Why aren't people using the tunnels

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Maniaboo, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Banick

Because the exits either place you on the edge of the defenses, and you get cut down trying to reach the SCU shield gen, SCU, or the shield gens. Or, it raises you right into the main area already zerg camped.

Like I knew before they were implemented, tunnels are just another exit which was going to be camped. It didn't solve spawn camping one iota, but rather wasted dev time that could've been put towards something else.
  2. Aghar30

the tunnels are great, and for those asking for signs, do you need a damn map everywhere you go? FFS its not hard to reason out where the tunnels go if you just look at your minimap for half a second.
  3. Nyscha

The tunnels are useless.
  4. Aghar30

if you are comming from the tunnels while they are being camped, you already lost the damn fight and are just feeding them at this point. The tunnels allow you to get to the SCU/sheild gens faster than the attackers, allowing you to setup a defense. You cant just rally from the tunnels and expect to win if you are already outnumbered, but if the SCU sheild gen is still up you can use the tunnels to get to the scu, setup a defense, and push them back, buying you time to either get backup or even take back the base. Once they are in the room/area the fight is already over, use your damn brains people.
  5. Apples

Some of the tunnel entrances are a bit hidden.
  6. Aghar30

every single one is in the back of the primary spawn room. they are not hidden.
  7. Banick

Before or after tunnels, you lost the fight the moment the enemy drive/walk 50 meters from the shields to the spawn point. What difference is another 3 exit points from spawn whether in a tunnel or riding with Mary Poppin's friggin umbrella.

The layout is at fault and makes no strategical sense whatsoever. Here is a nation of TR/VS/NC and they're stupid enough to leave a crucial spawn area outside the building that they're defending? Hell even in the 1600's castle defenses were better.
  8. Chiggerbite

In my opinion, tunnels have the same issue as spawn rooms. You can't use the tunnels effectively going through them one at a time. If you have some coordination and have several people use the same tunnel, you can accomplish something. It's the same principle behind a MAX crash or any sort of mass movement of players ... overwhelm the opposition or out-flank them with numbers. Occasionally, I find a tunnel that isn't guarded or mined when running solo... but that's somewhat rare. At this point, the tunnel exits are fairly well known and watched.

What I think would work better with the tunnel concept.... have multiple 'tunnel maps'. Each time a facility is taken, a different map is used, though the tunnel exits all persist visually from topside. This would prevent tunnel exits from being camped... not knowing which map is active until people start popping out of tunnels.
  9. Dusty El Lion

My outfit used them quite well on patch day, not much since. We haven't been on the defending end of a AMP or Tech station much lately, and when we are its usually based around the sundy in the vehicle bay.
  10. zappy

^This

It doesn't help either that they are behind you when you spawn, not everyone reads the patch notes to see what is new.

edit:This reminds me when they changed the generator and you nologer had to shoot it to destroy it. It will take some time before people see the change, you can help by showing them it is there.
  11. SolidSnake

Because it's a confusing mess. Most of the time I don't know where the hell I'm gonna pop out.
  12. TintaBux

Most people don't know where they are, only guys in outfits show other members than they know ,randoms have no clue unless they follow.
  13. Talizzar

Whack a Mole ejection tubes into a kill zone? What a stupid idea! Stairs or ramps are need so we can actually see what we are getting ourselves into. I like the Max crash idea. I can't believe, ok I can, that SOE is allowing the placement of a mana turret there.

When did cracker jacks start putting game design degrees as prizes.
  14. Sifer2

True they might as well had been teleporters since its a defender only one way path. I think the idea was to make it cost you some time to get from point A to B though. Which is actually intelligent design on their part. Defenders should not be able to immediately reach the capture point from their spawn. So if you give them a route there it needs to at least take travel time. The problem here though is the tunnel exits are easily camped. So if the enemy has breached the perimeter your probably screwed either way.
  15. woooow

mainly because I am busy trying to approach the end of the tunnel from a different position to deal with the turret/tank parked on top of it instagibing people
  16. Sworaven

They're death-traps. They're useless when the base is overrun.
  17. Zan_Aus

God. They are not useless or death traps or whatever. They add multiple exits which forces the enemy to split their numbers and many are in spots that can't be tank/air farmed, you will only face fellow infantry. Is this not enough?

For example, in the Amp station some of the tunnels exit up on the outer walls just above the gen rooms. You couldn't ask for a more advantageous exit.

If people weren't whiners or ******* then you would have 10 people bursting up out of the exit instead of one loner trying his best popping up amongst 10 campers.
  18. FireKetchup

Same reason people have always run out to be slaughtered by whatever is camping them (HE, Zephyr, other infantry...). People are stupid.
  19. zukhov

Its difficult to loacte the tunnels at first because the entrance to them is not obvious and almost hidden when you spawn.

Navigating them is not hard at all, if you use the minimap you get a pretty good idea where you are going to pop out. After you have done it a couple of times you can get very quickly to where you need to go.

Obviously, the exits are going to be camped - eventually and if the enemy has enough force. As there are several exits and the spawn room to camp now, its much easier to break a camp than it was before. Attackers have to spread themselves much more thinly. Defenders can quickly concentrate a force.

For those of you that don't know where they are. At the back of the spawn room, behind a wall there are stairs going down. They take you to the tunnels that propel you along a shaft at high speed. Usually you can exit near a SCU or the east/west side of the base.
  20. KHrev

I hate to be entirely negative, but this system seems to be poorly thought out. Most of the mechanics of the game strike me that way, to be honest. I don't see any forethought or creativity going in to the design of systems here. It's almost like the devs haven't played many shooters before, because they are making a lot of the same mistakes that other games have already learned from and corrected in the past. Heck, even PS1 had better map designs, IMHO.

Why they didn't make the tunnels as a system, with exits that could not be camped, is beyond me. All I can figure is that SOE thinks some of their customers really enjoy spawn camping, and they are designing the game to cater to spawn campers. It's tough to figure out what they are thinking here.