Don't make this game an esport!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by noobfeeder, Jan 27, 2013.

1. noobfeeder

We already have a game just exactly like PS2 that's already an esport:
    link
  2. Diamond Sword

I don't even see how they could possibly make PS2 into an e-sport, considering it's format. Not without splitting the player-base into "regular" and "competitive" players. They would have to physically separate them in-game for it to be viable. You certainly can't have an e-sport league game when there's a bunch of randoms running around the battlefield, too.
  3. noobfeeder

Actually if the esport matches are infantry-only, I would definitely welcome them, like our own special ghetto for those who don't want to be in a tank or liberator all the time.
  4. bluEyedillusions

According to the roadmap, eSport things are basically just:

• A top % of players will be invited to play at tournaments a few times a year
    • These tournaments will be on small continents on private, event-only servers that run only during these few tournaments each year.
    In other words, the eSport aspect of it would only be happening a few times a year and for the rest of the year, everyone will be together on the servers we already play on.
    It seems very unintrusive.
    • Up x 1
  5. Poobah

Don't worry, they're not going to.

The stuff Higby is spouting on Twitter is cringe-worthy to any E-sport enthusiast like myself.

"A few times a year", " large Outfit vs. outfit combat", "vehicles".

5v5, 6v6, or 12v12 with no vehicles is the only way this game has a chance at being a successful E-sport. Like SND in CoD, or Counterstrike.
  6. Protential

There are a million ways they could make this work, without hurting the game.

Off the top of my head I would be running, competitive events across each server each weekend.

I would reward the top scoring players on whatever continient was listed for the weekend, reward them, then also reward the winning faction.

On a smaller scale note, Thats not what this game is about. What they would need to do is instead of 5v5 you think of it as 5 platoons vs 5 platoons, lock down 1 continent and let the battle happen. Make a seperate server for these competitive players so we do not always get locked out of good areas...Winner Wins.

Would be more awesome, if they just ran "matches" on the current servers...Team X vs Team A. And all the mindless random zerging going on, is realistic to war...Now see who can turn the tides of it, and flip the most hex's in their favor.
  7. PharmD

No, it's not a few times a year. A recent Higby post on PSU said perhaps for a few hours every weekend. Sounds like they're still working out the times and frequency but I don't think it would just be a few times a year. That's just way too few to have any impact at all on Esports.
  8. Pivke

that would be very lame... a top % of players meaning mostly liberator gunners and some lolpoders with a very few exceptions. people who think that "teamwork" means screaming on friendly troops not to kill that enemy sundy so they can farm infantry. and none of them even know how to hold a gun if they go somewhere on foot lol.

should lead to some exciting matches... NOT
  9. Exidius

Please concentrate on the game before you even consider...

Wait ignore what i said PLEASE GO FOR E SPORTS
    I care nothing for E sport mind you, which is in a game focusing on large battles pointless anyway, (you know there are other more specialized games for esport out there) but SOE would have to BALANCE all the things in game to make it esport solid ...
  10. NoXousX

I'd love to see some small scale instances so we can actually be tactical where skill is more important than numbers.
    • Up x 1
  11. StrikerSix

I dont know what an esport is, but if its anything official make sure not to invite the hackers that live in absolutely no fear of being caught.
  12. Protential

Well hopefully once those players get embarassed, they would not be considered for the next.

It would be awesome, if one outfit or whatever would battle another each weekend. Maybe some sub battles here and there, then one 'controls' the event server, runners up get to attack it :p
  13. ExarRazor

the biggest argument against esport-ization should eb this:

world of warcraft was great, for a long time, until blizz went and tried to cater to the esports crowd with implementation of the arena system.

the game rapidly went downhill as blizz then began balancing skills, spells, and abilities around arena, without any regards to the effect those adjustments would have on the REAL game, PvE. entire classes because useless simply because the esport crowd whined and *****ed and moaned because they couldnt handle skills and such being different.
  14. Brok9000

I don't think it matters whether or not they do this. Might be some decent advertisement and maybe fun for some... but won't affect the actual game. Well, maybe they'll have to balance vanu weapons for the tournies, can't have 3 vanu teams all fighting each other ;)