PS2 players: The 1%

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Nurath, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Lopshot

Door's ! Defendable bases ! Sanctuaries ! Backdoor fights ! Awesome tower fights ! LLU runs ! Ant runs !

Thank's for vid's !
  2. Oh Hitherenig

3. SGTalon

It is funny, while I agree that PS1 was a great game. I have tons of memories of the amazing gaming from PS1. But there were tons of things about it that were boring, slow, and annoying. Every time there was a patch people screamed and cried. There was seriously game breaking lag. Lag that gave you 1 frame every 2 seconds! Weapons were sloppy, griefing was rampant, and most of the maps were completely unused because of the lattice.

One of the main game mechanics that people keep begging for is locking a faction out of a continent. The thing i remember about that is it forced the entire faction to log off and quit playing for the night.

There were tons of great things about PS1 but there were also tons that were bad. Planetside 2 has so many things that are way better than PS1. Sure there are features that are not in the game... yet!!
    • Up x 4
  4. Xae

Bases are pretty decent. The spawns are too campable, but other than that I like them.

Planetside 1 fights got pretty boring.
    Hot Drop Tower as Agile/HA.
    Hot Drop Base as Agile/HA
    Possibly attack base as Rexo/HA
    Repeat
  5. Bardock-Sama

This post really made me wanna resubscribe to PS1. If only one could find decent sized fights like in the first vid.
  6. Accuser

We should all recognize that PS2 has nothing to do with PS1.
    Just because PS1 had compelling base design, no render range issues, and effective infantry-vs-vehicle balance doesn't mean that we should -learn- anything from it.
    • Up x 2
  7. icesail

Exactly, if we learn from our mistakes, how would we be able to do them all over again?
  8. Flarestar

Think you misunderstood what I was saying there. Was pointing out that PS1 gets brought up constantly because it's the most prominent basis of comparison for many of the posters here. They played PS1, and they came to PS2 expecting it to be an improved version of PS1. My point was that it wasn't because PS1 was special, or the ultimate pinnacle of game design (although it was actually very good for what it did) but that it's to be expected given the audience.
  9. {joer

I don't recall PS1 graphic being that ugly. :oops:
  10. Ak69

[IMG]
  11. Arcanum

Oh man, I (kinda) wish base turrets were automated.
  12. JohnnyMaverik

Would make for a very interesting patch :p
  13. MasterD

Graphically, Spawn times, and FPS Mechanics Id say yes. Inferior.

Base Design, Vehicle Mechanics, Warpgates, Sancs, Launch Content, Lattice System, Command Rank, Weapons, and Base Capture Mechanics... Id say were much better in PS1.

I don't want a PS1 clone with updated graphics I want a game that puts the best of both games together. They have nearly a decade of research of what worked and what didn't work in Planetside 1. It's a shame they just threw most of that away. I want great gun play with a great flowing war so I can also have a good fight! I want defendable bases where it comes down to a infantry fight before the base flips!

Luckily this is an MMO and we get updates! Looks like defendable bases are at the top of the list for this next patch! I think a lot of stuff will change in the first year and lots of new content will be added. After 6months-1 year we are going to have an incredible game. I can't wait!
  14. aw_man

The main reason, at least in my opinion, that PS1 dropped off, was because of the crappy servers, the average PC performance, and the real flaws of the game that were never addressed.

I never tried the BFR's, but heard so much whining about them that I thought the game was truly over, and that returning was pointless.

I hated the flails, either unskilled or too lazy to learn to use them myself, I remember just walking through amp stations and walking to the vehicle pad, to get hit out of nowhere by a giant purple blob of exploding death.

I remember my crappy Dell with its RD-RAM crashing so miserably every time I tried driving my magrider into a large fight. I remember all of my neighbors and my childhood friends jumping ship as well for the same problems, the game just seemed a bit ahead of its time. I think now with the technology the way it is, and definitely the growth of the industry, a truly polished, more mainstream emulation of PS1 is something that everyone would definitely like.

I really miss the indoor fighting in bases, spamming lashers and jackhammers around those backdoor stairwells and J-turns.
  15. Trinith

I think we need to give Planetside 2 some time to achieve that level of awesomeness... I've already had some pretty epic and memorable battles in PS2, so I don't think that it's fair to say that PS1 is OMGWAYBETTER. We get that nostalgia plays into it, but it's not all doom and gloom.

Anyway, I watched a bit of the first video and I will say this. That base design is leaps and bounds ahead of anything we have in PS2 thus far. I never played PS1... I always wanted to, but never had the opportunity... so this isn't from some vet living in nostalgia talking (though they'd probably agree). Give us that base design. Indoor is all but non-existent in PS2 right now.
  16. Arcanum

What was the problem with the spawn times?
  17. JojoTheSlayer

PS1 had huge issues against itself during its hay day.

(A) Online gaming wasnt that mainstream and broadband, something you needed for PS1 zerg fights, wasnt mainstream ether. I played PS1 on ISDN for almost a year before broadband was available here... Mostly doing outer limit stuff like AMS, intel, counter AMS and ninja etc... PS1 had those roles...

(B) They where asking FPS gamers to pay a monthly sub. Something only rpg players where used to...

(C) The game engine was such that they could not change the map at all. They could not change the bases ether.

(D) They went down the mmorpg expansion rute and got burnt because its a fps. Standard stuff today, but new territory in PS1 days.

(E) BFRs where introduced to OP, yes, but most people where on the verge of leaving anyway because of the game getting stale (see B) and the amount of devs where reduced to a skeleton crew to keep the game profitable. BFRs just made the choice to leave PS1 easier.

(F) WoW came out after it.

PS2 dose allot of things fresh and good, but they went to far down the BF3 hole and forgot their roots.
    PS1 Vets dont want PS1 back, but they want what worked in PS1 that isnt working in PS2, because the game is mmo not round based, back.
  18. JojoTheSlayer

One of the bigger complaints in PS1 from the community was that it was a grind attacking some bases.
    Most bases had 3 ways in. Front door, back door and roof. The generator controlling EVERYTHING was 2 floors underground!

The problem is they went to far in PS2 addressing this the balance is now totally the other way. Its impossible to defend.
    Only way you can defend now is being more than the attackers and at that point... why are you not attacking? So it flips until the defenders at some area on the map becomes more and it flips back... Kinda boring and predicable.
  19. siiix

LOL i think this meant to be a joke :)

if not i'm confused

lets just say in words anyone could understand ... "maybe wolfenstein 3d was really cool when you where 10.... but showing it around pretending its still cool 20 years later just pure lame" ;)

those videos are terrible ,,, seriously ! why would any one want that game back ... i loved donkey kong ... but i surely can say i will never play donkey kong ever again ;) ... if you get my drift
  20. Slyguy65

Funny you say that...since they actually nerfed paid for lib guns in the recent patch