[Suggestion] Orbital Ship Combat - Instanced 25v25

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Vinyasa, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Vinyasa

Had an idea the other day,

While many MMO games have battleground style instanced pvp I think PS2 has a real opportunity to shine here. It would also get people out of the mindset that this is "only vehicle-side" and provide some variety to the game.

Round 1:
    My thought would be 25 players on each team start on their own orbital capital ship and this would be phase 1 of the Orbital Scenario. Functioning much like a rail shooter teams of 25 would attempt to use capital ship weapons to blast holes in the other ship, destroy guns, disable engines, etc etc. Perhaps give the ship 3-4 different types of guns that specialize at a particular function so a team could decide a strategy such as snipe the bridge or destroy all opponents guns etc. Teams could move freely about the ship though I don't think anybody should be allowed to drive the ship for obvious troll reasons.
    Once a ship has been sufficiently disabled the winning team becomes the "boarding party" and on offense for round 2.

Round 2:
    I see this playing out a bit like Counter-Strike where its infantry only objective based warfare. When you die you have to wait for the round to finish and then the team can respawn. Combat could progress through additional phases and parts of the ship making their way up to the bridge.
    Boarding parties being defeated 3 times would signal the invaders being repelled and result in a single attempt at a "counter-board" by the Round 1 losers. A loss here represents the game ending in a tie.

A win by either party could net the winning side a number of perks such as additional resources for a faction or continent, certs for both winners and losers (10 for a win, 5 for a loss), additional "hot drop" deploy beacons, reduced timers on all spawn beacons on a continent and the list goes on and on.

Also would recommend these scenarios can only be played a few times a day per person or perhaps only 1 or two per faction at a time to keep action down on Auraxis but also provide this as a fun side game to play as well w/o vehicles (After the initial space combat).

Bump if you like this idea and I'm hoping this will get some dev attention and long term implementation/considered.

Thx for reading.

TLDR:
    Instanced 25 v 25 infantry only combat with a clear winner and loser based on rounds and objectives. Winners faction gets bonuses.
  2. asdfPanda

And the winner gets an orbital strike?
    Maybe, but the point of planetside 2 is it's size. Huge, epic battles are what it's about.
  3. chronium

To take your idea and apply it to how Planetside 2 currently works, would be to have 3 warpagate space stations for each faction and what we would be fighting over in space would be control over beam cannon satellites that are positioned over each continent of Auraxis and whoever controls those satellites unlocks the orbital cannon for that continent. They could also have smaller satellites to unlock other benefits of some sort
    • Up x 1
  4. ArcMinuteLight

Personally I'd take expansive and indepth battles over a 300 meter Render distance with nothing in it.
  5. Scam2play

People want instances in open world games? oh the insanity...

WoW has damaged this generation beyond repair.
  6. Nonsensei436

No instances please. Just make this into a continent with different environment rules. 3 ships in orbit, each acting as a large island. You can invade other ships with infantry/vehicles , strafe them with air vehicles, or get in ship hull turrets and fire at enemy ships. Object is to disable/destroy enemy vessels or capture them. We can even have a mechanic where infantry exposed to vacuum insta die.

But no instances.
  7. Sworaven

8. Locke

yeah not a fan of instanced content. Space battles however...
  9. Nocturnal7x

no, base tunnels will fix vehicleside 2.
  10. joe smo

i think what you are talking about has been done in PS1 i think they are called battle islands?
    i am not a PS1 vet, but from what i have heard they were islands geared towards one kind of combat, like one island was made to be open favoring tanks and air. another island had one base on it.
    could i ask a vet if he/she could explain this because i am sure i just got it all wrong.
  11. calchar

no battle islands there were the caves wich sound kinda like what u are talking about. and then there was 10 continents but they were about a third the size of PS2 conts, and they were 1 biome per cont so that made them cater to different playstyles.
  12. Grotpar

I'm all for battleground style features.

But 25v25? Come on, man.
    It needs to be at least 100.

AT LEAST.
  13. AViolentDelight

Why in a game with thousands of players on each server would we limit down a giant space battle to 50 players? And why on a giant warship can we only fit 25 players? Why oh why?
  14. r1stormrider

how can i down vote this?

no instancing of planetside 2. dont even suggest it.

if you want counter-strike style combat...go play counter strike. thanks!
  15. fish998

The tunnels are only in amp stations and tech plants, the small facilities will be just as open to vehicle bombardment as they are now, just with a less campable spawn room. You still won't be able to leave that spawn room without dying once there's a few vehicles about, unless they also change the shields to let you shoot rockets through.
  16. riker

space? in a scifi FPS? its.....its ....BRILLIANT!!!............oh wait star wars already did that, if there were space battles please take a look at star wars elite squadron its a good system
  17. Badgered

No.

No.

There are a multitude of fishbowl FPS games out there already. Go play one of those if that's what you want. Small-scale instanced combat has no place in PlanetSide.
    • Up x 1
  18. 13lackCats

Creative! Gotta like it. despite the fears that an infantry only arena would draw infantry away from the battles.
  19. 13lackCats

Until they camp your tunnel exits.

Then what?
  20. ArcMinuteLight

Funfact: They did this with Planetside 1. Now shut up hipsters.:p