Turns out we were right.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Clonecenter-resident, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Clonecenter-resident

We CAN throw our hand grenades farther than the UBGL is launching them.

According to this https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ade&sortcolid=-1&sortasc=true&rowsperpage=250

Thrown hand grenades have a speed of 32 (these are usually in meters per second) with lifetime of 20 (that's seconds before it disappears) and gravity of 1. I'm not sure how the 0.1 drag plays into it but that gives us a theoretical throwing distance of 640m with one of the flattest trajectories in the game.

The UBGL has 50 speed (so just a smidge faster than you can throw) with 3 gravity and a lifetime of three. Ignoring the gravity for a second and just looking at speed and lifetime we can get these to go maximum 150m before they disappear from the world.

I thought we were all joking. :(

Way to go on the stealth nerf SOE. I hate you guys so much right now.
    • Up x 1
  2. Tanelorn

Stealth nerf... +1
  3. TheWolf1973

SOE will now institute the Tommy-John nerf. And eveyone will be able to drop a frag down their own pants.
    • Up x 2
  4. Yastin

I... Why? Why would they do this? I've never even been killed by a rifle grenade... Jeeze, what's the point, now? Are they encouraging use at short range? Has Sony never seen an indirect-fire weapon? Hey... Maybe they can give the engi a deployable mortar, so they have a cqc alternative?
  5. FateJH

150m sounds pretty good for a weapon that's supposed to be medium range.
  6. Clonecenter-resident

Well with the arc it has now, it practically IS a mortar. Well, not the range obviously but the arc is about right.

Side note, with the new 11.5m minimum arming distance it can't deal any damage in the first 7.6% of it's maximum range.

Also, and maybe this is just me, but the old arc was very intuitive. I could hit dudes with zero problems with that thing, I just had a feel for it. Now with this new arc I'll waste 5 rounds trying to figure out where it's landing and getting it on my target every time I want to hit something... God help me if I have to move but want to keep hitting the same target.
  7. Clonecenter-resident

How does taking 3 seconds to get there sound? With the slow speed and high arc you almost HAVE to drop an ammo pack and just use it as suppression fire. I used to try to pick and choose my shots and use it on targets of opportunity etc. But if they want me to just sit back and mortar the ever loving jeebus out of things, then by golly, that's what I'll do.
  8. Cluckubangbang

OMG, I LOL'd :)
  9. Weylin

I never had a chance to use a UBGL, all I know is that I was constantly killed in one hit by them at any range, close or far away.
    Wasn't standing still, either.

So now they have the trajectory of a Fury? Worse?
  10. FateJH

People had been asking for Engineer mortars, so I'm not complaining about them turning the underbarrel into a mortar unit rather than creating a custom weapon system. It's actually a good example of the dev team realizing how exploitable the weapon could be for direct combat and modifying it into a support weapon. Personally, I think the person losing most on this is the carbine-wielding LA who chose it strictly as an UBGL in the same vein as the old Half Life MP-5. It's still probably useful for their hover over the vehicle and drop C4 + grenade tactic.

Additionally, 3s for 150m is fine. The MK19 takes about 2s to explode a target about 200m away, and that's an emplaced weapon that does exclusive grenade launching. (Of course, using realism as an argument is a slippery slope with this game ...).
  11. KAHR-Alpha

This is exactly why you shouldn't forget drag in there, does anyone ever remember throwing a grenade across half a kilometer?
    • Up x 5
  12. Mootar

Noobtubes are the FPS equivalent of BAD CAT AIDS and have been a blight on every online FPS they have besmirched with their presence.

The fact they were only abused for a short period of time before getting the nerf into uselessness they richly deserve is a rare highlight for this dev team.
    • Up x 1
  13. Artaxarta

Whilst I do think the UBGL nerf went too far, the premise of this post is completely ridiculous. Go on, show me the video of you throwing your nade 640 meters. The only instance in which this "fact" (if even correct) would be relevant would be if you were DROPPING your grenade on someone 640 meters below you, in which case it would still be irrelevant because you wouldn't render any target that can be affected by a grenade at that distance, and your grenade would explode without their client detecting a hit.

So fine. Make a case for a UBGL buff. Just do it with a sensible argument that has at least minimal relevance to the game, please. There's enough theorycraft and "it's X because I said Y" posts as it is.
    • Up x 2
  14. Jurav

I'm not sure where the numbers came from, but I know that I cannot throw a grenade 650m. Theoretical is much different than how it actually works in-game.

Look at it this way....Standing on the cliff at the Crown, I can almost hit the bridge with a UBGL. I cannot even come close to reaching the bridge with a thrown grenade from there.
  15. Wardancer

Except that the UBGL is not useless by any means, they are actually better now than they were simply because they are reliable and actually kill what they hit instead of dealing some damage. Sure a few meters extra range would not hurt but they are far from useless.
  16. Clonecenter-resident

that is why i used the word theoretical. i even used the disclaimer stating that i do not know how the drag factors in. i wasnt trying to hide anything in my statement.
  17. Jkar

Aye, the UBGL isn't useless only it's reticule is absolutely useless now and should be changed. After a bit of adjusting I'm already killing people with a single round again, but the reticule is next to no help in doing so.
  18. Clonecenter-resident

thats interesting because from the warpgate spawnroom door i cannot get one to detonate on the ammo tower that is 145m away. i can get it to detonate on the ground a few meters in front of it, but not any closer. maybe its a bug with the tower itself. i woild have to d0 more testing.

also, i linked where the numbers came from, the same source everyone uses when discussing weapons stats.
  19. Kediec

Well, considering you can reload the ammo for the UBGL from an Engi ammo box, but have to go to a terminal for a new grenade, i'm perfectly fine with the shorter distance. It's isn't like they still don't insta kill, and i find them better now because i can actually " lob " them better with the increased drop the currently use.
  20. Clonecenter-resident

right, which makes it a pure guessing game. also the reticle is what made it painfully obvious something had changed. it used to be useful. now you have to aim 2 or 3 reticles below your reticle.