I'm the worst sniper ever.

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Sleepy247, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Sleepy247

Seriously. I look at other people's videos and stats and am like "wtf am I doing wrong?"

I will be lucky if I have one headshot after several hours of play. The most I've ever had in a single hours long session was 5. FIVE. I'm using a Parrallax. I have a 12x scope. And I'm struggling to even find people to snipe. Most times I end up inside a base which is the LAST place I want to be.

Even when I do find targets, I line up a head shot....and nothing. Their health bar goes down a little. The only reason I even chose Vanu was so I wouldn't have to deal with bullet drop.

Am I just too far away? How the hell are these guys in the vids pulling off those long range hits?
  2. Gadamlu

use a bolt action rifle. you will have to compinsate for bullet drop then however. all semi autos are 2hk for headshots
  3. Recce

I'm not an expert, but I do OK. Find a battle and try to flank the enemy. Move cloaked. when you find a spot where you can see the enemy from the side, zoom in and observe troop movements. You should be seeing people moving in and out of cover from the side if you have a good position. If you someone stand still hold shift and headshot as quickly as possible. Cloak in between and keep moving after a couple successful kills so you don't get discovered. Drop podding in behind enemy lines also work.

I'm no expert but this is what helps for me.
  4. Dr. Euthanasia

Just so you know, the Parralax and V10 (and maybe even that 100 cert one) actually do have bullet drop. It's not even a factor unless you're at ranges where you can count the number of pixels that your enemies take up on the screen, but it's there. It's worth mentioning, however, that your gun actually shoots bullets slightly above where your crosshair is aiming, so in extremely close quarters or when at significantly higher or lower elevations, shoot for the neck rather than the eyes and you ought to hit people just fine.

Also, if you're using a suppressor, do yourself a favor and just take that off. The only thing suppressors are good for is getting one-shot kills from well within the range of everyone else's weapons, without risking detection in the process.
  5. MCSquard

1 you need a Bolt action Sniper, ie one that must reload after each shot, get the biggest one your faction has
    2 you are not Standard infantry dont act like it, find high ground or better positions that make use of your longer than average range
    3 By the biggest longist range Scope you can no point being able to shoot 300M if your scope is only acurate to 50M
    4 Learn the 3 states of your cloak , if your moving around your in state 1 you give off a distortion even to other snipers at range, if you stop moving your in state 2 harder to see at range but those up close can still pick you out , if your not moving and crouching your in state 3 pretty much never gona be seen.
    5 Do not expect to pick up a shiny new gun and Pwn every thing you see , head shots especaly on moving targets are just as much skill as they are weapon selection and setup
    6 find a large fight thats has defined battle lines, best example is the crown. there are multipal ledges that infantry tend to hang out on and rain fire on who ever is attacking, most of the time they stand still making for a Snipers buffet.
    7 do not use a suppresor (silencer) as this item while making you less noisey drops your total damage makeing one shot head shots less likely
    8 for longer engadgements preshoot to determin your bullet drop ( does not count for vanu) simple find a catwalk or window in your target area and fire a shot while holding your zoom, you will see just how much drop it has and then apply that to your aim and wala bullet drop not much of an issue.
    9 try and stay away from the group ( if in heated battle) as stray tank shot and grenades cause the screen to shack and your aim to be effected.
    10 Just keep at it, it will take you a while to get used to your weapon and how it functions, just because you do poorly in one battle does not mean it sucks its just bad luck on your side tought it out and you will improve
    • Up x 1
  6. Troubleshooter11

Sleepy, i suffer the same problem as you, though i have gotten a LITTLE better at it the past weeks.
    If you're a terrible shot, like me, you need patience and be a really lame person and go for people that are distracted and are standing still.

A couple of places where you could find easier targets for long range sniping:
    - Smaller outposts near the front line where a few players tend to spawn. Pick them off while they buy vehicles outside.
    - The front line of an infantry heavy battle such as Bio Labs or the small buildings containing generators. These tend to have lots of distracted enemy infantry and your sniping actually helps your faction advance or defend.
    - Flank the enemy and find a sniper spot overlooking their sunderer spawn point. This is a high-risk option as after 2-3 shots people will know you're there, and some will peel off to hunt you down or countersnipe you.

