[Suggestion] Something odd I noticed today

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Sir Shockwave, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Sir Shockwave

Something odd I noticed today. As we know, MAX Suits can't cap. Fair enough, a MAX Suit is basically a Baby Terminator Armour suit. Yet I was capping points with a (pretty good) Vanu squad today and we could still cap...while inside Lightnings and MagRiders.

So let me get this straight - it's not okay for the MAX's to cap, but it's perfectly fine for Lightnings/MagRiders/Vanguards/Prowlers to contest and cap? You do realize how odd this logic sounds, right?

Bug or suggestion, either way it's a bizarre oddity I'm surprised was overlooked. It's especially problematic on some of the Indar road areas like the Blackshard Mine, where the larger tanks can indeed cap the Capture Points.

There's two suggestions to balance - either make it so people riding in a Tank can't cap or contest the points like a MAX, or give the MAX's ability to cap or contest points back.
    • Up x 12
  2. Wasdie

No idea why vehicles can cap. They should be able too. Capping a point should be at a risk.
  3. kungflu

makes sense
    +1 thumb
  4. NC_agent00kevin

Ive flown down in a Reaver and capped bases without getting out. Ive eevn had a couple outfit members who are pretty skilled at flying fly down their Libs and cap with 3 guys. Cant say it should be like that, but Im not complaining. Just imagine the damage a couple tank mines could do to a cluster of armor like that....
  5. Sir Shockwave

True, but I point this out because it's questionable logic on the Dev Team's part. A (for example) Vanguard capping the point is a more threatening opponent than a MAX, and yet it can cap and contest while the MAX just sits there and can't do anything?

So it's aircraft that can do it too? I still find this weird.
  6. Talizzar

It makes no sense. I would vote that to cap a point you must be on foot and a MAX can cap. They can repair and damage generators.
    • Up x 1
  7. Saool

I was just making this same comment whilst capping a point in a Magrider yesterday. It's daft (but why would I get out when I knew I did not have to).

Further more I would like to see it done like it was apparently in PS1: An Infiltrator needs to sit there and actually hack it. (Make it like hacking a terminal, only you don't have to hold in E once you start, but if you move more that 1m away or are killed it resets, and it still takes the same length of time as the current method).
    • Up x 1
  8. Brissles

You can cap using ESFs too.
  9. Sir Shockwave

Pardon my derpness, but ESF?
  10. xxJackallxx

I would vote for the vehicles to be removed from their ability to cap...you want to cap get out of your vehicle and do it on foot.
  11. GhostAvatar

You forgot that a sunndy can also cap... with all of its occupants. 6 people in a sunndy will give you that 6/6 you need for the cap point in relative safety. Arm it with a couple of bulldogs, mineguard, a AMS and deploy it, then you have yourself a OP capping machine that pours out troops. Which is kinda ironic as the ability to cap points with a MAX suit was taken away as they where considered OP for doing so (but that was at the point where MAX units where free and had no cooldown.
    • Up x 1
  12. LittleDi

Agree on vehicles shouldn't be able to cap. Rather stupid that they can. Disagree on maxes getting capture power. They're mini-vehicles.
  13. Sir Shockwave

A Sundy is still a vehicle at the end of the day, so this should apply to that too.

Also, we tested using a MagRider and a Lightning. Pardon us if a Vehicle was missed, though this seems to be a greater problem than we realized.

Because I should say it now, I'd be happy with either fix.
  14. Saool

I'll add that I think the capture points should also be in a location where you simple cannot get verticals. (As you could rightly point out that in the 'Needs an Infiltrator to hack' suggestion above, it would make base defense laughably easy by lobbing grenades at the capture point).
  15. GhostAvatar

I know it is a vechile, I was more pointing out the miss and how that it can be more OP at capping than other vehicles. Strange oddity though, sometimes it doesn't count people on flashs or engineers in turrets - go figure.
  16. Sir Shockwave

Agreed. And if it doesn't count for them, why does it count for a Prowler?

It just raises too many questions O__O
  17. Dubious

Before points got moved into buildings, all we did was to fly around in a full gal and just land on the point, no need to get out
    • Up x 1
  18. GhostAvatar

It raises the question to me about the competence of the designers and what on earth was going through there minds when they thought of this. Considering the fact that this has been around since beta (and posted about several times), yet it is still in-game.
  19. Sir Shockwave

I have a theory...

[IMG]
  20. Brissles

Empire-Specific Fighter. Aircraft, in other words.