At what K/D ratio would the game not be fun anymore and you decide it's best to just quit?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Kimble, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Turiel =RL=

K/D doesn't apply to all classes in the same way. Show me how you get that as medic for instance. You hardly ever shoot someone and you get blown up by grenades and taken out by snipers all day long.
  2. TheShrapnelKing

The issue here mainly is that, regardless of whether your K/D matters or not, it CAN be a measure of your skill but you would have to take in the factors of every single kill and every single death to see what the odds were, i.e. were you in a tank? if so, were you killed by an aircraft? if both of those are true, that makes the stat less accurate because you are beign killed by something you can't fight.

Now technically, killing someone doesn't matter because this game has infinite respawns which most games don't. But people like the OP (and to a certain extent myself when I first started, though I got over it) probably don't care about that because it feels like they're accomplishing nothing, that they're worthless and stupid.

The only way to defeat that feeling is to convince people that aren't good at killing people that they aren't worthless (though I know there's tons of good players that get a laugh out of beating on them about how much they suck, and they piss me off to no end), which is kind of backwards logic in most FPSs since the point of most is to kill people - PS2, well, it doesn't actually have one, you must make your own.
  3. hostilechild

Sounds like you are experiencing some hit detection issues, which almost always are due to internet connection. In huge fights its simply server unable to keep up, in smaller ones its your connection. I have killed people in a couple hits and seconds later empty clips into someone who turns around and kills me. Can be annoying but you learn to ignore it (like dieing instantly to a trac5 or solstice) knowing it has a .5ttk so much for those packets getting to me.

Getting too close to someone is buggy, you will shoot through them so avoid that if come up behind.

Find an outfit, playing with an organized group of people is 1000x more fun than running with zerglings.

When my friends are not on i typically don't play anymore, bunch of them on tons of fun.
  4. vrcarnage

K/D is pointless in this game. It's not an areana type game. Don't even worry about K/D. Combat effectiveness is all you need.

Example of combat effectiveness vs k/d.

Guy one kills 10 people before he dies. Guy 2 dies 10 times and kills the sunderer. Guy 2 is more combat effective because he stopped the source.
    • Up x 1
  5. Sovereign533

lol, i have a kill/death ratio for about... i think 0,4 or something. i die a LOT more times then what i kill. i'm amazed i got as high as 0.4 tough xD. however, i usually just run around with a maxed medical applicator getting entire squads back on their feet in seconds =D

edit, oh, appearently it's 1.4... WTF?
  6. ent|ty

It's not about KDR for me, but dying over and over to Lib spam trying to defend a base is no fun and will make me rage quit
  7. Smaisteri

I hate it if my KDR goes below 3.0 in any game. Tho I dont know what would be the point when I'd quit since I nearly always have over 3.0KDR.
  8. Veridio

Get out of the combat and try healing or ammo dropping/armor repairing. It gets you dozens of certs without trying, so you can use it to upgrade your weapon/armor for the future.
  9. fish998

I don't know what issues you might be having, but it shouldn't take 3 seconds of headhots to kill other infantry. Either you're missing due to maybe hip-firing, or you have a connection problem or high ping.

I've also noticed the same thing to a lesser extent, that other people kill me a lot quicker than I kill them. I've always put this down to either NC cone of fire, low rate of fire, or more likely them just getting more headshots than me, but it could also just be a quirk of the netcode and everyone could be getting it, i.e. you don't see accurately what the other player is doing, it sounds like they only fired 3 shots where they actually fired 15, it looked on your screen like you fired at the same time, but actually they fired 0.2s before you. There's obviously some 'negotiation' going on between the 2 clients to work out who did lethal damage first.

Yesterday I detonated some C4 with a guy stood directly on it, who didn't die, so I asked him how he survived and was told that on his end I detonated it before he stood on it. Lag, ping, packet loss, prediction code, whatever, it's just the downsides of online gaming.

For the record if my KDR was below 0.5 and it was all about lack of skill, I don't think I'd enjoy that. It's usually between 1.0 and on a good day 2.0.
  10. SKYeXile

at about 10/1 K/D.
  11. Dulu

*Looks at OP's Faction Avatar*

*Turns and walks away*
  12. Schnitzle

I think K/D should be entirely removed from the game. Yes I know it's a bit of a novelty and players like to compare stats and all, but I think the MMO social aspect of this game would benefit greatly if people weren't constantly conscious of their K/Ds. after all, this is a heavily team based game, or is at least designed to be. With the kill ratio removed players would rely more on the overarching faction goals of the game (which I believe should be a statistic in itself) so they can brag about things like most bases captured/defended, whose factions is better and start working towards that communal goal. I also believe it would bring back the giant battles we saw in the first few weeks of launch.
  13. Talizzar

My fun is not based on my KD. Never has never will. You realize that suicide counts as a death. Suicide is the fastest method to travel in the game. Sometimes conditions require continual charging to win. Sometimes you die lots and other times not.
  14. CosyPigeon

Sounds like you have **** ping. Consider upgrading your internet connection and choosing a server that is closer to where you live. if it's taking you 2 to 3 seconds to kill some one at point blank range, this is most likely due to lag.
  15. Eacaraxe

KDR? Completely irrelevant. This is a team, objective game. Individual success is determined by your overall contribution to your squad, platoon, outfit, or team. You could have an exorbitantly high KDR, legit, yet as long as you aren't playing as part of a team, and each of those kills contributes to the team's and faction's objectives, it doesn't matter one whit. On the flip side, you could have an exorbitantly low KDR, and as long as you're a part of your team and contribute, you're an asset.

My KDR, as of tonight, is .27. I still have plenty of fun playing the game, because I mainly play medic and engineer; I don't run around carrying my gun, and if I'm in a vehicle that's not a transport it's a lightning that I use to back up infantry. I run around with a healing tool or a repair tool. My "personal" performance matters less to me than that of my team.

I actually loathe with an undying passion the "modern military shooters" the infantry style of game play is focused around, to the point that if and when I have to equip my gun or get isolated from at least a couple other players to support I stop having fun.
  16. Ozrik

Don't sweat K/D just have fun. Focus on team/support play, and do crazy stuff for luls. Like strapping c4 to flashes and doing bombing runs or AI mines at odd places, always get a chuckle when one of those goes off.

Get the EMP/Concusion grenades to disorient folks in a room and throw regular frag in after or go in guns blazing. Everyone dies who cares go out with style :p

All that matters is you have fun and try to help your team, kills will come.
  17. Bill Hicks

They should separate infantry K/D with vehicle K/D.
  18. xpsyclosarinx

You shouldn't be playing any online game if you are lagging so hard you can't kill anyone....

Though might I suggest you take up being a dedicated sunderer driver? It's a massively helpful asset, maybe avoid flying galaxies just in case you lag out and kill everyone.
  19. Alizona

LOL I'll tell my story. I capped a point, and as I'm leaving a Gunship shows up. We battled for about a half hour, I got some missles into him and prevented him from re-taking the point, but every time he'd just pull way away and land to repair. And sometimes he'd kill me if I was careless. But I kept respawining and kept fighting back, preventing him from landing and capping. It seemed like we fought forever, essentially to a standstill.

Then his cavalry showed up, and it was over.

But I told him, in chat, that if they hadn't showed up, I would have died a million times and given him a million certs... because I didn't care. I was having fun!!!

tl;dr cliffs - who cares about K/D ratio, who cares about dying, this isn't real, it's a FUN GAME!!
  20. LeanV

When I was playing on a garbage computer, I find that sniping is much more zen mode for me. Hard to compete in a firefight when you average 10-14 fps against a guy who's jetpacking around with a shotgun...