Patch is 4.4 gigs!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Fluff, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Frohike

It is mainly because of changes in the Engine for improved performance, at least that's what they twittered some weeks/months ago..
  2. Brissles

4.462 megabits?

I'm pretty sure you're wrong. In every way.
  3. LittleDi

I'm not asking if it was justified or not. I just don't remember ever downloading 4 gigs in a patch in my life. And I've been around since before Ultima Online.
  4. Brissles

No, it's due to the fact that most of the game's content is stored in .pack files in the Resources/Assets folder. You can see them downloading when you install a patch. They're all around ~20-40MB each.

Any time they want to change even one thing, we have to re-download the entire associated .pack file for that content.

LOL.
  5. Momo93

Well, I admit I over exaggerated a bit, but I am still stuck doing nothing for some time :D. Already 30% yay, now I am playing some Yu-Gi-Oh Joey the Passion to kill some time xD.
  6. Fluff

I duno where some of you live but 13 seconds to d/l 4.4 gigs seems... a bit far out. For most of us real humans, the d/l of 4.4 gigs requires at least 1-2 hours minimum as we aren't all blessed by unlimited bandwidth or speed. In fact, 4.4gigs for me is a big bite because that represents for me 4.4% of my total monthly limit of 100 so I never look forward to big useless d/l like these for sure.
  7. Glass

Knowing that every base was changed, it makes sense that it is as big as it is.
  8. Fluff

At 778k (if I can sustain that) per second, if my maths aren't wrong, 2.80 gigs per hour, so this patch for me is roughly just under 2 hours.
  9. ArmedGoose

Perfect time to catch up on some already pirated downloaded tv shows from the last few days... ;)
  10. Sinist

Mine finished in under an hour. Not sure exactly how long.

I only have a standard USA cable/broadband connection which are worse then what Somalia has nowadays I hear.
  11. X3Killjaeden

if you got a 1GB/day limit that's a big deal...
    4.4 gigs... the only way i can imagine why it would be that large is that they have made small changes to all the large graphics assetts, some yet-to-announce changes/content, wanted to make the update feel substantial by increasing size artificially,or gave a s~ about optimizing patch size...
  12. Stordito

the dot is the separator duh... it's not a comma.
  13. Brissles

There's quite a significant difference. 4.462 != 4,462.

If you recognised that then you must agree you're wrong. If not, you've learned something today.

It's also MB, not Mb.
  14. Zecthans

Made me laugh.
  15. eXpo

I swear people just enjoy moaning.

Yes its 4.4GB cause they are obviously changing loads of stuff. I bet most of the people moaning about the patch size are the people that moan about the game and want everything changed.

Took me around 45mins to download the patch. If your internet sucks or you have a download limit, then upgrade. Its not SOE's fault if you cant download files to play their game. Jesus.

Downloading files/games is the future with systems such as Steam and Origin doing so well. 4.4GB isn't that big when you consider it to something like BF3 which is a 17GB download.
  16. Brissles

Lol, as if every base isn't an instance of a model.

Please re-consider your comment. Additionally, perhaps refer yourself to my previous post (#44).
  17. Zhorg

HHAHAHAHAHAHA OMG
    CANT. STOP. LAUFFING.!! LMFAO

i'm totally imagining this woman sitting in front of her screen like that.
    "wut wut, petsj mor ten 4 gb wut wut :( ?"

Time to watch the 8th season of it's always sunny in philadelphia :D!
  18. MrK

Wrong, PS2 patcher use delta patching method. You download the changes only, not the whole files. After that, the patcher changes all needed files and apply what it downloaded. We'd have to re-download like 8G if they did what you explained.
  19. Fluff

I wouldn't open my mouth so fast as you will make yourself stupid, some people do not have options to upgrade or remove limits, some ISP depending on the country you live in will strangle the costumers with high cost and low options, always keep in mind that not everyone that plays online games lives in the US :p
  20. Jestunhi

People still have bandwidth caps? o_O