Quick Note on Optimization

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by codeForge, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Zak Preston

Is there any MSI GX60 owner here?
    I'm in need of a gaming laptop of moderate price: Radeon 7970m is a slightly downclocked version of desktop 7870, but AMD A10-4600m CPU is on par with Intel Core i3 CPUs.
  2. dr_Fell

With PH II 940 @ 3300 MHz ? I doubt it. I have barely 30-35 FPS and sometimes less with my 965@3800 and NB oced to 2,6 GHz. You will be lucky with 25 FPS on that CPU in large battles. In crowded Amp Stations even less.

Resolution has small/no effect on cpu usage.
  3. Donkeyball

That laptop is awful, AMD A10 combined with a 7970m is like a Fiat with a Ferarri engine..
    Completely out of balance.
  4. ph55

20-40/40-60

You LUCKY man !
  5. CaliBased

if anything your argument is supportive and correlated to me. i am NOT saying sony expects people to just buy new rigs in some type of crazy cross web monopoly scheme. rather that players who have very nice setups talk down to others complaining about performance saying that the issue is there equipment. rather the problem is the game is not ready for evreyone.
  6. Xavstar

I guessed that as my first gen i5 750 @ 3.9ghz runs PS2 at no more than 50% utilization a AMD Phenom at 3ghz would be ok. But I don't have such a CPU and dr_fell has said otherwise.

I have had my i5 750 for three years now. So I would say to someone if they are thinking of upgrading, with commitments to that other MMO called real life in mind, getting a quad core Intel CPU and motherboard, maybe memory if you do not already have DDR3, would be an upgrade that will last for quite some time. It seems Intel's product range has plateaued for some years now. They are showing no intention of bringing their awesome i7 six core cpu to a price range that is not 3x more than a intel quad core cpus. Which is a shame as I was hoping their would be a similar transition to six core intel cpu's as there was from single and dual core to quad core cpu's.
  7. dr_Fell

It runs with 50% utilization because this game has problem with utilizing anything with more than 2 cores. Phenom II would run as well with 50% utilization, and lower FPS :)
    Despite grand-sounding anouncements of the devs GU2 didn't change this. It didn't seem to bring significant performance improvement and for many players it brought even lower perfromance than before. And (even after hotfixes) many bugs, some of them I consider as game-breaking.
  8. Xavstar

.. task manager shows all four cores using around 50%. The fluctuations between the cores are quite even.
  9. husse

well just check roadmap :) didnt see anything with performance optimization so i think game will be poorly optimized 4ever.
    • Up x 2
  10. TintaBux

My cpu hits about 60% maximum now, so the game is not using up the cores properly on higher on CPU's, however my GPU hits 95% often.
  11. Streetfighter

Dear CodeForge, dear the others of the "performance increase - team",

more than 2 months passed now since your message to keep improving the performance. While there was NO progress at all for me until release I'd like to quote your statement and tell you my opinion of it.

- patience yes. Faith... thats up to you! You're welcome.

My "underpowered" rig:
    1055t OC @ 4,2GHZ
    Asus 5850 @ 5870
    8 gigs of ram
    128GB SSD

Every single component overclocked to its maximum, windows optimized for performance.
    ~20fps in big battles are a NO GO.

This is a reminder: You keep getting in new stuff to this game and forget the BASICS of programming. So keep your word and do something - and do it FAST. THIS one has to be priority Nr.1.
  12. TintaBux

For me the big performance patch after fixes has lost me on average 3-4 fps.
  13. Xavstar

If you have branded DDR3 memory its possible that the BIOS by default won't use the tightest settings. Which was the case for myself when I got 4 x 4GB of Corsair memory. I manually set mine to 9-9-9-24 at 1.65V @ 1560mhz.
  14. k3lt

Do you realize that performance in games between 1333Mhz and 2133Mhz RAM is about 1-3% and about the same for latency?
    So yeah, keep fooling yourself.
  15. Dovahkiin

AMD CPU + Planetside 2 (CPU intensive game) = really bad performance. That's AMD for you. Don't buy AMD again.
  16. k3lt

Except people with latest generation Intel's (Sandy Bridge) are reporting the same issues, go troll somewhere else.
    • Up x 1
  17. Dovahkiin

Yeah cool story bro, an intel quad core sandy bridge overclocked to 4.0ghz (like your AMD CPU) doesn't drop to the 20's.

I know you are trying to make yourself fell better that you have a SH*T CPU, it's ok. I feel for you bro. TROLOLOLOLOLOL!
  18. Streetfighter

So you're saying that a very high clocked 6 core AMD CPU is a s*** CPU? I know that there are better CPUs out there (I have a 3570k in my 2nd PC) but the overall performance of this game is really one of the worst I've ever seen. Even with my 2nd rig ( 3570k @ 4,5) my FPS are around 40. That simply mustn't be in such a game - there's not really that much to calculate for the CPU.

I guess the main issue is a simply undeveloped engine combined with not enough testing and optimizing. And the most alarming issue: Implementing NEW STUFF when the old isn't running at 100%. I guess SOE didn't prioritize their goals correctly (with simple Userstories) - words like: "When the user's rig meets the minimum requirements this game has to run above 30fps in ALL situations so the user is able to enjoy the basic game".

This is about principles of business and informatics. And it's not the fault of the majority of the devs - it's the fault of the management. Efficiency and stability are always neccessary for a product you want to use for a longer timeframe. If you don't care about them then this is a simple hit&run strategy. All the signs until now tell me: They didn't choose the frist option at all. And that's one thing driving me crazy. The other is that people simpy accept that crap or defend those approaches.

I don't accept it. You can do better SOE. A statement would be appreciated.
    • Up x 1
  19. nitram1000

Oh for **** sake, cmon! When are you going to fix this stuttering, you are really taking the piss now. Every 1.5 seconds my fps drops from 70fps to 35fps causing a stutter. What ever you did in game update 2 just roll it back PLEASE. I have put over $150 into this game now I can't even play it FFS.
  20. Curse_Gamerkin

We waited a month since release for this miracle optimization patch january update, and still no word on further optimization. If the one guy they have working on it cant do it, hire more code monkeys.
    • Up x 1