Lets Play a Game

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MrPokealot, Jan 20, 2013.

1. MrPokealot

I call it: Lets complain about something arbitrarily unimportant about the game until the devs do something about it!

..Okay I'm just kidding. But now that I've got your attention, allow me to introduce you to a couple of youtube channels which will help you understand the game a little better.

Extra Credits.

Extra Credits is a youtube channel about game design. That means everything from Farmville to Black Ops 2. They talk about important things like why the noob tube is important, and why we spend so much time playing MMO games, or what kinds of mechanics make the game more interesting instead of plain old boring farming. They also highlight really, really noteworthy games like Journey or Spec Ops: The Line and why they're important.

XboxAhoy

If you haven't subscribed to this guy already, you're l This guy knows his stuff when it comes to in-game guns. He's responsible for creating high-quality weapon loadout guides and plays like a real pro. Don't take my word for it, watch his in-game footage. The reason why I mentioned him is because the knowledge he brings to the table translates over all fps games.

The reason I'm mentioning these guys is because the [Suggestions] sub-thread is getting ridiculously out of hand. This is clear if you've been on the forums long enough, and frankly its not unexpected. Anyone who's ever played an multiplayer online FPS will see this trend, and its worse when people actually antagonize the opposing teams.

Lets keep it classy folks. Stick to the facts.
  2. Mesdupkilr

The first video is quite good actually, I like the use of cartoons to get the point across.

Only problem with this is that game developers appease the masses too much and make games require zero skill.

Every player feels that they are so pro that anything that kills them is OP and therefore they complain to bits on forums until they get their way. Soon after they get bored and leave the game that they've ruined for everyone else.

The solution for every player is to adapt. If you feel something is OP then you should be researching the ways to defeat this OP tactic and then training yourself to be able to complete the counter action with ease. Do this and you'll get far more fun and satisfaction out of games.
  3. MrPokealot

Well I feel a big problem is the sense of entitlement that players have when playing games like this. It's a simple premise really. I paid X, therefore all my demands are valid. Of course you wouldn't expect this as mature adult, but the level of disassociation combined with plain ignorance and anonymity really compounds the error until it becomes a real problem. Oh and the fact that its a majority of kids are playing this game, not adults.

It's not even a problem of kids being incapable of coming up with good ideas, its just they're more likely to get caught up with their emotions and present frustration instead of facts. Frustration combined with perceived actual antagonism of "The Others" and further added to the bugs already present in the game make it a terrible place to be.

People are stubborn, they only change when they're sufficiently motivated to.

I always compare this game with APB:Reloaded. APB was a complete failure. Its free-to-play re-relase, APB:R is just as much a failure, to the point that G1(i.e. soe) implemented really cheap tactics to get players to give up their money using "Joker Boxes" which were randomized items that you could buy from a "Mystery Box" for like 3$ which would give you 50 percent Common Items, and about >1 percent chance of getting Rare and Ultra Rare items. Basically you'd have to spend upwards of 50>100$ to have a chance at getting rare items that werent purchaseable in the in-game shop.

They really used marketing gimmicks like that to take advantage of players.

A new vehicle kit(vehicle skin)would cost 30$ and guns with better mobility and handling with slightly reduced damage would be sold for about half as much. It was without a doubt pay-to-play but noone would admit it.

Thats why I brought up this thread, hopefully to educate the 1 percent that actually wants to learn how to play this game well, and to learn how to have fun as well, and hopefully suggest really fantastic ideas instead of ones like "X is OP or Y needs a debuff".