I don't see how VS guns are OP: Stats inside

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TheUprising, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Hurk

How about we talk about how traction is Still broken and thus limiting NC/TR faction maneuverability.
  2. TheUprising

That's why I didn't mention the NC, their weapons seem to be designed as if there was no such thing as flinch.
  3. TheUprising

Well it so happens in this game called planetside 2, you don't fight in a series of 1v1 fights.
  4. Slifar

Yeah, I saw your AR comparison... wait... Have we really only had 3 significant weapon categories? Dear lord, even after looking at all the stats this never occurred to me... I guess that says something about the sheer amount of filler/pad weapons. Or that I've been oblivious to the number of available comparisons lol

And If that RoF thing is a problem in practice, then I think that SOE has biased their systems or something. If the shots are placed in a random spot in the CoF, then there is literally no way for the average performance of the faster gun being lower. Sure, sometimes the RNG Gods will smite the weapon and cause all the shots to miss, but sometimes they'll cause them to all hit too, so it should balance out. Someone should test this, or at least take a high-speed video of prolonged gunfire over multiple clips and slow it down so we can get the general idea. If SOE HAS biased the system like that.... We might have bigger issues. Though, if I had to guess, I think that the CoF may be growing out of proportion to what it should be. Unfortunately, we have the whole issue of how the VS are SUPPOSED to be more accurate than the TR and NC as their faction advantage, and the NC is supposed to be the least accurate (when auto-firing) as a part of their faction DISadvantage.... so it's kind of hard to get a feel of what's "right"

I actually do hope that the TR has more TR-like weapons in the works, I'm all for having more flavor in a game, and if the balance really is out of whack due to their absence, then that's all the more reason for them! (I don't like playing imbalanced games, even on the advantaged side)

As a side note, I should applaud you, since you're the first person who's actually sat down and given actual reasons other than "I'm right and your a nub if you disagree," or just repeated their argument when given a counter argument, which is nice lol. In practice I still personally do not feel like there's TOO big a disparity, (Though this may simply be due to my playstyle. I actively fight and participate in pushes, but my first thought is almost never "what can I shoot?" unless it involves my nade launcher lol) but, I can agree that this weapon list.... doesn't look quite right. Personal experiences are not something to balance games off of (Though they are quite good for changing how things feel off of) but when you can look at the weapon list and see 2/3 factions don't really have the bonuses SOE promised them.... well, yeah.

After looking at that it doesn't even feel like a balance issue anymore. It feels like the NC and TR simply have not been properly finished as factions in terms of their weaponry. None of the factions can be OP or UP, because two of them ARENT EVEN DONE. This is saddening, as I really like this game :(

Edit: At least the NC has some sort of damage superiority, I suppose.... They have the only 200 damage carbine and all. That seems to be about it, though. One carbine, unless I'm missing something (Which would most likely be RoF, if anything, me thinks)
  5. Antivide

Meanwhile in NC land.
  6. ComradeHavoc

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  7. Syphers

You dont own the battlefield either due to 10 extra bullets, you take cover, you reload, you dont stand in the open while 4 people shoot at you, you take them one by one but hey I thought that I didnt need to explain that.
  8. Unit_502

Question, I am new to PS2, been playing under week (on Jaegir) and I am trying to learn being a vanu infiltrator, though I am thinking of switching to working on piloting aircraft or tanks; so I don't know much about the other sides or enough to have much of an opinion on this topic. However, since VS weaponry loses energy over range and they are designed to be used at longer ranges with lack of bullet drop, low recoil and other factors; wouldn't that (the fact that their damage is less in the ranges they are best suited to) be a negative synergy and a weakness (or poor game design) though perhaps not as strong as the others? (I had to go somewhere before I could ask this, thus why it is late.)

That being said, to address the more current points, since there is an issue of balance; would it help if the devs added more weapons and/or buffed certain aspects of current ones to complement their faction attributes? Most weapons are supposed to be side grades anyway, allowing players to use weapons with capabilities with more in line with their own personal play styles, including using a weapon slightly favoring traits of a hostile faction.

For example, vanu get a lmg with expanded magazine capacity, which loses some of the vanu recoil bonus, (maybe a better pistol too?), the terrans get an expanded ammo capacity/rate of fire for all lmgs, they also get a lmg which has a higher damage rate, but has more recoil. The nc could get a lmg with a better rate of fire and maybe more recoil control, but less damage, also their damage to recoil ratio for most weapons could be tweaked. Think of it as them using (in modern terms) a 5.56 nato lmg/saw versus most of their 7.62 round lmgs. This way the tr and nc would have their bonuses adjusted to make them less overpowered underpowered and give each faction more weapons and an opportunity to use teamwork to compensate for their weaknesses (see example in next paragraph).

Note that all of these could apply to any automatic weapon, and possibly sniper rifles and other marksman weapons as well, not just lmgs; finally the alternate weapons shouldn't undue the faction bonuses and weaknesses, just maybe reduce them and offer more options. For example, the nc light recoil lmg shouldn't be as good as a tr lmg, just be enough that the nc lmg users have a choice of the standard lmg or a lighter recoil; so a nc squad could have some of their heavy assault use their preferred standard, and some of their HA could use the light lmg to suppress enemy inf so the traditional HA could close to a better range and finish them off.

