when it starts getting really rough. Don't see that many though to be honest, at least away from biolabs.
    • Up x 1
  13. CupidStunts

Engineers are the best of the best, selfless, ammo droping, shots on target wheilders of DEATH, thx;)
    • Up x 2
  14. CupidStunts

TIP: All Vanu go for TR instead of NC
  15. SgtBreastroker

You are welcome. :)
  16. Karragos

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  17. Bhudda V1

helping your team by getting upgraded ammo pack = 910 certs
    getting a fully upgraded repair kit = 740 certs
    getting nano weave up to lvl4 because you think it helps = 211 certs

getting run over by a panicked tank = priceless

if there's something certs can't get you, it will quickly made worse by a flaming tank backing up over your soon to be lifeless body.

and for everything else there is a medic.
    • Up x 2
  18. Saavik

being a dedicated engineer does feel under paid lol.... getting run over constantly after repairing and saving a burning tank or sunder.... rearming troops and then to get TKed by them... defending a base with the fixed AT Guns or AA Guns, jumping out to repair and to have the Turret stolen from you and the guy doesnt have a clue what he is doing in there, where as we had a fighting chance to defend the base....

But its worth it being able to jump in with 2 mines and blowing a fully loaded sunder and or deployed sunders lol... its funny walking past enemy troops as they watch you lay mines and then everything goes up in flames
  19. Lord Robert

If you are playing engi, and if you are repairing a friendly vehicle when you get run over and killed BY THAT VEHICLE, while you are repairing it, I'd shouldn't count toward your deaths. In that instance, they should cut us some slack.
    • Up x 1
  20. Turel2

I've been killed more by friendly tanks that enemy. Please try not to panic when we are trying to repair you.