Props to the Sound Guys

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Policenaut, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Dusty El Lion

The new sounds are one of the highlights of the update, and I salute all the sound engineers who worked on it. Nothing was better then Gal dropping a squad and having the random music chime in with the Heavy Metal NC anthem.
  2. Rodney Gates Audio Director

In the past, we didn't have a way to control the overall volume of the game - if things got too heated and there were multiple HE rounds and explos occurring, the game could very easily distort.

As a temporary measure, we reduced the master bus to -6dB (half-volume) to compensate for this, but with this weekend's patch, we introduced a new limiter that, in essence, keeps the game from hitting those dangerous distortion levels, but allowing full-volume playback. If things get too loud, the limiter will reduce the volume of the whole game accordingly to keep it within safer levels.

It might still need some tweaking, but it's a great starting point!

- Rodney
    • Up x 4
  3. {joer

Very good, the cycler used to make my headphones distort horribly.
  4. Deathrus

The game sounds better. GOOD JOB. Wish the rest of the DEV team was on par with you guys :).
  5. Reloaded

I haven't noticed all of the new sounds, but I do like how much "louder" things are in general. Even more like a war now! I did notice that when a Galaxy flew over head, it sounded much better.

What causes the new music to be played? Are there specific events? I really like the new music. Great work!
  6. Fluxpod

Hi Rodney.That is a good idea and i say it upfront i dont know if you guys have some sort of summing or mixer objekt for certain soundgroups atm but there is still some Distortion and heavy choking in Heavy Populated areas.The Patch was very good tho for Individual sounds especially weapons.Thanks for that.A Fellow Post Monkey.
  7. IMTasty

Indeed notice this as well the little time I've played, well done for the audio guys. :)
  8. Trelawney

Hi Rodney

Thank you and great work from you and team for the audio improvements and limiter in GU02.
    Quick feedback notes :
    - Flare (VS) Gun appears to be silent (or near) - please could you try both in and out of scope (e.g. IRNV)
    - Flash (Quad bike) Horn is now barely audible (maybe a tricycle tinkle would be fun :D)
    - Agree that some VS weapons (except NS-11 and new SMG) are a little underwhelming compared to TR/NC - any chance they could be beefed up please? (I think this sometimes leads to the incorrect perception VS guns are weaker - they're not)
    - Not sure if related to separate lag issue, but sound often goes out of sync with the action/animations. Example In many instances I die and -then- hear the shot that killed me, or I hear shots (no contact sound) then when I do get contact sound death is instantaneous (as though everything is out of sync).

Hope to hear more in-game music - I think it's really atmospheric and would love to hear new tracks in future!

/salute
  9. Scrobes

I wonder how the VS guns would sound like if they used something similar to the blaster cannons from Slave I in this clip below. (Yes it's easy to get distracted by the very unique seismic charges he uses, but listen to the super rapid firing lasers being shot at Obi-Wan's ship).

Skip to 8 mins in!

lol I have to admit, re-watching this - I am wondering why Obi-Wan's ship isn't a smoking ruin considering that ROF and range. ;p
  10. Skiptis

So I wasn't hallucinating when I thought the game volume had dropped and then went up again in hotfix! I had gone nearly 12 hours without coffee at that point so it was hard to be sure. Thanks for the explanation. :p

As an information sponge tidbits like these are really fun to read, hope we get to see more of you even if it's just for small updates. I suspect your work might be less controversial on the forums compared to some of your colleagues' (cough, game balancing), as well. ;)

Any chance we could get some more control over the new music? It is new, right? Either way I'd love to hear more of it, if nothing else by having it play for longer when it's triggered.
  11. Riekopo

Appreciate the new sounds, good job guys!
  12. TheRagingGerbil

The 3D sound is working properly now as well. Can easily tell enemy gunfire and location to me spatially. Great work team!
  13. MaxDamage

Amen to that, and the MCG sounds glorious now.
  14. Ptyochromis

That voice acting is awful. Whoever listened to the NC and VS announcer and player character voices and said, "yes, we will use these" is out of their mind.
  15. Ghosty11

Rodney,

The Flare makes no sound at all when fired, at least on on my client. Mine is outfitted with a 3.4x dot scope, fore grip, compensator, and HV ammo ( I've heard that attachment can cause this to happen).

Other than that, props on the new sounds, as my carbine no longer sounds like a marshmallow launcher.
  16. randalthorr

Yeah. It feels like I'm ripping the enemy muthafakas real good with these new sounds.

The new re-load animations are pretty damn awesome too.
  17. MrK

I was completely lost in game trying to recognise if that sound on the other side of the rock was friendly or not, and such

CURSE YOU SOE, NO WAY I PAY $$$ FOR THis....

Awww wai

actually, freaking nice job, guys !
  18. Birddog01

Automatic weapons sound like air guns now. Don't like it.
  19. Banick

Agreed! One of the best updates yet. Made the NC weapons sound much more meaty.
  20. NC_agent00kevin

Agreed; the NC GD-22S sounds better, the Gauss Saw is better, and the NC weapons that sounded like a horse blowing its lips no longer sound like that. Awesome changes!