[Suggestion] Add Arming time to HA Rockets

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Karragos, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Karragos

.5 or 1 second. These were made to destroy tanks. They're infantry point blank weapons in addition to this. There is an arming time for Grenade Launchers, why not these?

Thank you,
    Karragos
    • Up x 2
  2. ROMNEYTRON

Rockets are fine the way they are. They don't insta-gib infantry atm unless it's a direct hit. They've already nerfed the decimator by adding a pretty insane drop, so the one shot gib at long range is pretty much gone now.

In all honestly, if you get killed by a HA up close using rockets, then the guy deserved the kill. Unless this said HA was running around with his launcher already out, it took him precious seconds to pull out his launcher in preparation to fire. Plenty of time for you to have killed him by then. Another thing to note: What happens when you're right next to a tank? Are you saying we'll have to run back to sufficient range and then fire?

Before you say that I'm just an HA user defending my way of life: That's only partially true. HA makes up about 25% of my play time, followed closely by 20% light assault followed by light Engi and vehicles.
    • Up x 1
  3. Karragos

Nah, I appreciate a good discussion. I haven't even been the victim of the rockets a bunch of times. I just see so many people using them in lieu of their weapons in infantry fights. They have them out the whole time, get a direct hit amidst a crowd of allies/enemies, kill their target, minor splash damage to others around them, and move on. You're probably right that there is nothing wrong with them. It just annoys me seeing people running around with rockets, and shooting them at infantry when they have decent LMG's for that :)

Thanks for the thoughtful input Romneytron.
    • Up x 1
  4. Grotpar

Exact same situation as the grenade launcher.

If one gets arming time, the other should, too.
    I use the grenade launcher mainly as an anti-vehicle tool, I'm forced to run back to sufficient range to fire, as well.
  5. xMihr

Been killed a handful of times by getting the drop on an HA only for him to turn and rocket me with shields up in CQC. Frustrating way to die but doesn't happen enough for me to worry too much about it.
  6. vilehydra

The only people I ever see use the RL as an anti infantry weapons are newer players and those that I got the drop on while they where trying to hit a tank.

But I main as an HA tank hunter so I am a little biased here, putting an arming time on the rocket would really make it difficult for me to do my job. I usually ambush tanks and hit their rears about 10-20 M so I can get a guaranteed rear hit in. This zone is also where the tank is usually the least effective at dealing with infantry. Adding an arm time means that I can't do that.

Another possibility would be that it just does less damage to infantry, and that would be completely acceptable.
  7. ROMNEYTRON

My pleasure :D

I wouldn't mind seeing splash dmg. nerfed in exchange for higher direct hit damage though.
  8. Minsc

Perhaps an arming timer unless it hits a vehicle? The ability to quickly shields up and turn around and kill point blank is a bit ridiculous. Modern RPGs have an arming time to prevent the shooter from hurting themselves, but the close range vehicle pot-shots are incredibly useful.

Here is how it works: an arming timer that gets overridden by a magnetic trigger if it hits a vehicle.

Suggested distance: ~10m (the same as underbarrel grenade launchers)

Crazy idea: if grenades/rockets don't explode on contact, they fall to the ground and explode when the arming timer ends.
  9. Iksniljiksul

LOL! The UBGL doesn't do much damage to vehicles. It does a little up in the rear, but only enough to help it along to dying.
  10. Minsc

It can two shot a scythe actually. It, plus a grenade and 2 C4 are the only way for an LA to solo a sundie too.
  11. Draxo

I do agree with the general sentiment. The HA is the only class that is anti-everything, and rocket spam is getting crazy. A small resource cost for rockets might be an idea.
  12. Grotpar

Yup.
    I guess some people lack the creativity to do more than sit in a tree chucking grenades at people who can't see you.
  13. Minsc

It's a good strategy for a short time, though I mostly use a shotgun so it doesn't work for me. Also, you only have two underbarrel grenades, so unless an engie dropped in the tree with you, you only have a short time to sit in a tree shooting people who can't see you. And the arming timer for it mitigates camping to a degree.
  14. Grotpar

You can just be an engineer yourself.
  15. Niian

It seems like they kind of want the HA the be the learn to play class, and while I don't agree with nerf ideas for the launchers, I would think maybe making them have to specialize between anti-infantry and anti-vehicle. not necessarily make them carry rockets or LMGs but, make them balance, like a TR could take a chain gun and like a grenade launcher or something between an assault riffle and and LMG and a full sized launcher. just a theory, not sure how it would work out.
  16. Dingus148

This is a terrible, terrible idea and you should have a long, hard look at yourself for suggesting it