Difference between SOE and "normal" game developers.

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by MGP, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Kiekeboe

Only thing I can give you is a thumbs up good sir.
    • Up x 1
  2. Rhumald

... this is how Blizzard... you know I don't even think they do; name one Game company that does the first you described.
    • Up x 4
  3. Bardock-Sama

With the game itself being quite bland and repetitive, they need these "guess-what-we-changed patches" to keep us ForumSiders on our toes. GJ SOE. ..oO(trollolololol)
    • Up x 2
  4. oherror

This is so true.
  5. Warthog

So which "Normal" game developer does all those things? I haven't seen one yet.
    • Up x 3
  6. Killerav

Well, bye to PS2. SOE did a good job on the game but I beleive it's only for fast computers so bye because mine is slow and old and here are the specs btw:

Model: Presario CQ56 Notebook PC
    Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 900 @ 2.20GHz
    Installed memory(RAM): 2GB
    64-Bit op sys

So there you have it. Try making the game more compatible with that type of computer. ^^^^^^^

:(
    • Up x 1
  7. Nevron

I'd rather this game not have to have the same system requirements of Duck Hunt just so you can play it.
    • Up x 3
  8. Killerav

Well, my computer can play Team Fortress 2, Combat Arms, Halo CE, CS Global Offensive, and Battlefield play4free fine. this game is just too much for my computer, so comparing to Duck Hunt is pretty stupid... -_-
  9. Rhumald

the SOE team on this has stated many times that they want this to be able to run well on Lenovo laptops... way I see it, if you can get anything to run on a lenovo ****-Top [disclaimer: my opinion on Lenovo does not reflect IBM in any way shape or form], you've got a pretty awesome top line performance product.
  10. Killerav

well...looks like they were wrong
  11. Yosarian

the irony is SOE used public test servers to test MMO builds up until this game....
    http://www.soe.com/status/
    eq, eq2, DCUO, vanguard all have public test servers live right now to prevent this BS...but for some reason with PS2 they were like ......
    • Up x 1
  12. Rhumald

What i mean is, they are working on it.

I think the real issue here is that people don't understand this developmental model... Why give people the false pretense of better quality by using smaller play test groups, after development, then release it to the public who will spot allot more bugs, when you can use a small developmental play-test group to test during real developmental time to point out obvious flaws, then directly release it to the public (skipping the false sense of due diligence step), letting people do what they were always doing, live play-testing, and provide quicker, more efficient response times and bug reports?

it looks a little messier on the outside, but it's far more efficient, and transparent, so why not? I mean, the only valid cause for complaint that I've seen is that they implement stealth nerfs and buffs every now and then...
  13. Aliasse

Clearly this kid never played TERA: Online.
    • Up x 1
  14. Yosarian

No. Let me tell you why...I sign up for Beta's to test, I make toons on test servers to test, I make these choices to help game companies fix things so that when it goes live, I can make my main character on a live server so I don't have to deal with bugs...I've heard a lot on these forums about how hard it is to code these games....it's also hard to test them, it's frustrating, at times it can be infuriating, that's why they have test servers and beta's in waves so people don't get burnt out testing broken code. Companies pay real money for people to test games because it's not fun like playing a completed product.
  15. Rhumald

The existing bugs are not game breaking, they're barely noticable, and in most cases hard to replicate (I'm going to stop talking general and talk this game specifically, we're getting off-topic). They do have some balancing issues, which is the biggest thing I've heard over this Entire forum, but it's still early, and I've no issue with them working on it, which they are doing, and keeping us updated on (both in the tactical, and metagame department), they just need our input on what we consider to be balanced, or even a good way to balance it; creative community input adds leagues to the development process, and they value that fact.

This is an FPS primarily, and it follows a different process than a normal MMO, it's fast paced, and the development process behind it reflects that; players are not willing to wait for 2 months for exclusive members to play-test, but that doesn't mean they're neglecting the process that you know and love, they've just changed the way it works, streamlined it to fit this game specifically; they still have a test server, watching any Friday Night Ops will tell you that much. They still do play-testing; they have Paid Experts in that area to aid them, some of which you can see on the Friday night Ops. There is literally nothing different, they're just skipping the step where they let you Play it before you Play it, because it's not in beta anymore, there's no reason for it to be, the game's been released. There may never be a final revision, they need a good system in place to roll with that fact, and that is exactly what they are doing.

They have a Minor delay, due to something they found during what I will assume is either their play-testing or an earlier quality assurance measure, I don't see where Anyone has grounds to complain about their process as it's faster than their other processes, and just as effective.

In fact the only reason any of us are even discussing this is because it gives us something to talk about and gripe over that sounds important.
  16. Yosarian

there may not be game breaking issues for you but you should read the forums, there's a ton of people for whom the game is not working, crashing every 10-20 min, the clipping flickering screen bug requires a client restart which is literally a game breaking. The servers are not optimized or able to handle the the load currently or at least not for long without a restart. And the hackers...I'm not saying they're not getting banned but they come back so quick and trololol business as usual...if there isn't serious changes soon I'm done and I know I'm not the only one. It really is a shame though...
  17. RaZz0R

... just for fun...

NFI about game companies... only one I have followed is SOE... however I am a senior IT guy and have been in IT for about 16 years... and ANY company IT department worth a damn does the first and also follows softwre life cycles and roadmaps.
    They shouldn't be new to SOE and I don't believe they are.
  18. BlackDragonFun

CCP Games, the developer behind EVE Online do it. They publish details regularly, with big features described way in advance. They have a developer blog for those interested in knowing more about what is being done. They also have a test server that any subscribed can join to test the new features before they are pushed out.

As a result of following good practices, my experience with EVE Online has been great and it clearly shows through the quality of the game.

SOE are very sloppy with PS2 development.
  19. Edgar Allan Bro

Wow are you seriously complaining because you are to poor to go build even a crappy but able to run PS2 PC for like $500?

This game doesn't have steep requirements. You just have an awful PC that is meant to only let you draw pictures in paint.
    • Up x 1
  20. k3lt

Announcing huge optimizations update, 2 months later still not delivered and they sit quiet not mentioning it anywhere.