What is the response to scatter MAXes in a biolab?

Discussion in 'MAX' started by SideOfBeef, Jan 13, 2013.

1. MaxDamage

Yes, they can. Any more questions?

Also, lol @ nella. You should visit the bathroom, you're full of ****.

Telling people not to engage NC MAXes unless they're dumb, is not solving the problem of overpowered NC MAXes. Similarly saying 'keep at range' is stupid when you're in most cases going to be right next to the NC MAX when you discover it, your option is charge, which they also have and can just two/three shot you in the blink of an eye.

Currently if a TR or VS MAX is doing it's job well, an NC can spawn a MAX and GUARANTEE a kill on said MAX and supporting troops, simply by charging in. This makes the NC MAX not even a mere MAX but basically a class of its own above mere MAX units.

It's unacceptable in its current form.

No. NC MAXes need their damage output cut clean in half.
  2. Dkamanus

What you want is Beta NC MAX and Beta TR MAX.

No thanks, the current interation of MAXes is MUCH more balanced then that time.
  3. Mishkel

Well pretty much its the same answer as for TR/VS MAX's when their targets are not a MAX. You as a non MAX likely aren't going to fare well if you just try to go head to head with any MAX.

If you have HA which are pretty common.. make sure they have the default (or paid) non lock rocket launcher. Anyone with Prox Mines .. C4.. those are all common. I mean if you can't kill the medic that tries to run up to revive the MAX.. then you have a larger issue.

If you don't have access to Prox Mine, C4 etc When a MAX comes at you try to get close... most are not smart enough to use their melee and if you are dead center (between the arms) then they aren't going to hit you (NC at least). Their shotguns don't hit the dot up close so you'd have to be off to the side in front of one of the arms to even get hit... if they are smart enough to go melee then run around them as they turn much slower than you... I've done it but its obviously more difficult if others are shooting at you. Then again they'll kill their own MAX as a bonus .. along with you.
  4. korpisoturi

YEAH., but it seems that some TR here just want to nerf scatters close range advantage even when knowing its hacksaws ONLY range and yet keep that MUCH better range+ more ammo in they own maxes , but then again nothing new here, TR already have best infantry weapons and they have used to it to have little upperhand on most if not all fire fight ,hacksaw is ONLY weapon class what TR cant mow down with TRAC-5 and T9-CARV too easily and they hate it.

one thing you trac-5/t9-carv FREE LOADER jockeys should think, REALLY think, effective hacksaw user have to invest MASSIVE amount time+ thousands of certs/money TO MAKE IT effective, NOT like person x who picks they empire as TR and get 2 best infantry weapons in the game for FREE.
  5. Frosty The Pyro

C4
    grenade spam
    C4
    Rockets (preferably to the face)
    C4
    longer ranges (hard to find but there)
    C4
    shoot them while they reload ( it happens ALOT, preferably in the face)
    C4
    Underbarel grenade launcher
    Did I mention C4?

Also dont forget to camp the corpse to keep the medics away.
  6. korpisoturi

:eek:o_O...........:eek:..............:rolleyes: ..:rolleyes: ..:rolleyes:..:rolleyes: ...:eek: ..............................................:confused:

"Telling people not to engage NC MAXes unless they're dumb, is not solving the problem of overpowered NC MAXes. Similarly saying keep at range' is stupid when you're in most cases going to be right next to the NC MAX when you discover it, your option is charge, which they also have and can just two/three shot you in the blink of an eye"

yes WE can tell you to "keep your distanceusetacticsl2paimbetteruseteamplayplaaplaa" JUST like so many TR says : "burstfire/aimbetter/l2p" in closerange combat,so...... QUIT WHINING L2P AIMBETTER BURSTFIRE ADADADANCE AND SO ON..........
  7. MaxDamage

Anyone arguing for NC is an NC player. This is not a coincidence. It is going to be nerfed, grow a pair and deal with it.
  8. Vansoth

Rocket/Grenade spam is the best way to deal with any MAX(TR/NC/VS). NC MAXes are just better inside bio labs because out to 10M they put out so much firepower so fast that anything melts.

