Remove the death stat- go ahead and keep kills

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Crywalker, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Crywalker

Sick of losing K/D to hackers. I don't want to quit playing when hackers are killing me instantly, sometimes from underground. But I'm not going to tank my K/D because unfortunately people do look at it and assume things they shouldn't from it.

Already vehicles are superior for K/D, yet as infantry to add insult to injury you're far more vulnerable to hacks. Inside a tank or aircraft you don't generally have to deal with this nonsense.

That or keep track of a player's death history, and remove the deaths people receive from any banned player.

Also just get a better anti-hacking system, it's absurd how long the same blatantly obvious hacker will be around for. After a ton of reports that player should get weapon locked or temp-banned until you can confirm. Generally when someone is reported by tons of players in a certain area I think it's reasonable to give the reporters the benefit of the doubt since the majority of the time, yeah it's a hacker.

We actually had a player I'm not going to name use a hack to remove a hacker not too long ago. I hope he didn't get banned for it, but in chat people were talking about how nice it'd be if they'd give responsible, active members some bonus SC or XP or whatever, along with permission to make use of hacks to remove hackers.
    • Up x 1
  2. SinerAthin

What is KDR doing in this game anyway?

I could understand if this was a Deathmatch, like Call of Duty, but here we have unlimited resources, infinite spawns, and the best way to take heavily fortified is to exploit this through going all in, aka red army style.
    We also have vehicles & different roles and classes that skewer the statistics.

So tired of seeing 20-30 zerglings sit in a spawn house in a Biolab attack, not daring to go outside because they don't want to reduce their EXP gain/suffer deaths by being killed.
    • Up x 1
  3. Gumbo

I dont give a monkeys about my K/D. It's an epeen stat.
  4. Crywalker

People putting it in their signatures doesn't help, just saying.
    • Up x 1
  5. Autarkis

I recommend OP just not look at his death stat. Problem solved.
  6. SinerAthin

No, it does help.

The reason I'm using it because I got tired after the 1000th post going "You probably said that because your KDR is bad", and I can't be arsed to answer any more of those :p
  7. Crywalker

Nah, it still reinforces the overvaluing of the stat. Better to ignore those players who try to make something of it.

People will do this with high K/D sigs too -

Kills: 1056
    Headshots: 91

Most Played Class: Engineer
    Most Played Vehicle: Magrider
    Most Played Weapon: Supernova PC

Now you're giving them fuel for nerf suggestions, and they'll say you didn't earn your K/D.
  8. SinerAthin

As long as the stat is around, I figured I could keep it in my signature, just so I wouldn't have to deal with those guys AT ALL :D

I'll probably keep it that way until either A) people stop overvaluing it, or B) it is removed. ^^
  9. Nocturnal7x

IDK what server you'er playing on but maybe 20-30 of deaths out of 3k deaths are from hackers. And 20-30 is liberal at best.
  10. Crywalker

Helios, I logged off due to a hacker pretty much making an area a no-go for infantry when I made this thread. Just got on and yep, get killed twice by a new hacker within 10 minutes of playing.

Considering just quitting, this game has enough problems as is without hackers. Glad I didn't put any money into SC.
  11. Absoluth

This game is about team gameplay. Players with high k/d ratio are usually the most useless and unskilled players around. Who do you think is better: The liberator pilot that can dodge enemy ESF, or the dalton/zepher gunner that gets easymode kills? The infantry raiding facilities, taking cap positions, or the infantry sitting on a hill with annihilators? The MBT driver farming infantry, or the light assault/engineer that takes the risk to c4/tank mine that tank? The ESF pilot who fights other ESF head to head, or the ESF that farms ground forces with rocket pods?

K/D ratios mean nothing AT ALL. For instance, i once logged in, took my MBT for a spin, killed 32 people, then logged out. 32-0 ratio. I can tell you it took no skill at all to do so.
    Another day, i grabbed my liberator, and got my friend to gun for me. Flew around for about an hour. He got dozens of kills, and with a few flips and crazy maneuvers, i managed to dodge a lot of lock-ons and ESFs in the process. After we got eventually blown up by 3 ESF fighters, we logged out. 0-1 ratio
    Driving around killing unsuspecting easy target infantry, and about 4 lightnings, landed me tons of kills. Pulling crazy stunts in the air, doing near ground level evasion maneuvers, flipping around to dodge bullets, while giving my bomber gunner view of enemy pilots, landed me no kills whatsoever and eventually a death. Which situation do you think i performed better: The high ratio, or the negative ratio one?

Having that said, i don't mind ratios. They're stats on which players can see how they've improved. The thing is, that's all it tells you. You know exactly what you did to get those stats. That information is only useful to you. It means nothing compared to any other player. Stats are merely a personal thing. Praising someone for having high stats, or calling someone a 'noob' for having low stats is pure ignorance. A guy can have a 0.01 K/D ratio and still be far more effective and useful than someone with a 10.0 ratio. What matters is what you do in-game.

There's no reason for ratios to be taken out. So you got killed by hackers. So what? You know how those deaths affected your ratio, so you know how you've been progressing despite of what those numbers actually show. Trust me: There isn't a single decent player in-game that is gonna care about your ratio. Only the childish messed up ones praise this kind of cr*p. If you care about what those players think of you, than you're just as messed up as they are.
  12. Kon

wont work for me im not ******** i cant trick my brain to not see it, its subconscious while im playing if im getting pwned by all the vehicles in the game over n over i know its affecting my K/D

also its not fair that im permenently punished when a teammate griefs me yet he get s a temporary warning
  13. BuzzCutPsycho

KDR has to go. I've been saying it since tech test.
  14. Autarkis

KDR needs to be enriched, not removed. You're delusional if you think removing it will change how people behave (news flash: people don't like dying and it's inconvenient), though it will make the player experience more shallow.

More stats, please.