[Suggestion] How do we end ghost capping?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by KRE8R125, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Inzababa

ok

though I find defending is better cause you get more kills, often attackers sort of semi afk near cap point and it's easy to shoot them down :)
  2. Tasogie

couldn't agree more, this is about them refusing to stop farming for 5 min, an go kill an enemy, because it means they wont get as much certs for that 5 min.
    As usual like most threads here, it is about them demanding devs play the game for them, an force everyone to play the game their way. Whats really sad here, is the devs will give it to them. They pander to this generation because they know that this lot dont have the attention span for depth, or diversity. it needs ot be simple, needs to be easy, an most of all, has to reward them in showers of shinys/certs.

Fact of the matter is, its a war game, an that one person behind the lines, is doing as much as 10 platoons on the line, because he is pissing off the locals, an making them angry enough that they come looking for him. he is doing the exact thing the game is aimed at.
    • Up x 3
  3. aedn

To understand the problem, you have to look at the real issue, not the side effect of the problem. Ghost capping is not the problem at all. its a symptom of the problem, and that is that PS2 fails to be anything beyond a giant team death match. the fun aspect of PS2 all revolves around finding a good fight, or padding your KDR ratios, depending on player mentality.

Ghost capping like zerging, and players ignoring the map 90% of the time, is due to the fact that the game offers no real requirements, incentives or fun in doing anything but shooting the other guy or blowing up the other guys tank or plane. Until a strategic layer of gameplay is put in place, nothing will change.
  4. Nulgaoh

Greedy people WANT.

Defend your land for the good of your team.
  5. Syylara

This makes for much more boring strategic play since now there's only one front to worry about. A given faction can simply cut off a pocket and then ignore it until later. The threat of leaving a pocket behind means more interesting possibilities for both attackers and defenders.

My platoons almost always make sure to crush these pockets because I prefer to have my enemies appearing from one direction (the front), but having to choose between engaging the main platoon(s) assaulting us at point x or securing our lines by crushing the squad at pocket y makes things more challenging and leads to varying scenarios which keeps things from getting stale.
  6. Bubbalicious

Simple fix, they just need to alter the cap points to only move when a player is present. Stopping massive ghost hacking which is common in the outer areas.
  7. Tasogie

There was a funny little game, none ever played, it, i think it had maybe, 10-20 players total in the 10 years its been round...
    Called "Tribes 1-2

(Tribes 3 an the laughable excuse for new Tribes today, are not rated as "Tribes" so I don't include them)....

There were no unlocks, so no shinys, no rewards just for logging in. You fought as part of a clan, an you fight in the TWL to gain the bragging rights as best Clan in the ladder... I think it was called "Gaming"??....
  8. KRE8R125

I have tried this though and I find it very tedious and it makes me not want to play. I get bored/frustrated. That is just me though.
  9. KRE8R125

I agree but ghost capping I can do while I eat my dinner. :D
  10. KRE8R125

I disagree. I think there is a fairly large population of players that will ghost cap simply to get the certs they are looking for without actually having to work for them. I like the type of player you describe however. I wish that was the only reason people ghost capped.
  11. GhostAvatar

If it is a proper empty ghost cap then it should take you all of 60 to revert it and respawn back to where the fight is. If there are actually enemies hanging around then it is what you make of it. You can either kill them and lock down the place tight - thus shutting down the fight and it gets boring. Or you can actually have some fun with it, and if you play it right eventually turn it into a hotspot.

At the end of the day this game isn't just about the big bases, fights, and shooting people in the head. There is an element of tactics also involved that needs to be taken into consideration. At the end of it all, if you cant be bothered about defending a base, don't expect it to stay in your factions hands for long.
  12. Shockwave44

You're missing the point. If you cap a base and there are no more enemies detected, why the hell would you stay there to defend? Once you move on to the next point, someone can then fly on in or use a flash, flip the point and leave. Then you have to send everyone back to where you just came from and make sure its clear again. That sounds real exciting. You talk about tactics but where are the tactics for spending 5 seconds at a point and then leave to flip it?

Just take ghost capping out completely. If one person wants to cap it, fine but once you leave, then it falls back to whoever owns the point. It can be that simple.
  13. Bruiserdog

Call Ghostbusters.
    • Up x 1
  14. MykeMichail

"Ghost capping" is just another word for when you're too lazy to defend your territory.

If you're not willing to defend it, then theres no reason someone shouldn't be able to run in and cap it.

Pay attention to what you're losing and you won't have this issue.
  15. Shockwave44

16. The_Shruberer

Why end it? It's a viable tactic to cause enemy to break up forces instead of zerging. I hear many complaints about zerging on these forums - don't you want to have mechanics that deter it?
  17. GhostAvatar

And if you quoted all of my message you will see that I said it takes you all of 60 seconds and a single person to spawn at the base, recap the point, then spawn back at the fight.

If you cant be bothered to do that, then tough luck really. Don't expect the game to defend your base just because you are to lazy to do it yourself.
    • Up x 1
  18. Shockwave44

Defending a base from what exactly? I thought planetside 2 was about seeing 12 galaxies charging your way, filled to capacity, not about a dude on a bike flipping a point. And where is the strategy in ghost capping? Seeing as you haven't answered this question from my last post, we now know you ghost cap, but you can't answer it because we both know there is no strategy in ghost capping.
  19. GhostAvatar

For starters influencing a larger bases capture, distracting the enemy (since they are to dumb to send a single person to scout first), cutting of there resources behind a dumb zerg that has no direction, or even directing said zerg to where you want them by giving them a different target. Those are just a few things off the top of my head.

And no I don't ghost cap, I work in a outfit and we fight together at the same place. But late at night I do like to defend against ghost cappers, it can be fun (otherwise it would just be a crown fight until the pop went up).

But yeah, since you want to label people. You are nothing but a lazy noob who wants the game to hand you things on a silver platter.
  20. Tasogie

thats because it is, ghost capping is central to the game, an must be encouraged an fostered at all times. it is an exellant game mechanic, an just because some people dont like being taken away from their gravy train of cert grabbing, is just too bad. Either stop them by killing them or defend the base, your choice.
    • Up x 1