One thing i have learned which helped me stay alive is to remember that you do not want to be where the enemy wants to be. If you want to defend an outpost from enemy attacks, do not sit inside the outpost, but on a hill overlooking it, preferably also flanking it so advancing enemies will not overrun your position. Be as big a jerk to the enemy as you can. Is an enemy being revived by a medic? Shoot the damn medic. Is some engineer fixing his sunderer to prevent your airforce from finishing it off? Shoot the engineer. Be patient, try not to fire as often as possible but pick your targets carefully. You're not a uberiffic quick-scoping Legolas like some of those really good players. So you pick unfair fights, you fight dirty. If some heavy guy is on to you and starts making his way over to discuss things over with you, you get the heck out of there, you don't fight him on his terms. Drop a mine if you can just before you relocate, he might stomp on it and give you a free kill.

I see a LOT of 'snipertrators' barely using their cloak while doing long range sniping. This is a bad idea as enemy counter-fire is your worst enemy. The best position you can have is when you are out of line-of-sight while crouched, but when you stand up you are just able to see your target area. This is when you have your cloak enabled. You pick a target, uncloak, hold breath, fire, cloak, crouch, uncloak to recharge. Repeat a fire times and relocate.

Spotting targets will cause your character to yell "HEY GUYS I SEE SOMETHING OVER THERE!!!"...which your enemies can hear and since every faction has different voices, they know you're around.

Any time someone looks in my direction and i am not cloaked, or moving cloaked while within grenade range, i'm dead. They just fire at the shimmer they saw and it's all over. I wont even have time to fire off enough bullets on my pistol to kill them, even if i were able to hit with all of them. :p
  7. Pachins

Scopes
    Please correct me if I am wrong community but I think that your field of vision is more narrow the further the scope. For this reason I stick to the 10X scope. I like to be able to see as much as possible to keep from being on the wrong end of a sniper bullet. If your shooting longer then a mil and half you are doing it wrong. (VS side that is) There is a sweet spot where you are just far enough to be out of the battle but not to far to where you only render in a few infantry or have to take several shots to gauge distance. It becomes very simple to range your shots if you always stick to a specific distance.

Pistols
    Learn to run with your pistol. Running with your rifle impedes your field of vision and in the cases where your cloak works you may see someone you can pistol before taking a face shot.
  8. Bloodmyth

Experience counts for a lot, and until you're competent which will happen don't do the noobie things like constantly spam Q as the enemies will hear you and come for you, don't fire at moving targets as this will give your position away and it's difficult enough for the more skilled let alone someone learning and once you think your location is known, move, don't stay there thinking they will ignore you, we die fairly easily once spotted.
  9. Dr. Euthanasia

He's got the Parralax, so moving targets should be fine under the condition that he doesn't aim for headshots and he doesn't target people with quick access to cover. Its damage isn't enough to one-shot somebody if it hits them in the chest, but surviving the second is almost impossible and the projectile velocity is so fast that evasive maneuvers will only get your targets so far.

It works out pretty well for me, and I definitely don't like to consider myself an amazing sniper.
  10. Sleepy247

ok that thing about spotting is huge. although i have to admit i spot-***** for the hopes of at least getting SOME xps while I'm looking for sniper targets.
    ...so if I'm not spotting, will enemies still show up as red if am zoomed in on them at least?
  11. MCSquard

The Box. Says NO
  12. HowToAim

Something you can try is to watch as the bullet drops (hold the left mouse button when you shoot) and try figure out which dot you should be using to aim with at varying distances. Also, shift is to hold your breath/steady your aim :x
  13. Dredly

I'm still very new to the game (disclaimer) but don't keep advancing. Stay put or stay in the the same general area and find the opening of a building they are coming out of, shoot them when they come out. you should at least get a bunch of assists
  14. GraphicJ

1. Dont run cloaked infront of the enemy, you will be seen. So dont complain about it when you get killed.
    2. Remember that the cloak does not grant you full invisibility. So dont complain about it when you get killed.

Wait for the target to be still:
    HA when they are firing rockets
    Medic's while rezzing ( if it's a clever medic that moves while rezzing, ignore them and re-target the dead person, they will rez with little health and a simple body shot will put them down again . Sad but true.
    Engi's while repairing / on turrets etc

Get to know your scopes and just practice.
    [IMG]