Why is the magrider not any more fragile yet...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Slyguy65, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Luewen

I will settle for nerfing the maggot riders ability to traverse pretty much every hill you have in game.
  2. Xasapis

Wouldn't you rather have your traction back?
    • Up x 3
  3. Xil

Vanguards don't really have problems with magriders, however, my full AV prowler hates them (tanker for all three empires depending on mood). Part of the reason I feel is the limited range of the Vulcan vs the enforcer and saron because of the crazy cone of fire, so trying to engage at standoff distances just doesn't work.

Given the prowler is a close range 'brawler', instead of nerfing the mag or vanguard, how about giving the prowler a way to.... 'prowl'. Instead of that accursed Anchor mode (where you can't even rotate the tank to move and avoid shots), the Prowler got a 'prowl' mode similar to the phantasm from PS1.... a short duration cloak to make it more difficult to see while on approach for a Vulcan attack.

Either way, Buffs > Nerfs.
  4. Qaz

if we're talking bare bones .... i'm sorry, but what? a non-certed mag is slow as hell, has the worst damage of all tanks, cant really strafe to evade shots (too slow) at anything but extreme range. The main guns of all tanks have the same projectile velocity and drop, so there's no advantage there. A magrider is always going to lose against a vanguard or prowler unless he can somehow make them miss consistently. Only way that's going to work is by forcing them to drive at high speed ... and this needs to get fixed! Turret stability should be a given for all tanks.

Either way, if you care about tanks ... get a racer chassis, stealth, and ir smoke with certs, and buy the vulcan. It's an entirely different tank then, and for that matter ... uncerted tanks also shouldnt be the baseline for balance discussions.
  5. MDK2k

SITTING DUCK MODE is also interesting that the first couple of levels make your tank worse. It might be a decent ability with the maximum level, but that cost a ton of certs. There are abilities where the bonus from the first level is quite large and the additional levels only add a small amount more. I cannot understand why they didn't design anchored mode with that same filosofy. It really boggles my mind.

The reload speed bonus should be atleast 40% for the first certlevel for this ability to actually be benefitial to use. However I would prefer they changed the entire ability. For example it could be an ability where the the negative side would only slow down the prowler to 50% speed and the reloads would receive a bonus. This ability would have a cooldown time and extra certlevels would increase the reload speed slightly while decreasing the cooldown time aswell.
  6. iNuc

• Increase top armor but lower the rest. They can run away with their speed boost.
    • Pop out, shoot, pop in. VS is a hit and run faction. It will be fun that it has weaknesses - being caught in an open area is a death sentence.
    • Pop out, shoot, pop in. Same as above. I heard Magridger's secondary (that big cannon thing, don't remember the name) does quite a bit of damage, I think it's good against air. If not - get the Walker, it got a buff recently.
    • Up x 2
  7. Oheck

Woops, replied to myself. Pthh
  8. Azren

• Boost lasts for 1 second, racer prowler can catch up with ease
    • All tanks can "pop out-pop in", however the magrider has to expose fully to do it, while the others can only show turret
    • Magrider's AV secondary does exact same damage as the Halberd (NS) and Enforcer (NC) and is far inferior to Vulcan (TR)
  9. Xasapis

Erm, what kind of suggestion are those? Magburn is good if you lone wolfing but bad at anything else. Since most non whiners come prepared against magriders, we have to face lock on rockets as the primary threat, not ESF. Especially not after the nerfs after nerfs vs air. Most people therefore run with smoke.

Magriders also do well in the open, not in closed spaces for a number of reasons.

Hehe ... sigh. Saron HRB is awful against air unless we're talking stationary liberators. The damage is also on par with the main gun. What it does and does it well is being very accurate if you spend certs to improve the chassis. It basically serves as the tank's primary turret, since the main turret has a tons of disadvantages. As long as the magrider's turret remains fixed (which is ever), saron will remain the best choice.
  10. Compass

This thread will eventually devolve into telling me that I should dodge more while using Anchor Mode in my Prowler.
    • Up x 1
  11. Xasapis

You mean you can't? Bah, you're useless
    • Up x 1
  12. ScarabParamit

They are "Hard enough to kill" ...for weak prowler ...but Magrider has no difficulties. Vanguard has 5% more armor on front and same HP as other tanks. Stats for tanks are almost the same.
    P.s. Magrider Levitate...they cant carry same amounth of armor as other tanks...its immposible.
  13. Xasapis

What do you mean impossible. All tanks are made from special kind of paper made of nanite, they're all super light. That's why prowlers are sliding as if they are threading butter and that's why if you nudge a magrider it capsizes and explodes.
  14. Smudge202

^ this.