I personally don't think this is unfair. I believe what draws the complaints is that the TTK at close range for TR/VS AI MAX is no faster than a stock LMG and gets much worse as range increases beyond 10 meters.

This gives opponents a wider margin of error when they deal with TR/VS MAX and makes them really frustrated when a NC MAX melts through them in half the time of a shotgun(instant).

So the NC max is working as intended and the others are not.
  9. Purg

I'm NC, give me your Mercies, you can have my Scattercannons and we'll call it a day.

To me the shotguns are so limiting that I run slugs which makes killing close range harder so I can kill longer range.. harder.
  10. Vansoth

I am completely serious about this suggestion. If you want more range and versatility try running with one shotgun(with extended mags) and a falcon. You can still kill any infantry or MAX in one clip with the shotgun at less than 5 meters and the falcon will give you some ranged hitting power. The projectile is fast enough that it can be used at 15 meters to hit infantry targets.
  11. Purg

Tried it, It's awful and went a long way to convincing me that mixing roles (at least on the NC MAX) just turns the MAX into a weapon platform that can't really do anything well.

I don't play to kill people in less than 5m. I slug my Scatters so I can actually get range at the expense of being a lot less effective at 5m - but still able to kill at 5m if I can aim an inaccurate weapon. The several times I tried the AI/AV combination I got smashed at both 5m and 35m. It's surprising how weak a Scattercannon feels when you're only using one of them and how difficult it is to kill someone with one Falcon when you're not 20m above them.
  12. SideOfBeef

Reading through this thread, it's interesting that nobody has been able to respond to my OP yet. I'll repeat myself.

What is the response to NC MAXes in a saturation-populated biolab? What beats them, bearing in mind that infantry won't even render until they are in comfortable shotgun range, and that the only close-range damage that can kill an attended MAX (C4) costs as many resources as the MAX itself and leaves the MAX in a revivable state.

Given that the rendering problem is hoped to improve in the future, the answer here isn't necessarily to nerf the NC MAX (since a rendering fix would already make them much weaker), but to give the other factions MAX shotguns so that they can at least compete. And give the NC regular projectile weapons as well.
  13. Purg

Many things beat it. The answers are dotted all over this thread if you took a moment to read it. I've been C4'ed, flashbanged, EMPed, ganged up on by 3+ infantry from different angles, Decimator, nades and heaven forbid, actual teamwork! I've heard a few MAXs recently complain about tank mines.. haven't come across that one yet.

I posted a video last night of me in Vanu Archives. The lasher ripped me a new one close range. That was one infantry who took nearly 3/4 of my health as I was retreating and reloading. I killed several HA's who had completely surprised me in the dark and did not employ a single rocket or throw a grenade. The enemy had several opportunities to slay me but either paniced or ran.

The few times I've been in a Bio Lab, infantry trickle in and rarely storm en masse. At least on Briggs, there's a low population of NC MAX in Bio Labs - very occasionally I've seen 2 by a teleporter. That's about it. An NC MAX can be easily overwhelmed and has less mass stopping power than an AI equipped TR or VS MAX.

A sneaky light assault that can work their way up onto the roofs of buildings in the Bio Lab can kill MAX at typical hiding spots very easily with C4.

How many more ways do you want?
  14. SideOfBeef

It helps if you actually read my post. I already explained why C4 is not viable in SATURATED BIOLAB FIGHTS. Grenades and rockets are not viable because of the distance rendering issue in SATURATED BIOLAB FIGHTS. Further, if opponents need much larger, more coordinated numbers of MAXes to defeat NC MAXes, that is an obvious imbalance.
  15. Purg

Then throw your hands up, admit defeat and fight at one of the other 200 places across 3 continents, I don't know what you want to hear other than NC MAX is overpowered, nerf it into the ground and give me all their weapons..!
  16. SideOfBeef

So you think it's ok for a major portion of the game to be unplayable? As I've been explaining, there is a serious problem with the NC MAX. You now seem to agree. I've proposed some solutions. Don't know why you're getting so hurt about it.
  17. Purg

LOL. I'm telling you what you want to seem to want to hear since you ignored all the advice including some of the options I suggested you try. Render distance inside a Bio Lab? Seriously? LOL

What is it you're contributing?
  18. SideOfBeef

Yes, render distance. To be more accurate, it's player visibility filtering on behalf of the server. When more than a certain threshold of players are within normal render range, the server begins filtering which players data it sends to your client, to keep bandwidth requirements managable.

