Free 2 Play is a horrible concept...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Col_Jessep, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Sharmanti

Okey, first of all. Most games went f2p because of the playerbase. Noone wanted to buy the game, so they let players play it for free to get them hooked.

Wow isn't really the exception. Wow is the reason. Wow were so good that other mmos just never stood a chance, and if you look at the first thing I wrote.. That's what happens

However, some games (like GW2) is B2P (buy to play) and from there is completely free with a "market" which can be used with both ingame and real money.

Team fortress was a B2P game for like 5 years before they went F2P. Mainly because noone bought the ******* game anymore so the second plan is to get the players that never bought it (and never would) into it aswell so they could buy keys and have some hat madness going...

Dota doesn't stand a chance vs LoL. Trust me. Lol is like... probably the biggest Esport today. It's insanely huge. And it's the only game worth mentioning in the F2P genre.

I can't say the future, so I don't know wether these games will be more popular or not. What I do know is that as of today, there's a single F2P game worth mentioning. And that's LoL (and/or possibly PS2)
  2. Nocturnal7x

I think he meant MMOs. WoW is the exception, not the rule, TESO is not out yet and I don't think anyone considers GW2 a success yet. Also, Crytek has never considered crysis to be successful.
  3. ThommiX

You might want to start getting out of mmo's then... Majority is going F2P,simply because its more profitable and gives bigger playerbase.

It's completely pointless to even complain F2P-models anymore. More and more F2P-games are AAA-classed and monthly sub-games are losing customers. Best system is having both,as most games do now.

There's nothing actually horrible in this concept and your post mentions none either... So why this rant?

Some will always play for meaningless stats like K/D-ratio,some will just grind easy exp,some will organize and cap the continent.

These things won't change be the game F2P or not.
  4. sosolidshoe

Deal with what, your vacant assertion with absolutely no supporting evidence?

Free to Play might be the way to make the most money, but it is not the only way to make money period. The issue is that publishers, and by extension developers, are generally run by the same soulless corporate nonces who run all "major" companies; people who flit from one ludicrously overpaid job to another, believing they can apply the same business-school-bollocks to every industry, enacting policies with no regard for long-term viability.

Niche markets still exist, and if they were profitable before they still will be today, the issue is that isn't enough for these neo-liberal scumbags, they don't just want to create something worthwhile that gives them a reasonable return, they want to bleed every last penny they can out of their "customers", because they've lost the capacity to value anything other than the temporary thrill they get when another digit is added to their bank account.
  5. 13lackCats

tl/dr is agreeable, title stinks.
  6. Niller

Easy fix, make capping/defending the base give ALOT more xp, so people would do whatever is necessary to capture the base.
  7. Niller

TF2 is succesfull
  8. Hetzau

I don't see how hard it is to slap a $60 price tag on PS2 and make progression the same for everybody..Just like in any other shooter. Oh right, greed. I forgot.
  9. badname02

You're not complaining about free to play. You're talking about XP based progression & unlocks in a shooter.

F2P doesn't ruin anything if done right. Try playing some PoE for instance.
  10. Raneman

F2P has been proven to be more profitable, and SOE probably has one of the better models. No one can really top Valve for F2P models, but Planetside 2 is doing just fine as a F2P game, it's definitely not Pay 2 Win.
  11. Sharmanti

O really, the mega succesfull TF2 went f2p several years later because people stopped buying it.

Brilliant
  12. Crywalker

Problem is it's hard to have much fun without getting to a certain number of upgrades via certs.
    • Up x 1
  13. shakkar

wot?????
    i still play with starter weapons because of all nations, nc get the best ( and no faction get really bad starterweapons..)
    you dont like the saw??? l2p, really learn to play! or better quit.
    god we have too many ******* playing nc, if you are a noob - dont join nc.

and yes, free2play is a horrible thing... but the new gaming generation deserve such a stupid system because that is what they are... most of them.
    sad but true.
  14. Eric Smith

Perhaps you can read it that, even take it that way. It's the nature of the beast in an MMO where grinding out XP is part of the game. It happens in every MMO. I don't think you can blame Free 2 Play here though. This is the nature of any game with an improvement/progress system - levels, XP, skills, weapons, upgrades, whatever - you want your character to progress faster so that you can have more fun when you do play for fun, so you do whatever it takes to grind out the progression faster. During lull times for the game you find niches you can fill that will progress you more.

In my case I have two different modes of play, I have the extremely casual grinding out XP mode where, no, the game is not overly enjoyable but I can play it with minimal fuss or attention, and I can earn XP to progress my character. Which makes me better in my other mode of play, my "Kill Them All" mode where I'm ready for some action. That's where the game is fully enjoyable for me and I can play for hours on end.

Exactly, which is why people grind out certs in the first place. I've found that now that I'm BR51 and have a good handle on the game I worry far less about grinding certs just to get more certs. There's still tons of upgrades I want, but now they are not nearly as necessary to improving my chances of "winning," at this point I need them mostly to improve my options for what I can do.
  15. RobotNinja

NC weapons are great for defending but defending in this game against a zerg horde of equal or greater numbers is pointless and even if you do manage your reward...is NOTHING.

The only real rewards in PS2 come from capturing and attacking and to do that you have to engage in close quarters combat and in CQC, Rate of Fire is king. Especially with the NC's disgusting amount of recoil you probably won't be landing all of your shots, whereas with VS and TR in close quarters you're likely to hit a lot more since the VS recoil is minimal and the TR's practically non-existent. You can be the most skilled NC player in the whole game (and you're not, no offense, your 1.0 KDR which you're advertising in your sig isn't bad but it's definitely not anything to brag about) but you're only lying to yourself if you claim the NC aren't at a disadvantage in close quarters combat, with the default weapons particularly. NC HA with default guass LMG vs. a default VS or TR HA, 1 on 1, face to face, both start firing at the same time, that NC HA is gonna get roflstomped 90% of the time or more in close quarters.
  16. Niller

Then people "bought" it again=succesfull :p
  17. ent|ty

Nah, the payment model has been found to be very successful at milking more money out of consumers. Just tell the consumers they're nuts if they disagree, hire some fanbois to enforce it on forums - and now you can get upwards of $400 per player for a $60 game.