Coming from a proud TR Prowler driver.

No idea what the OP is whining about.
    • Up x 1
  15. Steelblade

I totally disagree with you, seeing how a good magrider driver can easily spin the tank around to avoid being strafed from a mossie or reaver from behind. And even the bad drivers can just get the afterburner and run from everything.
  16. iNuc

I ment "not open areas" as areas with numerous hills and rocks behind which you can hide, pop out, shoot and go back in.
  17. iNuc

I ment "not open areas" as areas with numerous hills and rocks behind which you can hide, pop out, shoot and go back in.
  18. Mikouen

Honestly this ceases to be a problem if lock-on missiles, rocket pods, bombs and tank shells are all considered to do different damage types - and if not, split so that they do.

You can just reduce the Magrider's resistance to tank shells, but let it keep its current resistance to infantry AV weapons munitions (which IMO is fine) and rocket pods (which all three MBTs could use more resistance to). Since the balance problem is really only when compared to the other MBTs, this should smooth out tank warfare quite a bit.

Historically speaking, Vanguards and Prowlers could absorb hits, but couldn't avoid them; Magriders could avoid hits, but couldn't absorb them. We need to revisit that dynamic because letting a Magrider avoid damage and soak it up just gives it too much of an edge. It's one or the other.

A 33% reduction in the Mag's damage resistance against tank weapons, as a trade-off for it being able to quite easily dodge incoming shots in direct confrontations, should bring us closer to the original PlanetSide's inter-tank dynamics.

That said, if the changes weaken the Magrider to the point where it's outright inferior to the other tanks, I'd then suggest improving its ability to dodge.

Oh, and as for Vulcans.... if a Prowler can actually get that close to a Magrider, via ambush or circumnavigation or simply the Mag pilot not paying attention.... well, it deserves the insta-gib.

As for the air stuff, I've made my thoughts on it clear in this post.

Regarding the Prowler's double cannons, honestly, they're more of a bonus to reload speed than they are to ROF. Trying to shoot faster than a single-barreled tank is just going to put your second shell skywards and no amount of aim compensation will help since it's a random dispersion factor.

I'd sooner have single-barreled cannons that did damage in line with the other MBTs, to tell you the truth.

While you're not entirely wrong, I hold a different opinion.

Newbie comes in, finds a horribly imbalanced early game, gets frustrated - they're not going to bother sticking around simply because someone says "Oh, don't worry if 95% of the game is completely skewed, once you unlock all the top end stuff it balances out!".

AP and HE are specialized weapons, so they should be fair more effective against their targets of choice. Yes, this much I agree with. However, why must this preclude the default gear being balanced, in a manner representative of how the end game is balanced? After all, didn't SOE themselves say they wanted a game where a player was never forced to buy guns just to be able to play in a balanced environment?

If a game doesn't have consistent balance and quality from the start, then the developers aren't doing their jobs. It's a death sentence for any persistent online game in which new blood is a constant necessity.

Yeah I'd rather Prowlers and Vanguards get their traction back - seriously, barely being able to climb a road that slopes upwards is just sad.

That said, I think there also needs to be a cap on the angles Magriders can climb up. Allowing the Magrider to slow its descent down a steep slope is an ability I'm fine with, because a) it's a temporary edge, like every other ability and b) they still have to be able to get into that position to begin with. But the Spidermag stuff? Gotta go.

I'd say letting the Magrider cruise over anything a Flash could feasibly traverse over gives it enough of a terrain advantage over the heavier, slower MBTs, without turning it into some kind of all-vector assault craft.

Not that I've actually seen too many All-Vector Spidermags, but I have managed to drive up to the Skydock in one. I really don't think I should have been able to.
  19. Ghosty11

You do realize that the Magrider weapons already does the least amount of damage of all three MBT's? The Magrider does a little bit more damage than a Lightning.

You folks really need to play to the strength's of your vehicles and stop trying to engage Magriders at extreme distances. On Jaeger, the TR and NC don't seem to have any problems dealing with Magriders, they spawn as HA's with lock-on launchers and blow them up. Every time I pull a Magrider it seems to get swarmed by Mossy's and Reavers. If you can't deal with Magriders, what will you whine about when I blow up your MBT with my Lightning?

I think your real problem is that you don't like vehicle spam, and on your server it seems to be the Vanu that abuse it (while in reality everybody does).
  20. RykerStruvian

This is a good idea. TR Tanks should have the option to fire both barrels at once, I don't see why they already can't.