Why were A2A missiles nerfed?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by The_Shruberer, Feb 11, 2013.

1. JaxsonFive

Thank you for providing a link. I was meaning SC when I said money, so I was in the ball park. But no, there is no refunding on anything unless you pay more to have a cert reset.

We'll never get our SC returned to us ever unless a major glitch happens and takes everyones SC away.
  2. hardrain1911

ok so fill me in on how can i a2a pod everything? cause i have my reaver max certed out but i rarely get kills from it. usually the instant i get 1 sec into lockon the esf swings around and hailstorms me to death before i get a chance to fire said missile. and if i do get it off, they pop there flares. and EVEN then it still takes 4 ******* A2AM TO TAKE OUT A ******* ESF! In 2 months of using the A2AM exclusively, i have like 10 kills with it. SO explain how is it OP? My suggestion is to buff the damage of a2am till 1 missile setts an esf on fire (like with a modern sidwinder)

Edit: or now that i think about it, the ability to fire multiple A2AM at a locked on target. IE see green square, click twice, 2 missiles take off. It would help encourage people to try to keep a lockon vs just hailstorming everything. Alternately i would like a change to flares to be, only disrupts fired missiles not preventing new lockons and attacking pilots get around the flares by keeping their esf locked on to the target thus providing target data to the missiles.
  3. 7Elite7

This video has appeared a lot on these forums, and for good reason.

4. hardrain1911

i do admit that would be OP but i do feel that the part in my edit is good. But i do get pissed when anyone from easy-mode vanu wining about anything. I have tried all 3 factions and VS is by far the easiest to play.
  5. Jezs

Pretty sure they were only trying to nerf G2A lockons (attempting to make them require "more skill") but that accidentally nerfed A2A as well because why separate them right?

Not like they were useful before the nerf against any non-******** ESF anyway, honestly I would almost prefer to have the AB tanks on instead.
  6. VexTheRaven

Rocket pods are commonly used A2A. You don't need an A2A version of dumbfire rockets.
  7. LameFox

ITT people who can't aim can't missile anymore either. Not seeing a downside!

Just for you OP, I'm going to go use my AAM later today.
  8. Antivide

So sad to see that it takes more skill to use a skilless weapon.

Carry on, nothing to see here.
  9. NoctD

Can I add to this discussion? Still sore over the senseless rotary nerf!

A2AM nerf is fine, but the rotary change just was unnecessary.
    • Up x 2
  10. shakkar

nerf is not enough.
    patch that **** out of the game...
    nobody needs them, no real pilot want them ...anybody who use them dont deserve do declare themselve "pilot"..
  11. The_Shruberer

By George! I think this man gets it! There's absolutely no reason whatsoever in the known and unknown universe to even remotely begin contemplating the suggested use of anything except A2G rocketpods.

It takes roughly 4-6 seconds to lock onto an ESF, and you now have to have it in your cross hairs the entire time. On top of it all, they will likely flare it away. If they are an idiot, they will remain at a steady cruise and fail to deploy flares and use terrain as a shield, resulting in about 30% damage.

Depending on the faction, it takes about 3 secs to empty a clip of an anti-air nose gun, resulting in about 50% - 0% damage to an ESF. With an extra 3 secs you could be launching A2G rockets at their behind to finish them off.

Let's face it. there's 1 single, solitary combo for ESFs. An anti-air nose gun and A2G pods.
    My suggestion is to halve the damage done by A2G missiles on air units, and add a single-shot dumbfire missile with a reasonably large hitbox that does about 2x dmg to air units (in comparison to current A2G rockets), and half damage to infantry. I'd like to see some choices of load outs that result in benefits and drawbacks (like deciding to equip your lightning with a skygaurd)

tl;dr: A single loadout shouldn't be the optimal choice for all conceivable scenarios
  12. Tytos

Fly up. in 1000m hight nobody can disturb your dueling ;)
  13. Jex =TE=

Err what? SG needs nerfing - what?? Have you ever used one? They need buffing and anyone that doesn't think so, think that their little aircrafts should be able to just prance around everywhere without any threat to them.

I'm laughing so hard at all you pilots right now. The hypocrisy of it all really is amusing. For MONTHS you've had it easy, been farming kills everywhere and now the tables have turned you can't stop moaning. When the fix the AA missiles I'll be dancing over your burning wrecks.

In the meantime i'll just pfffff every time I get 20 xp for slightly damaging ur AC.
  14. {joer

The fact that you are a horrible horrible pilot should not effect weapon balance. A2AM's were horribly broken and OP, this was obvious from day 1 release, only back then only a few people bought them. With the 3* station cash day, flying died a bit as EVERYONE got them. They were simply I win buttons for anyone who wasn't a horrible horrible pilot.
  15. smokemaker

I love watching the enemy esf dive into the ground after i lock them with A2A. It saves me ammo.

Words from the dead about skills/skill-less are meaningless.
    • Up x 1
  16. ProDogFighter

I feel the overwhelming problem with all lockon weapons, is that, they do not get any better as you (the user) does. As a nosegunning dogfighter, or even a rocketpod user, the more you use the weapon, the better you get at using it, and the more usefulness you get out of it. Whereas the A2AM user, for all you know, could be BR5, or could be BR95, floating above you pointing at you, it makes no difference. A2AM instantly puts you at a very high damage output, with very small skill requirements, and hardly any way to get better.

If anyone disagrees with that logic, then how would you react to the following change: 25° auto swivel on all ESF machine guns. Since "close enough to aiming" is perfectly acceptable to A2AM users I see no problem implementing this.

A2AM skill requirements:
    Aiming at the enemy

A2GM / Nosegun skill requirements:
    Aiming and leading the enemy
    Active situational awareness of ground and air units
    Damage control
    Keeping your bearings, in-case you need to flee

Its funny how doubling the skill requirements causes a bunch of A2AM users to QQ about it, even if the requirements are still far below that of weapons that require active aiming. And yet, here we are, asking why A2AM was nerfed.
  17. moooosa

You must be talking about a different game.
  18. Morpholine

Back then, the lock on cone was much larger.

This thread experienced a nearly three month necro in the post before yours.
  19. smokemaker

Why were A2A missiles nerfed?

Whiners, thats why.
  20. Rohxer

Hello. This post is 3 months old.