Everyone see me cloaked, what's the point?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Kiro, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Kiro

I've played PS2 for 10 days with graphics on minimum, so I couldn't see anyone cloaked, and of course I thought that nobody could see me when I was cloaked! If the class role is to INFILTRATE to hack terminals and kill people in their back, then it makes sense to be completly invisible... but most people were able to spot me, I thought maybe they can see me when I'm very close or they have infrared vision...

But then I set graphics quality to medium and I realised I could see all the cloaked infiltrators all the time, even 50 meters away.

So what's the point of cloaking? Did I just wait all my certs to reach the max level of that "invisible" armor thing?

How do you use cloaking in an effective way?
  2. Rigsta

Think of it as camouflage and use it accordingly. Rather than making you invisible, it makes your enemies take longer to see you and track you than they would without it, in addition to removing you from the minimap and un-spotting you. It's also really effective in the dark.

It's really useful for sniping. Use it when changing positions (moving between cover) and when lining up a shot, de-cloaking just as you hold breath and fire. Don't rely on it heavily in CQ.
    • Up x 5
  3. Blackhand

Pretty much what Rigsta said. Think of it as a better camo not invisibility. There are different levels of its effectiveness however that are based on whether you are standing or crouched, moving or stationary. In a crouched stationary position you are almost completely invisible.

The biggest tip i can give is, to think about your movement and surroundings. Convince yourself that you dont even have cloak, and use cover and be aware of your surroundings as if you were completely visible.
  4. KukKung

also believe there are 3 phases of cloaks from reading other forums, running make you more visable when cloaked, standing still makes you a little less visable. and then theres crouching which almost make you completely invisable.

yes the cloak has its downfall and is noticable in the day light from the shimmer, but there have been plenty of times where ive sat cloaked for a half hour laying out head shots without being detected, as well as running from someone who has spotted me so it does come in handy, i guess id rather have it and be slightly broken then not have it all
  5. Streetrip

Hah, no you shouldn't be completely invisible. That'd make things too easy wouldn't it?
    Use the environment to your advantage everywhere you go. Use cover to approach and then use cloak to move in between cover. Don't approach from the front. The closer you are to your enemy, the more cautious you should be as well. Move slower. Stay still and let people run past you. DO NOT de-cloak next to someone because that sound is LOUD. Just stay out of sight and you'll be fine.
  6. m44v

and even with all those points the cloak is still garbage.
    • Up x 1
  7. OldMaster80

Cloaking is very helpful. Too bad when devs decided Infiltrators had to turn into snipers (in PS1 they were not) they had to change the cloaking mechanics and add a timer to the skill. So we need to un-cloak every 10 seconds and the effect of our cert points is to decrease the cooldown. Current setup is fine and balanced for full-time snipers, but it's definitely less useful for intiltration purposes. We have to uncloak too often, no surprise LA can do the job better than us in some bases: you're less visible on the top of a roof, than using a cloaking device that runs ot of batteries every 10 seconds.
    • Up x 1
  8. M3m3nt0M0ri

Obviously you are using it wrong :p

If you took some time to observe other infiltrators on the battlefield you would very quickly learn where it works and where it does not work. Even though you are cloaked, you still need to use BASIC battlefield movement principles (which I take it you do not know) ie.:

1) Always move with lines in the landscape NOT across (following a crevice, roadside or other "natural" lines)

2) When moving always move in the lowest possible areas to avoid being spotted (running on hilltops is pretty friggin stupid)

3) Shadow, bushes, trees, boulders and the like are your friends - regardless of camouflage - hug them often.

4) When you cloak wears off STOP, crouch and wait until it is full again before moving, even out in the open fields you are MUCH less likely to be detected by sitting still and not moving. Just notice how easy it is for yourself to spot running enemies.

5) When positioning for camping, ALWAYS be aware of the background. If there is only blue sky behind you, you will create a splendid silhouette on the sky making it blatantly easy for people to spot you.

6) ALWAYS be aware of your background and surroundings.

7) You are NOT invisible when cloaked, especially when moving your profile is actually quite visible. Keep movement to a minimum and follow above movement principles.
  9. M3m3nt0M0ri

what is wrong with sniping?

