[Suggestion] Ammo pack as utility for medic or all classes

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by GImofoJoe, Jan 15, 2013.

1. GImofoJoe

I don't mind, people like them are everywhere, just have to adapt.

The only drawback is AA max won't get ammo. People rarely use flash for assault anyway, they use tanks mostly. Why not giving both support class ammo pack? It is their primary role to support instead of assault, so they should have more ways to support.

I too look for more incentive to play as medic, right now it is one of the most boring class to play. Right now their mains source of xp is healing and reviving, not a whole lot of fun, but if you're going to stay back and supporting might as well place an ammo pack and get some xp while healing. I just think the ammo will be more useful to the support class who stick close to foot soldiers the most.
  2. Malsvir Vishe

The thing is that giving medics an ammo pack would encourage them to stand in place and camp, because they have a healing ability and can get a grenade launcher. Engineers, while they CAN use the ammo pack, are far more mortal than a medic or medic team.

A better alternative to giving the medic the ammo pack would be to allow them to drop a small pack that very slowly heals nearby teammates. Give it the range of the ammo pack and one fifth the rate of the medic healing tool in healing efficiency.

Leave the engineer to the building, destroying, and ammunition class. It's the status quo in many other games (one of them being Team Fortress 2).
    • Up x 1
  3. calchar

I primarily play medic and i like this more than an ammo box (i wouldnt say no to it tho). it adds an area heal that allows ppl to heal and frees the medic to do triage while still gaining xp in a broader support role (ie healing a grp while rezing/ healing near death ppl).

the only problem i see with this is that its not actually giving new functionality just expanding the scope of medic healing, more healing is not giving me another role its just making me better at the role i already fill.
  4. ABATTLEDONKEY

WOW! this is a shining example of the cescepool that is this forums community today. Thanks COD for giving them to us. rational, clearly laid out ideas are met with negative feedback that makes a 5 yr old look mature.

Joe despite the complete lack of rational retorts, I must also express my disagreement with this idea. your logic makes sense, with exception to the idea that the engi is a vehicle support class. thats not really the case IMO.to me, the engi is the "support" class in an over all sense and he gets the cool toys. in compromise of this, he gets very little hp and little killing power. the medic's only goal is to keep people alive. I think that PS2 did a good job with the medic in this game, but instead of throwing around the same toys to different classes, I would much prefer to see more options for the medic to add depth and complexity to the class.
  5. Iksniljiksul

HA with infinite rockets every single time they spawn?

LA with infinite ammo or launcher grenades to be shot from above which are instant headshots?

INF with infinite sniper rounds every time they go in the field?

Medics able to work around their small clips becoming true killing machines?

No.

Medics are one of the best classes for urban hit and run tactics. They can keep both bars up to full and win fight after fight in CQC if they play smart. Don't limit yourself to just healing, you have access to some of the best CQC hip fire weapons in the game.

Medics are second only to LA for ambush warfare. INFs cloak is actually a detriment for this activity. They can't shoot out of it, the drop is not instant, it makes a very loud noise, and everyone not on low graphics can see it just fine. This has to change if they want their spot back as number one instead of third place.
  6. Xasapis

The thing is, the healing ability of the medic puts him on similar footing with the heavy assault in an actual infantry offensive. Combined with an extremely accurate weapon, and medics are one of the deadliest classes in the game. The only reason a medic would stay behind an offensive is because there are no other medics to rezz people if necessary. While the engineer is the only class with no special ability, making him the weakest class in the game. The infiltrator is more fragile than the engineer, but the engagement distances plus the special generally puts him in a much safer spot than the engineer.

Engineers right now are vital at any infantry push, because any infantry push involves maxes going upfront and soaking damage while the rest of the infantry clears the way. In reality, maxes can't withstand much punishment without the repair support of the engineer. Ammo plays a part when fighting vs vehicles as infantry, but in most occasions engineers will support infantry either by repairing maxes or by providing ammo to said maxes (especially the AA ones).

From my understanding, every class has a defining attribute, something that makes it special. Heavy assault have the shield and the rockets, light assault have the flying, medics have the healing and rezzing, infiltrators the cloaking and the sniper rifles and engineers have the repairing, choice of explosives and ammo dispensers. Would giving ammo dispensing make the role of the medic more prominent? Somebody mentioned a deployable AoE medic tool, to work as the ammo pouch, only to slowly heal bio lab style. Personally I would consider this a better idea for a medic, than giving ammo pouch to a class that doesn't really need it to define itself.
  7. CosyPigeon

That's a pretty good point people, most people only ever go engy when they want to play vehicles. And if the engy is in a vehicle, he's not giving out ammo. The engineer already has a pretty clearly defined role in the game, and it generally doesn't involve helping infantry.

ammo in this game is scarce enough as it is, making ammo packs available to other classes (even if it is just the medic) is an idea worth considering at least.
  8. LeanV

YOU GET INFINITE ROCKETS! YOU GET INFINITE ROCKETS! EVERYBODY GETS INFINITE ROCKETS!

