BFR's (Mechs) = Bad

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jyrox, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Jyrox

I played Battletech back in the 1980's.

I wanted to be in a mech. When PS1 gave us BFR's....I hated it!

Let's have no mechs...or, if SOE want mechs, please have split-servers.

I loved PS1 original game.

A mech game needs to be designed around a mech. PS2 doesn't do this. PS2 is a three arm game (infantry, armoured, aircraft).

Not as interlocking as Napoleonics (infantry, cavalry, artillery) I grant you.

No mechs please!
    • Up x 1
  2. HannaDest

I love Battletech. That said, mechs and chicken walkers do not belong into PS2.
    • Up x 1
  3. Alien51

What?
    Isn't Mech in the Armored category?
    You're referencing Napoleonics in a Sci Fi?
  4. HannaDest

Aye but sometimes I shudder at the thought what might come next time to their mind and is justified by the rule of cool.
  5. nabiul

With how easy it is to flip a vehicle on a rock and instantly explode (even on a small ditch with the lightning), could you imagine a walking mech in this game.
  6. HannaDest

Yeah Sci Fi.... you know we fight very like ww2 style most of the time.
  7. Lambchopz

I don't want to even think about this.
  8. Jyrox

No sir, I'm referencing the interlocking aspects. Not the weaponary of a by-gone age.
  9. Alien51

? I suppose we are a bit closer to that than some Sci Fi. But...
    • Airpower is all hover. Not WW2.
    • Infantry all carry full-auto guns. Not WW2.
    • Recharging Shields, Cloaking, Jetpacks... Not WW2.
    • Lock On Missiles. Not WW2.
    I can see the similarities, but overall I think this game is more Sci Fi based.
  10. Littleman

BFR's would have been well received if they:
    • Didn't have a shield impervious to anything larger than a 9mm round.
    • Didn't have interchangeable weapons systems that could dominate everything.
    • Didn't have the armor of an MBT.
    • Couldn't fly.
    • Weren't one man capable... like PS2's tanks are now!
    The concept was well received, the implementation ruined everyone's faith in SOE over night (in case the NGE wasn't enough.)

Well... the TR have the TSAR-42 sniper rifle. Practically a KAR as it comes with iron sights by default.
  11. Alien51

In case you haven't noticed, the 'Interlocking Aspects' have grown in number and changed somewhat since Napoleon's days.
  12. HannaDest

Yeah its somehow stuck in between. It is like all these Sci Fi space battles ya know with battleships, cruisers, destroyers, carriers etc etc. they may have some fancy tech but it is all done in ww2 style. thats what I meant.
  13. bodmans

like in any other thread with mech in the title, shuddup, not gonna happen
  14. Alien51

Well you have to forget about the Space Battles, and ask what are Sci Fi Ground Battles like?
  15. nabiul

Not like this since the level of technology in this game is a significant downgrade from modern military systems.
  16. Alien51

Eh if you read the Lore it makes sense as to why Auraxis doesn't have these modern military systems.
    Sci Fi doesn't mean 'more technologically advanced than today's technology'. Just things conceivable by science which isn't a reality. Such as Jetpacks, Shields, and the like.
  17. nabiul

1000 years into the future and lacking even 1960's fire control systems,....... my sides.
  18. HannaDest

Sci Fi mainly means "what if" usually basing on technology. Because of this a medieval movie with a guy finding an asssault rifle with a ton of ammo and a manual(he can read) is Sci Fi and for example Star Wars is not. Just wanted to clarify.
    • Up x 2
  19. Alien51

You haven't read the Lore have you?
    http://wiki.planetside-universe.com/ps/Lore#The_Stranded_Fleet

An Exploratory Expedition Fleet got stranded. Not even the majority of it survived.
    Therefore they probably don't possess the entire arsenal of the TR back on Earth.

Nearly 200 years have passed since these 60,000 survivors landed on the Planet Auraxis. They probably dismantled their Spaceships. And who keeps schematics of every single weapon the TR uses? Definitely not a few surviving stranded Exploration ships. They're not factories... The Enterprise can't make it's own Photon Torpedoes ya know. Or maybe they can... Anyhow you get the idea.
  20. justme

Mechs would be awesome! :eek:
    but firstly I think power should be up, but defense should be real low