Thanks for reading.
  9. MurderBunneh

I don't think it applies to sniper rifles I think all the bolt action rifles have the same stats but I could be wrong. As far as damage drop off you do get more lets say 100 min vs 125 min for TR and NC. But your drop off starts at 110m and our drop off starts at 65m. So they have taken a drawback and made it an advantage in all but extreme ranges. Assuming you are not sniping.
  10. Terrex

VS SO EZ

11. Kurohagane

People should stop posting videos of them doing good as a certain faction or stating things like "i played all three and x is clearly the easiest, i had a 9000:1 kd ratio!" because that is eternily subjective and varies depending on the person.
  12. Clutchstep

The problem at the moment is that the damage drop disadvantage of VS weapons only kicks in at relatively long ranges. Its 85 m and up depending on the weapon; up until then it is effectively the same degradation as TR weapons (effectively meaning same number of bullets to kill). Once you get to that "long range" marker then the VS bullets require an additional bullet to kill someone. The current state of PS2 doesn't feature a lot of sustained long range infantry battles, and once you're inside a base you're generally fighting at ranges where the additional damage drop for VS doesn't kick in. So yes, theoretically it is a disadvantage, but practically it is not felt a lot as the long range infantry battles generally turn into medium and short range battles.
    • Up x 1
  13. JDCollie=VX9=

If I could, I'd reach through your screen and slap you. Have you actually played as NC?

Maybe I could borrow your NC weapons, 'cause mine apparently are broken.

It isn't that NC don't have to aim, it's that aiming doesn't make a damn bit of difference for us. At least at point blank we can count on our bullets hitting something.
  14. Agile

accuracy is more important than damage per bullet
    no bullet drop is more important than damage per bullet

a bullet that misses is worthless
    a bullet that makes a headshot... you do the math
  15. Antivide

Basically this. Firing faster means you roll the dice on hitting your target more often, more chances to hit your target.
  16. Terrex

SO EZ SO EZ

People should take their head out of their *** and disregard their worthless opinion to look at facts.
  17. HerpTheDerp

No, 10 extra bullets isn't "huge". The smaller relative damage potential of VS weapons(low tier damage + normal mag sizes) matters to one class only - the LA who usually operate alone for extended periods of time(and even then they can get Pulsar C). Infs have plenty of ammo, HAs have plenty of ammo, Engis can make their own ammo, and Medics hang around other players which include Engis.

Higher mag size is balanced by longer reload time. Sorry but that's just how it works. More bullets = longer reload is an almost universal rule across all weapons. How is extra 10 bullets relevant in a firefight? If you can't kill an enemy with thirty ******* bullets then you are bad and deserve to die.

Yeah, no. CQC = up to 5m distance. Past that distance, you ADS or you die. When you ADS, you move because moving target is much harder to hit. ADS CoF is pretty much the single most important statistic for any infantry weapon in the game(since DPS is fairly even) and so happens that VS has the best moving ADS of all factions.

(And of course they also have best hipfire of all factions just in case you actually hipfire in under 5 meter range)

Some statistics are more important than others.

Like the NC "trait" of having excellent first shot accuracy when ADSing and not moving... which you'll almost never utilize because standing still is suicide.
  18. Talizzar

The only stat that matters is hits. The HA chain gun is a total joke. It puts out a zillion rounds and sounds cool and misses nearly everything. ROF is nothing.

No recoil and no bullet drop is deadly. I have to move my mouse all over the place to stay on you and the VS calmly fire away with nearly every shot hitting even while you move.

NC hit hard and are very accurate too.

TR for the most part is Pray and Spray...Pray first because even with the drop you are probably dead.

Vanu weapons are the easiest to land shots period. I also don't believe there is much damage drop off over distance as claimed.

Reload time really do not come in to play as if you have to reload in a one on one you are dead.
  19. TheUprising

The VS guns are actually not more "accurate" than their TR counterparts unless you are talking about how they perform while aiming down sights while moving. If yall are talking about recoil... you do know you can control recoil right? If you can't roll an NC to get some recoil control skills, b/c its either that or feed when you're playing NC.

Also with most guns you probably never be at a range where bullet drop off will be a factor, and if you were, it again can be compensated for with experience.

Um, you call NC guns "accurate" and TR guns pray and spray............ you know TR and VS have very similar CoF in all circumstances? TR has slightly more recoil, but that is something that can 100% be controlled, no reason to pray to anyone, just get better. If recoil makes a gun inaccurate, then the NC would be super inaccurate to you.
  20. TheUprising

... I'll start from the bottom and move my way up, if you've ever fought at long ranges, especially if you get the jump on someone, not moving and firing is a viable way of shooting, especially when crouched. That's just the NC's style, not saying its a good perk, I never mentioned NC in the OP.

The bonus CoF you get while moving and ADS'ing with the Solstice is literally not going to be felt unless you are out in medium-long ranges, and at that point, you shouldn't be moving to get the best accuracy... and carbines are not even made to fight at those ranges, so its a perk that helps the Solstice be mobile at a range it is unwise for it to be used.

I don't see how you don't think a 40 bullet mag over a 30 bullet mag isn't a big deal, note it also increases your overall ammo capacity for free as well. You will last longer without running out of ammo both in the long term and short term, and having more ammo is an important feature, otherwise no one would buy the large magazined LMG's they would just pick up the 50 round ones if all that mattered was 1v1's.