Low FPS on all graphical settings... AMD proccessor AMD FX-6100 HD 7770

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by OverWatch, Dec 10, 2012.

1. OverWatch

I played Planetside 2 in the beta and had no issues with FPS on my older computer. On Black Friday I decided to buy a new computer to allow me to play PS2 at higher settings. I found to my surprise that my new computer is worse at playing PS2 then my old machine. I am able to get 30 frames at most but normally have an fps of 15 or lower when in fights. Changing graphical settings from high to low have failed to improve my frames in the slightest. I am not sure if this is the place to try to get some assistance on this issue but I have my system specs below. Any help or assistance would be appreciated greatly. In some bigger fights this game is almost unplayable.

I have already unparked my cpus. Is this a known issue for computers with my hardware?

Processor: AMD FX-6100 3.3GHz
    Memory: 16 GB
    Video Memory: 1 GB
    Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 7770 1GB
    Sound Card: Realtek ALC88Realtek ALC887
  2. Alexlightning7

What was your old computer?
    Chances are that even some old C2Qs are better then modern amd processors.
    SOE pretty much ignored optimising amd processors.
  3. OverWatch

Thanks for your response.

My old computer's specs are as follows.

Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T(2.8GHz)
    Memory: 4 GB
    Video Memory: 1 GB
    Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5750
    Sound Card: Integrated.
  4. CamboRambo

My cousin is having the same issue as you right now. Every other games runs perfectly smooth. The odd thing is that the same processor used on another CPU with an older mobo works perfectly fine with great FPS. We just can't figure it out anymore we've tried everything. Switching ram, re-seating CPU, swapping different graphic cards with the latest drivers, and even updated the mobo bios. What's the problem?

Processor: AMD X4 955 Black Edition
    Memory: 8 GB
    Video memory: 5 GB
    Video card: Nvidia Quardro 5000 (tested on gtx 295 as well)
    Sound Card: Sound Blaster Fatality
  5. TeknoBug

LOL yes for some funny reason my Phenom II X6 1090T clocked at 3.6GHz plays PS2 a tad smoother than the FX 8320 clocked at 4.2GHz both using a GTX560Ti card, however it smoothes out on the FX when I disable a few cores. PS2 doesn't seem to like CPU's with too many cores. I also have a X4 955BE and PS2 plays fairly well on it. I'm using my spare system I took along with me while I'm not at home and using a 5770 card, pulled the X4 955 for the X6 1090T.

Oh and a system I built with an FX 4300 for someone not long ago, that is a beastly CPU and it did some things faster than both my X6 and 8320- I may get that and throw it in my main system when I get back home.

that may change in January when SOE releases some optimizations for the game, hopefully the exe will spread across more cores.
  6. Toxicmix1

There is not much you guys can do. This game is extremely cpu heavy, BUT, for some reason the game don´t know what to do with modern day hardware. It simply don´t use it. Is weird.

You guys can try to unpark your cpu cores, overclock, closing processes or services, but beyond this, there is not much we can do.
    I hear everyone is talking about some "magic" patch coming in January that is supose to fix this, and give the game the proper multithreading that it needs, but to be honest, i don´t know if it will be "magic" to be honest.

The only thing we can do is wait and hope for the best.
  7. PvtHudson

Why on earth did you downgrade from Thuban to Bulldozer? Bulldozer has lower IPC than Thuban.

The game is CPU bound in the sense of IPC not cores and Intel has had that crown since the original Nehalem processors came out. The Phenom II series was the last AMD processors that were great, but are showing their age now with CPU bound games.

The game isn't optimized very well, that is true. I have an i7 3930k and 2 6970s in Crossfire. I play at 2560 x 1440 resolution maxed out, and when there's a lot of units on screen the framerate dips to 30 and at times below that. 12.11 drivers which claimed to have improved scaling were awful and I went back to 12.8 with my own custom Crossfire profile.

Still, even when they do optimize it, you can't really hope for much. Look at benchmarks of other CPU bound games like Civilization 5, Starcraft 2, Witcher 2, etc. Having a fast processor in the sense of performance meaning a lot of Instructions Per Cycle is becoming more and more important nowadays.
  8. OverWatch

I'm not too savvy with computer hardware. I'm a Junior DBA, so I mainly deal with server software vs hardware. The computer I bought came with the AMD FX-6100 processor. Due to the increase in ghz and processing power I thought that I was upgrading my cpu performance. Should I get another processor? Does anyone have any suggestions?

I've already tried disabling shadows, and changing the render distance from -1 to 1000. These didn't have any real effect. I did try the ultra texture fix which gave me another 5-10 fps. So that improved the situation a bit. Still are there any other options I have available to try to increase my fps without buying a new processor? I understand that SOE has a lot of optimizing to do and my situation will likely be remedied in the near future but I would really like get more mileage out of this game. Thanks for all the help and suggestions so far.
  9. MittRackRObama

Crossfire is bogus for PS2 and there likely will never be properly optimized drivers for it. Try buying a 7870 for like $200 and see your FPS soar at least by 10 in big battles. 3990k is a BEAST!
  10. MittRackRObama

Well, if possible unpark your cores (may not work for AMD processors), and if you have the AM3+ socket Motherboard (which I think you do) you can get an AWESOME 8350 that destroys everything in single and multi threaded tasks and comes super close in many benchmarks to beating the i53570k and the i7 3990k. In many benchmarks especially streaming with xsplit the 8350 is better than the previous 2 mentioned. Don't take it from me.