Did you make changes to the audio levels?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Wolvers, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Wolvers

Bass sounds are distorted in my headset since the patch, even from the Orion firing when using it. Anyone else notice a change?

Did you change anything on the audio side?
  2. Jac70

'In the past, we didn't have a way to control the overall volume of the game - if things got too heated and there were multiple HE rounds and explos occurring, the game could very easily distort.

As a temporary measure, we reduced the master bus to -6dB (half-volume) to compensate for this, but with this weekend's patch, we introduced a new limiter that, in essence, keeps the game from hitting those dangerous distortion levels, but allowing full-volume playback. If things get too loud, the limiter will reduce the volume of the whole game accordingly to keep it within safer levels.

It might still need some tweaking, but it's a great starting point!

- RodneyGates - Audio Director'
    • Up x 1
  3. Azzer

That might explain why, yesterday, all the in-game sound effects (ALL of them) became incredibly muffled and quiet (voice-chat was still loud and fine).

I've never had distorted sound before - I have some sublime and awesome speakers, and I've never had any crackling or distortion... combat has always sounded great.

Now it's being artificially "throttled"? Great...
  4. Wolvers

Thanks Jac70. That explains it then, they've increased the levels. I'm hit by yet another of SOE's bugs!

Could someone from SOE please comment on this?
  5. Jac70

You sure someone wasn't keying their mic. Some people just seem to key their mic for no reason and this dampens all game audio.

Works fine for me, most people seem to think the sound improved since the patch - more dynamic with a 'heavier' sound for the weapons. Still, he did say the were still tweaking the system.
  6. Azzer

Yes, was very different to the auto thingy (squelch or whatever it is) when people talk (and nobody was talking). The sound stayed that way until I gave in and restarted the client. It was noticably different to simply going "quiet" - it actually went very muffled... I can only assume that's the new "dampening" on bass, but it sounded very messed up and simply wrong/bugged.
  7. Rodney Gates Audio Director

Best way for us to make smart adjustments is to hear what the game is doing in the live environment - some things are difficult to tune without a lot of players and activity, which is what we're listening to this week.
    • Up x 1
  8. BenYeeHua

So why not just give a test server, and e-mail/PM us for the test time.
    And we(tester) will create the sound at the right place with your(devs) order.:)
  9. Wolvers

Thanks for the response Rodney. Is it safe to say that your new limiter is missing some excessive bass levels? I find the distortion quite bad during heavy battles.
  10. BenYeeHua

Did you try MaxVoices=192 in the game?
  11. Wolvers

Nope, should I of?
  12. BenYeeHua

Yup, you can find it on the in-game setting, which showing the soundpath(or what, I always forgot its names) which has a default values with 9x.:)
    Just testing it will scrolling(zoom) in the map, hear the sound.
    And also SampleRate=44100 will increase the FPS.
    • Up x 1
  13. Wolvers

OK, cheers.

How do you mean by values of 9x? 192 isn't divisible by 9.
  14. BenYeeHua

Sorry for my Bad English, I means it has a default value which is 92 or 94, I can't remember the number for a long time.:p
  15. Wolvers

No need to apologise. So what does increasing it to 192 actually do?
  16. BenYeeHua

So you can mix more sound in one times.;)
    And I also found more like
    BufferCount
    BufferLength
    I will test it, but not now as I am replying at this forum.
    • Up x 1
  17. Rodney Gates Audio Director

Even if the limiter catches the excessive peaks, distortion can still occur - we're remedying that now.
    • Up x 1
  18. BenYeeHua

Yup, as there are too many people in this game firing at the same time, which I love it.;)
    So did changing
    BufferCount
    BufferLength
    Will help?
    And what default value for them?
    So I can save the time to find the value.:)
  19. Wolvers

Where am I looking for these sound settings? I don't have them in UserOptions.ini. I see there's -6db in SoundSettings.xml though.

Great, cheers.
  20. BenYeeHua

lol, I just closed notepad++, but I saw it just on the line 256102.