Could you imagine if 1/15 U.S. military deaths were FF?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Dulu, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Dulu

Just looking at my stats, 700 deaths to Vanu, 700 to TR, 100 to NC.

This just isn't working. There really needs to be some sort of tangible punishment every time you kill a friendly, or destroy a friendly vehicle. Just like real life. (Yes, I hate that argument as much as the next guy)

But every time I roll a sunderer out of a base, just to have it TK'd by some friendly LA with 2 C4's who thinks hes funny, or every time I'm repairing my ESF and get bombed by a friendly liberator by mistake, or every time I'm playing my infi, and I cloak next to someone and they turn and empty a clip into me.. (nevermind the fact that each faction hass a unique sound, and I have a blue triangle over my head)

It makes me want to quit this game.

Please, do something.
  2. Dulu

And no, I'm not proposing we remove friendly fire.

I'm proposing we make it more troll-proof. Make weapons lock much stricter. Destroying a friendly vehicle, especially something like a Sunderer, should be a 30 minute weapons lock instantly.
  3. hostilechild

Your pretty lucky, mine is worse than 1/10 deaths to FF.

Vehicles no longer think they are playing death race (old version) and run everyone over for giggles, so its got beter.
    Now its gren spam, or just wanting to "help" me kill the enemy and i just happen to be between them and a Kill :mad: , or getting caught up in a c4 explosion/tank HE. 4enemy kills > 1 FF :eek: can live with that at least.
  4. Ganelon

It's not?
    • Up x 1
  5. Eugenitor

The real-world friendly fire rate is actually about twice 1/15. If there were no doritos, you'd be seeing a LOT more.

My FF death rate is about 1 in 25, but that's just because I go commando.
  6. Dulu

Link to that please? I'm pretty sure the FF rate is no where near 1/7.5, considering 3 U.S. infantry were killed by friendly fire in almost a decade.
  7. Morpholine

Be careful around zippers.
    • Up x 3
  8. Eugenitor

http://www.salon.com/2009/01/15/friendly_fire_6/

People, friendly fire is going to happen. It's especially going to happen when there's grenade spam all over the place, when noobs aren't watching where they're aiming, when some LA runs into your Sunderer with C4 and everyone's shooting all over the place trying to get him.
    • Up x 2
  9. DukeFlash

Please don't compare this game (or any game) to real life unless it's specifically trying to be a simulator.
    In real life, soldiers go through weeks of basic training then train some more on their specialties.
    This is a F2P game that lets anyone play, immediately.
    In real life these soldiers also are more careful because if they die: they stay dead.
  10. Solaries

Here's the thing: most of my friendly kills are from people being dumb, like running into the top room of a tower camp, crashing their flash into my sunderer, or hanging out right outside a spawn room door. They're playing stupid, and the pay for it: why should I?
  11. SlyHix

I think FF rate is around 40% give or take a bit. I know when I was in every death we had was a FF death. That was only like 400 guys though.
  12. MiZrY

Don't run in front of my gun when I'm shooting
    • Up x 1
  13. Verisimilituder

Stop being a baby. Friendly fire builds character.
  14. Cinc

Ok, no matter what the real-life FF statistics are, none of those deaths are from guys trolling and shooting someone in the back for laughs, or a single tank running over 10 guys in a row.

All the same, its really not that tanks fault (in this game). Our allies are INCREDIBLY stupid.
  15. MilitiaMan

http://mericans.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/america-mother****er.jpg
    'MURICA
  16. wowie

TKing is too easy and doesn't have enough punishment. I still remember that day when I killed 2 rocketscrubs with my lightning AP and, lo and behold, less than 30 seconds later a stock magrider instagibs my rear armor and then claims he was a noob that "didn't know that the purple tank is friendly." I went along with it, to keep from getting mass-reported by passers-by for noob abuse...

This is a GAME and I play it to have FUN but I can't do that when people CHEAT the GAME mechanics in an unintended fashion.
  17. SinerAthin

If you think TKing is bad on the NC side, come to the Vanu.

There's a reason why everybody steers clear off the Magriders :p

I think I heard somewhere that in Vietnam, the US had like 1/3 deaths due to FF.
    I'm guessing that has to be in a few certain engagements, but that couldn't possibly be the case for the overral war.
  18. Forsakerr

19. wowie

Let's see... in IRL a terrorist can't just walk into a US recruiter's office, pick up a gun,
    then walk onto a field and murder ~100 guys and millions of dollar's worth of equipment...

Then only get his gun taken away for half an hour or so before he can do it all over again.
    • Up x 2
  20. Selentic

Dystopia had a system where if you got tked a menu would pop up asking you whether you wanted to punish the tker. After enough yes votes the player would be banned from the server. Something along those lines might work, but then again, this game's population isn't nearly as mature as Dystopia's was so idk how well that would hold up, since I have a feeling a lot of players would still penalize players for obvious accidents or things that were their own fault.

Perhaps just alter the system to not penalize for damage that also damages enemies, or make it so you don't get penalized if you have damaged an enemy in the last few seconds (so that you don't get punished if a friendly walks infront of you while you're shooting someone).