Soundtrack: Where's Don Ferrone's music...?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Rivenshield, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Rivenshield

I just came across this, courtesy of a post on Planetside Universe:

http://jeffbroadbent.com/planet.html

Apparently all the music we hear in-game -- and that we heard on the widely leaked pre-production soundtrack last year -- is Mr,. Broadbent's work. Which is fine; it kicks *ss. But where is the music of Don Ferrone?

We know Sony hired him. We know he recorded a live orchestral version. We know he thanked the beta community for getting his foot back in the door and hoped we enjoyed his work. So where is it? Has it been deferred until some unspecified date...? And if so, why?

For those not in the know, Don created the soundtrack for the first incarnation of Planetside. It included some wonderfully rich and immersive ambient music, including this desert travel music. Imagine rolling through the prehistoric seabottom in the north of Indar with this pulsing in the background, and you'll understand why a lot of vets wanted him back. Hopefully we'll hear this again soon, or something akin to it.

• Up x 5
  2. Stellus

He's listed in the credits as the creator of the main theme, which means maybe royalty payment. I didn't know he was slated to come back and do the tracks. In fact, I was pretty disappointed when I found out the music we hear now was not of his own craft.

He did great work - heres hoping we hear more of him.
  3. FoolishLobster

Don Ferrone - Sci-fi immersion king
  4. dBMachine

Wow! I only had to listen to the first few seconds of that to know it would be awesome!!

That kind of music would kick *** if we had ambient world triggers for these tracks. Like if you stumbled across some hidden unkown place or you get involved in some random tactical battles and this music slowly fades in.
  5. Rivenshield

The music in PS1 was pretty much constant. You had travel themes, battle themes, a faction-specific sanctuary theme, landscape themes.... each fading into the other depending on where you were and what was happening.

Here's a combat theme from Core Combat -- the only PS1 expansion. In this case you're fighting in a dimly-lit cave with ziplines going in every direction. Didn't care much for the battlefield, but I used to go down there anyway so I could kill people to this music:

6. Rivenshield

El bumpo. Anyone know?

Could a dev poke their head in and clarify things?
  7. Rodney Gates Audio Director

The three cues Don Ferrone wrote for PlanetSide 2 play at the existing character selection screen. This is the main screen all players start at once they have already-created characters, for each empire.

- Rodney
  8. Rivenshield

Thank you for the direct reply.

I'm sorry, but back in beta we were told he'd be working up a new soundtrack. He was excited, we were excited, and we were looking forward to the results -- no offense to Mr. Broadbent. This is..... disconcerting.

Is there any possibility Mr. Ferrone might return in the future to compose continent/environment specific ambient music for PS2? Battle-wise, this game is an audio feast. But it remains largely barren of music.