Upcoming Patch: Magrider Nerfed, Vanguard & Prowler Buffed!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by bluEyedillusions, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Xasapis

25% increase in the overall damage is 25% increase on both shots.

1000 points increased by 25% = 1250

500 points increased by 25% = 625 times two = 1250
    • Up x 1
  2. Wardancer

Strange that they are not talking about the friction issue because that is what i feel is the biggest reason the magrider is hated. It can simply climb mountains others cannot because they have no grip, and they start sliding as soon as there is just a little un-even ground.
  3. Xasapis

It is pretty obvious that they don't want to fix friction. From all the changes it is pretty obvious that they want the NC/TR tanks to fire stationary and the VS one to fight always mobile.
  4. Xaturas

Yeap I can shoot stationary no problem with me, but why the *** does my tank slide while I stay stationary. Nothing makes your day like making this 800m shoot and your tank just slides to the left/right and go downs at the same time, ******** on your aim all the time ...
    This butter tracks crap is just over the top.
  5. Jestunhi

Are they making random changes to the prowler instead of trying to find which one would actually make it more viable?

It is not lacking damage or bullet velocity. It's a high speed tank with recoil between shots, which makes it a tank for rushing the flank and firing into the enemies rear / side.

Neither of the changes in the OP will make the deploy more worth using, and the damage increase is pointless since dos isn't the issue.
  6. Xasapis

I think they try to move the prowlers away from infantry farming since they seem to be doing it with double efficiency compared to the other two factions. Well, I don't see how that will change any time soon, prowler is a cert farming machine.
  7. Squirreli

I love how this thread is going on about the prowler being completely OP after the patch... As it stands before the buff, the lightning HEAT is more effective weapon against tanks than the prowler HEAT. The lightning is a bit more stable platform, the gun resets after recoil and the crosshair is centred on the firing line, which translates into a better hit percentage.

Relevant tank shell direct damage statistics, taken from here. Probably out of date and contain errors, but best I've found so far.

Vanguard HEAT 1750
    Magrider HEAT 1550
    Lightning HEAT 1400
    Prowler HEAT 875

Prowler HEAT post +25% buff: 1093,75

As I said, the damage data is not 100% reliable (so if you have some data pointing otherwise, please post!). Still, so far the Prowler HEAT damage has been ridiculously low when taking into account that it is really hard to hit both shells in quick succession due to not-returning-after-recoil cannon, bouncing up in terrain and crosshairs being off the center line of the cannon.

For a long time I've used Lightning HEAT for anti-vehicle fighting and used Prowler only as a HE-farm-platform. I think this change might make Prowler HEAT worth taking again, which will of course mean that Prowler might actually be a MBT and that infantry will have less HE shells flying at it.

As to the Vulcan: Dunno if nerf or buff really. Even if close damage is lower, a lower damage fall-off might mean that the weapon is more efficient at ranges. Since most encounters are some distance further than the current efficient Vulcan range, this might make the weapon perform a bit better on the whole. Depends a lot on the actual re-balanced values. Too early to really say much about the Vulcan.

tl;dr: Prowler boost is most likely not OP.
  8. Ghodere

The rationale behind the HEAT buff probably comes with the Vulcan nerf. Currently the Prowler is trash without the Vulcan and tons and tons of fun with the Vulcan, though not really very good at overall tank combat. They probably want to make the stock Prowler more competitive and tune down the Vulcan to be more boring in line with the other secondaries.

I love my knife-fighting tank and will be sad if they screw it all up.
  9. Wardancer

The only issue witht he vulcan as i see it though is that there is never a "safe" time if the user misses. Especially noticeable if you are trying to use a lightning. If i rush up to prowler with a rocket launcher and he misses i have time to move in for the kill. If he has a vulcan he just shreds the lightning no matter what.

Tanks heavy hitting weapon should require som decent aim and if you miss you should be in deep **** if fighting close range. But good that the vulcan gets decent range now hopefully because it was abit ***** compared to sarons. But imho they should make sure the rocket launcher 2nd weapon is up to scratch so every faction has a decent weapon for the slot while the faction guns can have extra flavor in terms of different mechanics.
  10. JudgeDeath

lol ... the other tanks allready far outgun the mag ... now even more.

