Why is it that a kill feels so much better when...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MasterCheef, Jan 6, 2013.

1. MasterCheef

why is it that a kills feels soo much better when you think it made the other person rage??

I know its not just me. Whenever i get a kill on someone that obviously had the better of me, or i repeatedly kill the same person trying to do the same thing- something inside me enjoys the fact that this person is probably raging and cursing my name on the other end.

I will never know for sure and there is no visual indication- but deep inside i'm convinced that this person threw their controller when seeing my avatar on their death sceen yet again. For some reason that makes me smile.

Its a feeling you will NEVER get from beating A.I.
    • Up x 2
  2. MiZrY

It tickles that inner troll inside all of us.
    • Up x 1
  3. Alkasirn

Well if they're throwing their controller after dying they're probably dying quite a lot ;)

Weird though, I never got that feeling.
  4. smokemaker

I understand completely.
  5. ent|ty

Because you have a bit of darkness in you. The kind similar to enjoying seeing animals get hurt, or making babies cry.
    All these statements are based from malice and the will to cause pain to others. Some would call it psychopathic.

You have superpowers to read others thoughts?

This is another matter entirely. Taking down a Lib that was being cheap, or a sniper that killed you 3 times so you spent your time to flank him to get a humiliating knife kill on him, or to revenge yourself on someone, etc. Or someone got the jump on you, or had been bullying you while you're trying to repair your base equipment.. yes, the kill is sweet.
    • Up x 1
  6. MasterCheef

on the flip side-

i rage when i think that the other person thinks they got the best of me. Its like i can see them laughing.
  7. Ronaldspiers

[IMG]
    • Up x 3
  8. Llaf

Because it is in our nature to laugh at other peoples misfortune. A great example is watching a fail video, pretty much everyone has seen a fail video they thought was hilarious, even if they don't like most of them.
  9. Llaf

Also this.
  10. Yil

Wow.
  11. MasterCheef

i can see where you're going with your "evaluation" but its far from that deep. i dont ever "Troll" or TK. Its purely in the spirit of virtual competition.

I dont spawn camp either, i usually piss people off because i will just blow up a sundy if i can.
  12. MiZrY

Are you a psychology student or something? We all have an "inner darkness"..... especially ALL of us who find enjoyment in fighting a simulated war. It's in our nature. We are predators.
  13. PharmD

I'm pretty sure it's human nature. We didn't evolve to be the way we are by being nice to everyone. No, we used to be vicious hunters. Don't worry about it. Embrace it.
  14. Otleaz

The fact that kills give no satisfaction at all means that any satisfaction what-so-ever will stand out much more than usual. In this case from trolling.
  15. Bambolero

16. Sebastien

Because you're a Sociopath
  17. Jaquio

I like it when a plan comes together and when things work out the way I had anticipated. I like when I out-think or tactically out-maneuver an enemy. I also appreciate when an enemy defeats me though excellence. Nothing like losing to a perfectly thrown grenade, or excellently performed flanking movement causing me to whisper "clever girl..."

But I don't get joy out of making people angry.
    • Up x 1
  18. ent|ty

Word.

Speak for yourself. It's usually more appropriate then speaking for others.
  19. Linedan

Well, as one of the people who rages (but has not yet thrown his $60 Logitech G500, thank God...well, not very far, anyway) I just don't like being reminded how bad I am at this game, but...can't win if you don't play. Other than beating myself up verbally--which is my own problem that I really need to deal with--I get angry if I think the other side is laughing at me because I'm doing stupid stuff, which I do a fair bit. I have the situational awareness of Stevie Wonder with earplugs sometimes.

The problem is? As much as this game causes me to lose my cookies and beat myself up? I can't stop playing because sometimes, on a very few occasions, something magical happens and out of nowhere I pull off something so un-me that it blows my mind. Like I'll get six kills running and gunning as an engineer in three minutes, or I'll be leading a push in a Lightning and kill three heavies with three perfect HEAT hits (including one headshot) in three consecutive shots, bing-bang-boom. So I suffer through the 0-and-7 stints and yell and get frustrated and slam my hand down on my desk and log off in anger with my head in my hands, because someday, I keep deluding myself, I'm actually going to get out there and just shred people.

Maybe someday. Maybe.

And nah, I'm not into making other people angry. I do try to keep a respect for the players in the other factions, at least on an individual level. I do get frustrated particularly with our VS who seem to think the solution to all life's problems is 20 Magriders, 20 Scythes, and 10 Liberators and spawncamping half the bases on the map simultaneously, but that's just the way the game is right now.
  20. PieBringer

It's the fact that, by our very nature as humans, we all desire control. When we lack that control, and the longer we do not have it, the feeling is so much sweeter when you get it. When you know someone raged at something you did to get back at them, you may or may not know it, but you took control of them by manipulating their feelings. Humans get a high from gaining control, and that high dissipates over time as the control remains the same. It's why when you are suddenly "Overpowered" in any type of video game, it gets more and more boring over time. For instance, look at built-in-cheats for certain singleplayer games. You have all this control over how enemies die, and what they can do to you. It gets boring after a while, but then the second you find a new way to change that... It happens all over again. (My favorite was in HL2 when I figured out the console command to change how many pellets per shotgun shell... 600 pellets on a mass of Combine = I'm in ecstasy.)

Don't worry about feeling "evil" (if that sort of thing disturbs you.) We all get that intoxicating feeling when we get something we want, or better yet, what someone else doesn't want you to have. It's entirely natural to feel good about making someone else rage when you have no reason to feel sorry about making them angry.

That's why trolls exist. They get personal satisfaction out of making others rage, and almost no other benefit. Although, there are sometimes the well-meaning trolls, that rather than attempting to make you rage, attempt to deceive you in a way that you just laugh when you find out you've been duped. It is the same way with comedians, (most of them, anyway.) they enjoy making people laugh. They get the same satisfaction out of making someone laugh, as a maliciously-intending individual does when he makes people angry.

On a slightly off-topic note, my post turned out much longer than I originally intended...