And while we're at it that sniper should never have to leave his perch for anything. Ever. Because anything less than infinite sniper rounds is simply underpowered.
  9. LeanV

The engineer is also only one of the two classes that is allowed to use the under-slung grenade launcher.
  10. CosyPigeon

We get it, not EVERY class should have access to infinite ammo, however since engineers spend most of their time in vehicles, and thus don't spend much time supporting infantry, then maybe it would be better if the ammo kit got given to a class that spends most of it's time hanging around and supporting infantry, like the medic.
  11. CosyPigeon

3 classes. Medics, LA, and Engy can all equip underslung grenade launchers. Engineers are generally not particularly fun to play as in infantry battles, sue you can get allot of EXP from dropping ammo, but you can get more EXP (and have more fun) from kicking *** in a tank as Engy. Ammo pack should belong to a class that hangs around infantry.
  12. Revanmug

This is completly illogic. It's not because engineer is the only class with a repair tool which is a major reason to be used when doing vehicule warfare that, automatically, he should pass all his time in vehicule.

The fact that MAX are dependant on engineer, and so are other class for ammo, with a weapon that can be is a deadly as most other weapons makes him an effective infantry class in many situation.

The problem is the not class or the ammo pack, but the ****** players that have yet to figure out how to give ammo or that you don't need one in the utility slot to drop them.
    • Up x 1
  13. CosyPigeon

The engy gets a carbine, which is pretty much the crappiest infantry weapon in the game (aside from shot guns and side arms), unlike LA he doesn't get jump jets to put him in advantagous positions to pick off enemy players. So whilst engy infantry players do exist, they are generally rarer than other infantry classes, and this is compounded by the fact that most engineers do spend most of their time in vehicles, there is nothing illogical about that, it is common sense. When was the last time you saw a large group of infantry that consisted mostly of engineers? never?

There have been plenty of times where I have been in a fire fight with about 30 other infantry players, and nobody was playing engineer, and so nobody had any ammo, why where the no engineers? because it was a medium to long range fire fight, and carbines are **** at that range.
  14. VexTheRaven

You people are missing a few things: Just because the engineer repairs vehicles doesn't make them the "vehicle support" class. If you spend all your time in vehicles as people are suggesting, how are you going to repair anything? And you don't have to follow people around to supply ammo. You drop a few ammo packs in common areas, and go off to repair stuff. Oh, and Heavy Assaults are in the middle of the action, why not give them a medic tool and ammo pack? It makes sense, so they can res each other and keep their ammo up!
  15. WUNDER8AR

On my server there's actually tons of ammo dispensing engineers during infantry battles, including myself. Sure, it happens from time to time that there's noone dispensing ammo whatsoever. This may be frustrating, but if you happen to run into one of those situations, go to a Terminal and switch to Engi yourself, drop some ammo and save the day. Or simply resupply via the terminal itself. Infantry balance seems just about right the way it is. It is nice to have different kits, each serving a distinct role, which overall promotes teamplay and strategical thinking. And as mentioned above, Loadout terminals shouldn't be left out in that manner.

I'd actually much rather if Medics, HA's and Infiltrators could carry their special grenades in addition to normal frag grenades. But I'd love to see a slight frag grenade nerf along those lines too.

However, It'd be also nice if the engi kit wouldn't be the demoman in the game. I'd appreciate if explosives were removed from the engi kit and instead given to a completely new class, like Pioneers for instance, which could be responsible for laying out mines of all sorts or building anti-vehicle barriers.
    • Up x 1
  16. GImofoJoe

This game needs more ways for infantry to stop the dominant and abundance of vehicles. There are times where there's a bunch of HA and medic and no engineer to drop ammo, no rockets and the tanks slaughter everyone. Giving Medic ammo pack will help infantry better chance against vehicles.

If it wasn't for the AA Max needing repair instead of healing, the ammo pack should be the Medic's tool instead of engineer. Because they stick to troops, healing and supply ammo, while engineer is in a vehicle somewhere playing rambo.

Only time I ever change to engineer is to play vehicle, other times HA/LA for assault. Medic right now isn't so attractive to me. Giving Medic ammo pack means ground troops will run out of ammo less, much less than now. Considering most guns has only 4-5 spare magazines.

Giving both medic and engineer ammo packs would be a good idea to me. Engineer with ammo packs good for AA Maxes, Medic with ammo pack is good for all ground troops.
  17. Zotamedu

Why bother giving out ammo packs to all classes when it would be easier to just give everybody infinite ammo. The result would be the same.
  18. Xasapis

Why would a infantry assault consist mostly of engineers when one ammo pouch can cover a whole platoon (or anyone that is around him). Not to mention that it makes zero sense to put the weakest infantry class in the game to spearhead an attack. You really don't need more than one engineer per squad (assuming they are semi-organized and move as a unit), unless they cover maxes, in which case it's ideal to have one engineer per max.
  19. Azren

Does it hurt to rely on others in a team based game? Seriously man! No class in game is fully independent. Most run out of ammo and health. Engi can supplement it's ammo, but is stuck with the worst weapons. Medic can heal itself at any time and even has superior weapons.

Roles are important. Your suggestion is rubbish.
    • Up x 2
  20. Grotpar

I wouldn't mind more universal utility.

But I don't think ammo packs are the way to go.