How do you maintain a decent KDR as an LA??

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by MasterCheef, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Kiekeboe

I have to 2 words to make you maintain KDR : *AIR* *TANKS*
  2. Vashyo

You're gonna die a lot of if you go headon against heavy assaults and you're at equal footing with the other classes pretty much.

LA all about going to places people least expect to be shot from, ontop of buildings in biolabs and such
  3. Phatts

It's not easy and alot of times I go on 2-3 deaths before getting a few kills, but if you get good at it I find it to be very rewarding. You just have to be sneaky like everyone else has been saying. I have a few loadouts for special situations (Long range/Medium-Close range/Close range).

I also do alot of defending. I find assaulting to be very hard as light assault especially in the field with all of the vehicles and stuff. I try to find bases under attack and make my way there for defense. If I am on offense I just try to be sneaky and shoot from high places.

Edit: FYI my K/D is not amazing I'm at about a 1.3 right now.
  4. Maruun

Do it like myself, i dont care about KDR. Why? Because its pointless in this game it takes the fun out of the game if you care about this pointless stat.
  5. Cyridius

KDR is for ****. PTFO.
  6. Shelk

First of all, KDR is useless. It doesn't gage how well you play the actual game, such as capping etc, but if that's your play style then go for it. I'm sitting at a modest 1.7ish, but that heavily depends on the zone and area we are trying to cap. There will be time where I'll just charge the sundies from above on suicide runs trying to kill it with a few others to prevent an advance. Othertimes where you can camp up in the rafters and have to suicide from lack of ammo.

Posts are somewhat vague, sure, but the class is. Each class is situation, LA is no different. Unless you're able to get to a vantage point, switch to another class. If you don't know how to play other classes, switch to the engy. Just drop ammo, repair maxes etc and you could easily pull off a good ammount of certs with no deaths, helping your team, playing the class, and contributing instead of suicide running (while gaining on your KDR).

In situations where LA is viable, stick to your JJ's. Get into nooks/crannies. Find a spot where standing you can see, crouching you can't. If you hit someone and don't kill them, relocate. If you kill someone and see a guy next to him watch, crouch and wait 10 seconds while they scan the area. They will assume a sniper if they don't see you. Patience is key. Don't count out your pistol either. If you're flanked behind people, use it when your out of your main ammo but go for people with low HP or that you see being healed. If someone is being healed, they will typically stand still and be low life, perfect for a pistol shot. Hiding in tree's is a great starting point for certain places similar to cross road style base layouts. If you're able to get onto a "cleared" platform and on top of the tower over-looking enemies from behind, it's the kind of place a LA will accell.

All in all, you'll get better. Find a sight you like, get C4 and don't be afraid to suicide C4 runs. C4 stays in place through death, and you can blow it on your next life. In example: Biodomes, when people zerg in they usually pack into the east/west corners of the north/south platforms. Run out, JJ up and toss it down. Death or not, you blow that and get 4+ kills. There is your 4:1 KDR. Just don't force the LA, as someone mentioned if you don't feel yourself playing like a LA, switch classes for a lil. Personally, I love the explosive style of LA. I typically use C4 more than anything, noob tube is great for groups and doorways(underbarrell grenades) and hopefully will be fixed soon (reloading issue's, drunk shooting, and damage consistency).
    Shelk
  7. Superman_X

This is the most correct statment made here. If you want to increase your KDR, then you should ignore things like taking territory and such. You need to avoid being out front (where the enemy will shoot at you), and use your mobility to give you the position to kill without being killed. Someone needs to charge the enemy, and to take the objective... but not you. Stay out of the direct assault path, flank it, and pick off those trying to push forward. Just watch out for others (mostly light assault and snipers) doing the same, as they will be looking to pick off easier targets (such as yourself).
  8. NaKeD

I play only LA and sometimes MAX for AA but I run with a 1.5 / 2 KDR, I keep track of it at the end of the play time just to see the score. Btw like everyone said : Flank, take advantage of the better positioning end tear them apart in close-to-medium range with LC2 Lynx with Soft-point and advanced laser point.
    That's my playstyle.. ah! Don't forget your C4. Love to drop these ontop of enemy tanks and destoying them :)e
  9. Wildclaw

First, grenades and C4 are your friend.
    Second, have two zergs near you.
    Third, make sure the enemy doesn't see you before you ambush them.
    And most important, kill enemies before they even have a chance of returning fire.

[IMG]
  10. Mrasap

scavenge ammo boxes from enemy engineers to rejuvenate your killstreak. Use C4 for the added bang-effect.
  11. democratic_anarchist

I abuse the crap out of the injection heal kit, and use fully maxed out jets to run away when necessary. i also do my best to stay close to my outfit for ammunition.

getting a good KDR should never be your objective though! capturing and holding objectives should be, and i believe that following this first will actually lead to a better KDR w/ practice.
  12. ThePackage

Always always always get above your enemies. No one in this game tends to look up or down for that matter. Positioning is key in maintaining an advantage over your opponent. Also, NEVER jet pack at someone from 25m firing thinking you're going to kill them. Your CoF is horrible when flying with anything other than a shotty. Only use the jet pack offensively when C4ing, everything else should be defensively
  13. Spectre9000

I used to have a sub 1.0 KDR, but then I upgraded my weapons and now my KDR is constantly climbing. It's practice and learning the game yes, but you also need to invest into your weapons and class skills to be on a level playing field with other players.
  14. Skadi

KDR?
    Realy...
  15. wrenched

pick your fights

learn to climb trees like a ninja

Yesterday hit 50 for 3 in a biodome defending, then 67 for 5 at the watchtower using the trees (this is with 3nades, 2c4, trac5-s with grenade launcher/2x reflex/supressor)

and seriously aim for the head, it gives you more xp and they drop so fast, even heavies. I avoid max's as c4 is expensive and better to use on a sunderer (double c4 and 2 grenades from the launcher destroys a sunderer)
  16. Rune Scorpio

This. I have a 2.5 k/d and I use medic/LA/engie. I try not to use vehicles anymore since they don't give me free certs at 1000 kills.
    The trick with LA is like people are saying. Get a good position and begin killing people then finding cover while you reload. Practice shooting while jetpacking. People have a hard time hitting a guy jetpacking past them at an angle. Perfect for those times you need to reload and let them empty their mag.
  17. Whargoul

I don't even worry about KDR anymore. Half of my deaths are my own team killing me for no reason other than they are just idiots.
  18. Douchewafer

Jump, flank, kill, run, repeat. You are a flying ninja with explosives.
  19. Vorpal

Having C4 helps. You can engage targets (unaware MAX, vehicles) that you couldn't otherwise.

I definitely do way way better on my VS LA than my TR LA. Solstice is one of the best guns in the game, much better than the trac-5.

I die a LOT to friendly fire when I try to be sneaky and get behind the enemy. Seems like every time I go up to an enemy tank unnoticed to put C4 on it some mosquito decides to rock pod him and blows me up with my own C4.
  20. jak

Depends on the fight. I have this thing where I hate giving up territory to 20ish enemies, so I'll harass them solo to the point of a bad KDR if they start camping me. This is kind of a dumb way to play LA since you're basically taking on 2+ enemies head to head before you can get away from their camping positions, but it's fun for me to kill lots of them in a short amount of time.

If I play LA well (meaning sticking to ambush style), 4+ KDR is pretty easy to get. The enemies usually come in a predictable path from their spawn point, so figure that path out, pick off the stragglers, then hit and run the rest. Avoid head to head as much as possible and don't ever get too focused on one direction of attack.