Allso the first thing sounds like a nerf to mobility so ... yeah this should be intresting.
  11. Xasapis

The mobility nerf was retracted for now. Also the statistics show that the magrider performs better in tank vs tank combat by a long margin. The reasons are not clear though.
  12. Antich

That is exactly the problem.
    1. Mags are best at long range due to accurate weapons and ability to dodge hits by sidesteping
    2. Prowlers and vanguards need to close the range
    3. Closing the range meens movement towards the enemy = no dodge and no chance in landing shots(due to turret bouncing) => a couple of free hits for the mags
    4. When they get in range to put their dmg down prowlers and vanguard are already badly damaged => already a lost fight cause the actual difference in shots needed to kill one is like 1-2 shots in their favor( 6/7 vs 8)
    5. Worse to that when you get in range the magrider can just hide behind the obstacle he was using for cover turn around, magboost and get to another cover and the thing starts all over.

P.S. For prowlers and vanguard the shortest way isn´t always a straight line as it is for mags, they usually have to show their side armor while aproaching
    P.P.S Sure, there is always the option to just stay at range and get eaten alive by mags cause a magrider can face you all the time while avoiding shots, you need to show your side to do the same thing.

Funny that the tanks that need to close the gap are the ones that do it the worse. It would actually be easier for the magriders to, if they had any reason for that.
  13. Sabreur

While I agree the Prowler needs a buff, the lockdown change seems like the wrong buff to me. Making your tank COMPLETELY IMMOBILE is suicide. Forget fixing lockdown mode, they need to look at replacing lockdown mode with an ability that actually makes sense for tank warfare.
  14. maxkeiser

What's really funny about all this is that TR are still by FAR the most populous faction. On Woodman the other factions struggle to contain the vast TR horde. Last night Vanu were pushed almost to the WG by TR (and NC).

Now that the prowler is buffed (which I don't particularly mind), what do you think will happen .... you guessed it, more and more people will join the already dominant faction.

Vanu is ALREADY pretty much the least favoured faction.
  15. MrK

People crying about Prowler overbuff don't see how Enforcer changes are going to make VG the new Mag (just 10x less fun to play)
  16. MykeMichail

Actually landing the first hit is just as hard as landing one with the Vanguard. Landing the second hit is several times easier because you've already fired a 'test shot' for ranging/leading your target.

If you miss both shots, then you probably shouldn't be driving a tank.

Compare that with the Vanguard. In the time it takes for your second round to load up, your enemy has moved towards you, away from you, to the left, to the right, has gone from stationary to moving, or has gone up or down a hill, meaning you're pretty much starting from scratch in terms of trying to range him in.

And despite popular belief, the Prowler HEAT doesn't do 'half' the damage of the Vanguard HEAT. Its actually closer to about 60% damage. So even when you miss your first shot, your easy second shot is doing 60% the damage of the Vanguard cannon. Its basically getting a free test shot for 40% damage reduction.

This buff is completely unnecessary and will keep Vanguards firmly in their place as the ***** tank of Planetside 2.
  17. Moerin

Wrong.(for now at least, pre-patch)

Vanguard HEAT - 1750
    Prowler HEAT - 875 (1 shot)

875*2=1750

and for the 25% buff for Prowler HEAT, if im not wrong it will only translate to 4(8) hit's to kill, down from 5(10) before, this is for Mag front.

and for Vanguard i think it will be 4.5(9) shot's to kill (if i am calc correctly) meening you still need a fifth reload and it's an 0.5 ttk decrese as you dont need the sec shot (could be wrong)
  18. Squirreli

Prowler turret doesn't reset after recoil and you have to manually adjust for this horizontal creep in addition to other movement by target, prowler and possible obstructions. The forces the driver to aim and guess correct angle again for any target beyond close range. This in turn slows the actual effective firing speed of the prowler down at any range beyond close range. I'd hazard an un-educated guess that a prowler can at most ranges accurately fire - on average - 3 shells for every 2 shells by the other MBTs. At least for me, the lightning HEAT has so far had better DPS against tanks than the prowler HEAT, since it's shells do more damage and the gun resets after firing. After the buff, maybe you can expect the prowler HEAT to be as good as or even slightly better than a lightning HEAT... Is that really too much? ;)
  19. MykeMichail

Source?

This doesn't seem right. Prowlers have always 3 shot me to the rear armor with HEAT rounds. Oddly, it takes 3 shots to the rear armor with Vanguard HEAT rounds too. The only difference is that against a Prowler, its on fire after the second shot, but with the vanguard, you're not on fire after the second.
  20. ScarabParamit

Good You didn't Use Caps-Lock...