[BUG] Underbarrel Grenade Launcher

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Springheel Jack, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Springheel Jack

So most of the time the Underbarrel Grenade Launcher will just arbitrarily stop resupplying from Ammo drops for no readily apparent reason.

There's also the other bug where sometimes it will only restock 1 grenade, but take away a clip from your primary weapon. For example it will restock 1, and you'll end up with 30/120 instead of 30/150 bullets.

Obviously they need to be made two separate weapons in the coding with their own individual ammo.

Please provide an ETA on when this will be fixed.

Also them actually doing damage when hitting a target needs some love.
    • Up x 2
  2. Springheel Jack

For greater justice!
  3. Blippy

Yeah grenade launchers have a pile of bugs. The most irritating one is when grenades do zero damage when fired up close or while in the air as a Light Assault.
  4. Hobnail

Feature. If you want to roll this way buy the under-barrel shotgun.
  5. Slifar

It's due to their "anti-spam" code, and actually seems better since the last hotfix.

Basically, the game is only supposed to let you resupply so many grenades within a certain radius of your last resupply spot (Or spawn, sometimes. That might be part of the bug) within a certain timeframe. The problem is, this doesn't always reset on death. Or, at all, sometimes. This is there because some geniuses thought spamming infini-smokes was a brilliant idea and couldn't possibly have any consequences whatsoever, and proceeded to lag out entire platoons of mid-range computers lol

But yeah, some of it.... is actually intended :p (Personally I think it should only apply to smokes, normal grenades aren't THAT game-changing and dont bog people down....)

EDIT: By better I mean that it generally actually lets me get 1 or 2 resupplies before stopping, and will eventually time out and let me resupply again, in the rare instances I'm still in the same area for awhile without dying. Also, as a tip: Using a resupply terminal seems to reset it and lets you use ammo boxes again for a bit, sometimes for a loooooong time.
  6. Eyeklops

Got a dev link on that info? Haven't heard about any "anti-spam" code yet.
  7. Slifar

Ugh, sadly, it isn't something they've EXPLICITLY said (Honestly, I don't expect sony to go, "We broke this part of the game trying to put in a system to limit you!"), but has been hinted at a few times by the devs in their posts, particularly those pertaining to this bug, should you go digging (I believe Twitter was the first spot that an anti-spam measure was said to be the cause) Though, for all I know this could have only pertained to smokes in particular (the cause of the problem). Or maybe that feature caused a bug, maybe even a different bug, and then was removed because of it, and then we got this bug. Or maybe I'm wrong. I should start documenting dev comments that give such info lol. NOTE: By Explicitly I mean someone coming out and saying that the anti-spam measure was specifically the cause and was specifically designed to limit nades or something.

In any case, I also forgot to show you this: http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...enade-launchers-margaret-krohn-soe-dev.75125/

According to that, the Devs have ALSO said that this bug has been identified and fixed, but we just have not gotten said fix yet for unknown reasons. In the meantime, you should be fine as long as the Grenade Launcher is NOT what you have equipped before dropping the ammo box.
  8. Armchair

If it was anti-spam, then underbarrel GL's wouldn't bug up the ammo supply of the carbine/rifle itself.

The GL is just bugged, plain and simple.

How to fire the GL without it "jamming":
    After firing, immediately interrupt the reload animation by swapping weapons/knifing.

In the event that your GL is refusing to resupply:
    Swap to your pistol and fire off a round or two.
    Begin reloading the pistol, but interrupt the reload by swapping to your rifle/carbine.
    Fire off a short burst with your rifle/carbine, then reload your rifle/carbine. Allow the animation to complete.
    Your GL should now resupply.
    Repeat the process if the second nade refuses to resupply.

The last problem is that the GL occupies slot 2. This leads to the accidental selection of the GL when you want your pistol, and the accidental selection of your pistol when you want you're repair tool:
    This isn't a bug that you can work around. This is just poor design. Good luck and try not to kill friendly maxes or misplace your sidearm.

I'd be happy with drastically increased resupply times for underbarrel GL's....they just need to fix all the bugs first. They need to do something about the whole slot 2 thing as well. We have a "toggle fire modes" button. I'd like an "equip underbarrel weapon" button. Leave 1-5 to my rifle/sidearm/repairtool/utility/ACE.
    • Up x 1
  9. Jaquio

I just certed into the Gauss S and started playing around with the nade launcher, and this is my biggest complaint. I'm pulling the wrong weapons out constantly now. I almost have to carry around the nade launcher constantly, otherwise I'll never know what button to press for my pistol. Not to mention trying to quickly pull out my repair tool as an engi now, and I end up shooting the dang turret with my pistol...

Why couldn't the underbarrel nade launcher just be a fire mode you select with the B key?
  10. jak

I took out the underbarrel from my loadouts. Too buggy to use that often.
  11. Grotpar

I wish I could do that, but it's so paramount to my LA playstyle(Sundy-busting), I just can't get myself to use other weapons.

I did remove it from my engineer loadout due to all the bugs, though.
  12. jak

I've gone almost full shotty on the LA. I had to sacrifice the sundy busting, though. Maybe one day I'll return to that style, but for now I'll just float around and boom boom people lol.
  13. Slifar

If that fix for field resupply jamming works I will love you. I wont have to worry about being forced to not use my super-helpful grenades when I'm far from a spawnpoint anymore!
  14. Zagz

I'm ok with the no damage when up close... that's a good anti-nub tube spam thing but yeah, reloading... oh my god...
  15. Armchair

I didn't discover it. I'm not sure who did....I'm not sure HOW they did. The steps are extremely random and seeming unrelated. Sometimes you need to do it 2-3 times, but the success rate is pretty good.
  16. Marked4Death

You guys know the bug is acknowledged and Maggie has said it's been fixed on an internal build for a while now right? (off course we still haven't seen that update for some reason)
  17. Paincov3

No damage up close, fine, but don't show an explosion. There is a gray area where I'm not sure if the grenade has done damage. Just make the grenade make a *plink* noise with no explosion or you could just make the blowback do alot of damage to the shooter. It seems silly to me that when I looking down at a Sundy I have to run further away and guess what magical range I have to be at to do damage.

It seems to be a theme for this game. If they feel something is abused, they actually break a game mechanic or remove customization to address it (flying, reloading) instead of fixing the problem.

Don't render smoke from the smoke grenade if more than 1 is deployed in an area. Problem fixed.
    If you don't want UBGL spam, reduce the damage. Problem fixed.
  18. Trebb

I'm actually fine with no damage up close to prevent noob tubing, but it seems to break hit detection for like 5+ seconds after that for me.

I'll make the mistake of leaving grenades selected(2), 'hit' someone with it from say 5 meters away, switch to pistol then main gun (I can never switch directly from grenade launcher to my main gun, ANOTHER bug), and unload a clip on the guy with absolutely no hits registering, then I die and he's at full health.

Overall, there's like 5 different bugs going on with the underbarrel grenade launcher. As of right now it's very situational, and almost OP in those situations ;)
  19. Slifar

If I had to take a guess, I would say that, if it isn't anti-spam, then the game is probably stuffing your nade ammo into the carbine (As people report having extra carbine ammo when it triggers.... 2 shots, to be exact!)

So that probably resets the ammo count or something.
  20. Hobnail

I think this is related to the weapon swap delay penalty that is imposed by equipping an under barrel attachment (see the tooltip ingame). Not sure if its working as advertised though :)