It's my favorite thing :D
  10. Timeraider

Cloaking, the only stealth thats usable only when you are behind a tree or rock..

great XD
    • Up x 2
  11. St0mpy

some people see you, others simply dont, even if its only half effective ill take it
  12. OldMaster80

Nothing wrong with sniping. Imho that's actually the only good thing Infiltrators are good at.
  13. Esxraptor

Big tip

STAND STILL !

Watch vehicles and dumb grunts move past you. It's why the timer is certed and the length of your nerve are the only limitations.
    • Up x 1
  14. m44v

The cloak is very useful

Without the cloak,
    I wouldn't know if there's an infiltrator somewhere 100 meters from me.
    I wouldn't know the general direction where to shot my sensor dart for pinpoint them better.
    I would have a hard time lining up headshots, because the visibility of the cloak forces infiltrators to stay still, or I would have a hard time searching infiltrators, because the timer of the cloak forces them to be on the move.
  15. Azimaith

Cloaking is not what it was in PS1, you aren't meant to actually infiltrate bases, you're basically a sniper.

Cloak does do a couple of useful things and there are some tricks to use it effectively, though its not fantastic.
    1: Cloak takes you off the minimap immediately. They'll hear the cloak noise, but they won't see you on the minimap, which is often times more useful. It also removes anyone's "spots" against you.

2: Cloak is actually quite good at making you hard to see, but only when combined with rapid movement at close range. Effectively if you're nearby and you can get of their field of vision and keep moving, they'll have a hard time picking you back up again even if you move across their field of vision. Always endeavor to make your path, while cloaked in such movements against the skyline, which renders you essentially totally invisible.

3: Cloak is almost impossible to see against the sky, especially at long distance, use cloak when across elevated areas. Of course you wouldn't be a bad sniper and actually snipe from those positions...right?

Smart movement is more important than cloaking in infiltration, and as a tip, get some camouflage and if you can, an apex helmet. If you see enemies coming in your direction that you can't avoid, run directly past them, you're colors are hard to pick out from the rear and many will just let you run by unaware of your affiliation. Do not, of course, shoot them in the back, you're job is to get somewhere, not to score cheap kills (if you wanted that you'd be on a hill shooting people in the head.)

Don't stay still while cloaked unless you're doing it to get off the minimap or you think someone is already looking at you. Better to just be out of sight, if an enemy has eyes on you already, you're totally obvious, cloaked or not.

Also remember that cloaking sounds are factional so an NC infiltrator sounds different than a VS or TR one. Knowing these differences lets you hunt the most satisfy (and typically easiest) prey around, bad infilsnipers, which make up a large part of my daily cert diet.
  16. Jac70

I don't play Infiltrator but I do feel that they are too detectable still, even after the recent buff to the cloak sound.

They need to either

Make the Infiltrator less visible, not invisible but less so than now.....

or

Reduce the cloak sound to make it inaudible at over 10m and almost subliminal when close.

I always easily detect Infiltrators in their current state.
  17. Trysaeder

I've seen a guy just cloak into the middle of 7+ enemies and uncloak to drop a claymore down. This happened repeatedly, at least 5 times. He killed me the first time, but I was the ONLY one to see and kill him the next 4 times. He probably got 15-20 kills in those 5 tries. I could only kill him before or after he planted, since I was already high on grief.
  18. alecholman

Honestly, as someone who kills a lot of Infiltrators, I think it would be more fair to them for them to be fully invisible for however long their special duration lasts. It really seems like a quick escape from a sticky situation, but it's no use if they're still visable and they can't even shoot.

Sure, some people don't pay attention, but as I play with the highest graphics, they are plain as day to me; also visable when trying to "blend in" and be "camouflage". Just IMHO.
  19. Veri

Cloak at close quarters as a tool to easily hunt someone down is pointless.
    I see them clear as day and only annoys me.

In a room situation it very different.
    Sneak up and shoot near a door, fail, or somehow the bullet does not kill them, run out the door and cloak, the chance of them finding you, unless they use ESP cheat are slim.
  20. Blackhand

Honestly I feel the next logical step in boosting cloaks effectiveness is simply giving us the ability to fire while cloaked. Theres no reason why my chatacter cant swing a knife or pull a trigger when his cloak is active. Hell and if we're so easy to spot while cloak as so many people keep saying it shouldnt even deactivate completely when we fire. We can still be spotted fairly easily while moving in cqc are still limited to a charge timer.

I dont want full invisibility. Its a cloak suit based on technology, not some super power out of a comic book, but for crying out loud, let me attack while its active.