Game unplayable since update due to invisible ground

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Xiphos, Feb 2, 2013.

1. general_azure

did some testing at the impact crater... my (flat, broken) ground texture is actually about 100m above the crater floor. also, the invisible terrain does not block line of sight on players (nope, cant hide that sunderer until this is fixed).
  2. sagolsun

So I got kind of pissed about this and decided to debug this myself.

Solution follows:
    1.Go to Planetside 2/Resources/Assets

2.Delete the directory containing the unpacked assets from _X_ patches ago that you completely forgot about....
    [IMG]

D'oh!

3.Enjoy the game and FYI, you broke it.
  3. AndreyMusaty

Also I would like to report that I'm experiencing some of the issues described above:

1. FPS stutter, jumping from my normal 30-35 to 8-14 fps (even 3-4 at times) with a frequency of more that once per second (roughly). Feels like game render is being slowed down/locked at regular intervals of time. An overzealous multi-thread locking bug?

2. Pain screens while on the spawn buildings at Amp station (or is it by design?).

3. Players popping out of render, while being targeted and even shot at, most noticeable in busy locations, like the Crown, seemingly not related to distance, like before, but maybe culling distance value is simply "jumping" wildly?

4. Didn't notice any effect of the new XP system, i.e. always getting 100xp per kill (will try pay more attention, as I'm not quite sure).
  4. general_azure

looks like you're right, additional files left in the assets folder break the game. works a lot better now ^^
  5. Bloodlet

About to try this. I must be missing something since I only had .pack files in there. I deleted the whole Assets folder and am re-downloading it. Was that what I was supposed to do?
  6. Skadi

Ellaborate how i broke my game by installing a patch they provided...
    PS. i dont have any unpacked assets
  7. Bloodlet

Either way it didn't work for me unfortunately with re-downloading the entire Assets folder.
  8. CyclesMcHurtz Code Monkey

If you do this, it will re-download the entire directory full of data. Doing a "Validate Game Assets" from the launcher wrench/spanner icon should be the equivalent, but only download the files that are found to be different.
    • Up x 2
  9. MurderBunneh

Make sure your video settings are set to application controlled. I did some tinkering and was able to turn settings on and off from my CCC which I was unable to do pre-patch. Some different AA settings cause me not to see effects others on med settings caused the world to pretty much not render.
    On the other hand I was able to get a few more fps by tinkering with my filtering options.
    TO DEVS Please allow us to adjust settings add more options in the graphics setting please.
  10. sagolsun

Keyword here is unpacked, as in the folder containing the unpacked content of the .pack files.

PS2 first tries to load the requested asset as a physical file, failing that looks in the .pack file.

What some of us did was unpacking the game assets via a 3rd party unpacker, peek around at how the game is structured from the inside and forget moving/deleting the assets folder. This resulted in PS2 loading old unpacked physical asset files rather than looking inside the .pack files and as a consequence all sorts of crazy bugs.

I noticed this when I started looking through what handles PS2 is using and I had a "d'oh" moment when I realized it's loading the raw files (which were from 2 patches ago) rather than the new and updated packfiles.
  11. sagolsun

If you're experiencing the same issue the OP is - disappearing ground - it's most likely because you unpacked the game files and they're conflicting with the latest map format changes, resulting in a visually flat landscape.

If you're experiencing a different issue then it's not going to help. It's a very specific problem caused by a very specific user screwup.
  12. AgentRev

The ground was invisible for me, and indeed I had used a .PACK extractor found on Symthic to extract the game files (because I wanted to put the music on my MP3 player, but sadly the sound files are encoded in an unknown format), and I had kept files from the last update. Deleted the extracted files, and boom, ground is back! Thanks sagolsun.
  13. sagolsun

I bet Cyclez is right about now asking the community manager if he can officially call us a bunch of idiots for doing that. :D
  14. Xiphos

I managed to solve the issue. I did indeed have extra files in the /Assets folder (a python script which extracts game files and the /Assets/assets folder it creates).

I also had a second install of PS2 and I'm not sure which one I was actually launching, but I deleted it.

Everything works now.
  15. Ubad00d

So was this a fix? And by deleting the directory containing unpacked assets do you mean just delete the directory called 'Assets' ?
  16. BenYeeHua

Nope, it means delete the folder inside the Assets, that containing your unpacked assets.
    If you don't find any folder inside it, then means this is not a fix for you.
    • Up x 1
  17. sagolsun

What BenYeeHua said - if you didn't unpack your game assets then you have no unpacked assets to delete, just a bunch of .pack files - which are up to date packed assets.
  18. BR4DDERS

I had the same thing happened to me yesterday, all I did to fix it was to delete the useroptions.ini.
  19. Mirabilis

I've had disappearing ground before the patch. I'm using Steam and have never unpacked the assets - I've just checked the folder and they're all good.

So the fool telling people they have broken the game needs to - at the very least - qualify his comments. This is a real issue for people who have not unpacked the game files which means it is a genuine bug that needs fixing. If SOE believe its just people poking around with files they will not look into it and it will not get fixed. The last thing we need is confusion.

If you have this issue it is quite possible it's a bug in the game. Don't try and fix it if you haven't broken it. Ignore posters that tell you its your fault, and be sure to report the bug using the official technical support channels.

If you feel inclined to point the finger at users for breaking the game and causing faults, make damned sure you know what you're talking about. If you don't, think twice and shut your face.
    • Up x 1
  20. Roydon

You should probably read through the entire thread before posting next time.. Because he did explain himself.. Idiot.