One of the main criteria for which player's data is sent to you is proximity, meaning players will appear to pop-in in busy areas when you get closer to them. In particular, in saturated biolab fights, the pop-in distance commonly becomes 15 meters or less. Hence the problem. All infantry become invisible and undamagable to anything more than 15 meters away, giving a massive advantage to NC MAXes.

The developers have posted about this many times, and have spent several patches trying to improve it with little success. It's unfortunate that they didn't factor this problem in when balancing the NC's MAX versus the other factions, because it does swing saturated Biolab fights heavily in favor of the NC.

Want me to directly address the options you suggested? C4? Not effective, costs as many resources as the MAX itself, requires shotgun-range deployment, and the MAX can be revived. Which I already said several times. Grenades/Rockets/any other explosive in the game? Won't hit beyond 15 meters due to the render problem.
  19. Mishkel

People did read your post and responded. You keep trying to create a situation where no advice is useful.

"Grenades and rockets are not viable because of the distance rendering issue "

So are you saying the real issue is that NC MAX units have a better rendering distance? Anyone with shotties on an NC MAX can use a floor to see the distance you need for accurate fire. Because up close you won't hit what you aim at.. it has to be left or right of center to hit with the one arm. After you go out a bit you will hit what you aim at and with slugs can have semi decent range.

The MAX would have to be having the same render issue or they are only used by people with better hardware or some such that gives then better render distance. I see plenty of NC MAX corpses at biolab fights so somebody has figured it out... but yes if you round a corner and see an NC MAX and they pop you.. you are likely instantly dead.

You don't need more numbers to deal with an NC MAX... an infantry player who dances around one well can kill it with a knife as the MAX helpless tries to find their target. If you stand at a range blasting (besides long range) you might die *gasp*. If the MAX is being healed by an Engi and Revived by a Medic you are not fighting "a MAX". So of course you might be expected to bring more than one person to kill 3...

In a saturated BIolab fight I personally don't even notice MAX units because you are being hit by so many people you die no matter what. Eventually one side over whelms the other.. or you are simply in a spawn/pad entry camping session and you aren't trying to break out from "a MAX' in any saturated fight anywhere... At least on Matterson you will see far more non max infantry than you will see MAX units in general. When you used to see a lot of MAX units was when we had parties on top of certain rock formations shooting down the air zerg.. haven't seen one of those in a few weeks.
  20. SideOfBeef

Just gonna copy paste from above:

Yes, render distance. To be more accurate, it's player visibility filtering on behalf of the server. When more than a certain threshold of players are within normal render range, the server begins filtering which players data it sends to your client, to keep bandwidth requirements managable.

One of the main criteria for which player's data is sent to you is proximity, meaning players will appear to pop-in in busy areas when you get closer to them. In particular, in saturated biolab fights, the pop-in distance commonly becomes 15 meters or less. Hence the problem. All infantry become invisible and undamagable to anything more than 15 meters away, giving a massive advantage to NC MAXes.

The developers have posted about this many times, and have spent several patches trying to improve it with little success. It's unfortunate that they didn't factor this problem in when balancing the NC's MAX versus the other factions, because it does swing saturated Biolab fights heavily in favor of the NC.

Now for original content: To be frank, if you aren't able to find MAXes because you're being killed by everything else, then sorry but you aren't equipped to have this conversation. You're also contradicting yourself, saying that both you don't see MAXes, and that you do see MAXes but they're all dead. Thirdly, I don't have a problem with an NC MAX/Engi/Medic combo beating one infantry, I have a problem with that three person combo beating any other three person combo in the game by a wide magin, because of the disparity in the NC MAXes firepower in saturated biolab fights.