*Shield Testing Complete!* - NMG/Adrenaline/Resist? Who is the winner?

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Megawatt, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Wildclaw

Ah, that reasoning explains why it was 1631 and not 1636 in the spreadsheet (I assumed that was a typo as 625/0.55+500=1636). Looks like it was some bad math from the OP (and you).

1000+0.45*1000=1450 is not the correct way to calculate effective hp.

Remember, the formula is RawDamage * (1-Resistance) = DamageTaken, which gives that RawDamage=DamageTaken/(1-Resistance). That second formula gives how much raw damage we have to take to receive a certain amount of damage. As we are interested in how much raw damage we can take before we lose our 1000 hp of base health, the formula becomes RawDamage=1000/(1-Resistance). We also insert our resistance value and get RawDamage=1000/(1-0.45). And that raw damage we calculate is generally called effective health - the amount of raw damage you can take before your hp pool is used up.

For NA5 you of course replace 1000 with 1125.I hope that explanation helped someone at least.
    • Up x 1
  2. Leron

yeah yeah, i got it, read my previous post

i assumed the 45% was an increase of the overall hp instead of considering it damage mitigation
  3. Pyros

Well it's worth noting, like it says in the original doc, that while RS provides noticeably more EHP, it is only useful if you activate it before you take dmg, as the more dmg you take without it, the less it effectively gives, while the NMG type shields can be activated at any moment and will provide the same EHP increase(unless you die instantly, obviously). Still the much lower recharge time tilt the balance toward RS for me.
  4. Cross

Other things to consider: The resist shield also does not slow down your movement speed as much as the NMGs. There is no activation cost on turning on the resist shield as compared to the NMGs either.
  5. TheBloodEagle

Starting to think Adrenaline might work for my playstyle more. I was saving up for Resist shield upgrades.

edit: If the resist doesn't slow you done then it's definitely more worth it since being slow is the best way to die ; the shield won't take that many shots before it's compromised.
  6. Megawatt

You are absolutely correct in your formula. I'm sorry to the community for my mistake in calculating Effective Health from Resist Shield. The correct factor is 1/(1-Mitigation), as Leron stated. The mitigation amount is correct. I have updated the spreadsheet, and provided a fourth tab that compares Effective Health levels of each shield at different levels of Current Health.
    • Up x 1
  7. Megawatt

As Leron said, I suppose we shouldn't talk weapons in this topic, but to answer your question I didn't go by weapon ID. I went by ammo count, reload speed, fire rate, and damage, looking at the numbers and the values in game. I then verified that all my line items coincided with Thorbinators spreadsheet of just infantry weapons.
    • Up x 2
  8. Megawatt

Yeah that's huge to note. Activation cost on NMG is 1 indicator, i.e. 50 Effective Health. Movement speed penalty between the three shields appears to be the same walking and running (timed).
  9. Cross

Heh, maybe you're right. I raced a friend and we each had different shields. Probably not as thorough as actually timing it. =D
  10. skull4squadron

sorry for the dumb question but turning on your resist shield is the same key f as turning on NMG?
  11. Armgarion

Sniper rifles seem to bypass resist shield, might be a bug as the absorption shields work fine. Tested it against the new TR sniper rifle the RAMS 50M
  12. Megawatt

Yeah, it's "F" for ability. Just make sure to select the shield you want to use at the loadout screen in the ability slot!
  13. Megawatt

Super! Another reason for the NC's Snipers to snipe, while the VS's and TR's Infiltrators infiltrate. Can't wait!
  14. skull4squadron

thanx :)
  15. Penthus

Is the certs for the Resist Shield bugged? It clearly says duration however raising it does not increase the duration of the shield whatsoever. I have level 3 at the moment and it is the same 6 seconds it has been since level 1.
    Has anyone else noticed this?
  16. Megawatt

I don't have more than the level 1, but I know others do not have that problem. Try un-equipping and re-equipping it in the ability slot?
  17. MuNrOe

I use the NMG on my heavy as my main char uses the jackhammer with 10 shots. Often find myself doing hit and run/cover while reloading so this suits my playstyle best. While in cover reloading my shield is re-generating faster.

If you had a more constant fire power weapon like the MCG or Lasher or standard rifle I would assume the resist shield or adrenalin shield would work perfect as it would allow you to take more damage in the open and hence put more firepower down field assuming your getting kills with the adrenalin shield.

The other shield where you were given the extra whatever% health increase would work well for 1 v 1 engagements and keep you ontop of the opponent. This would probably also help anyone who had a pocket medic constantly healing them although the slight advantage would be lost instantly against multiple opponents firing on you and not be able to mitigate the damage as well as the other shields.

Flak great for vech engagements and mitigating grenade damage.

In the end I guess it all comes down to your preference. Do you hit and run / rambo / 1v1 duel with your heavy and pocket medic or take out vech. Each fills a role and works in well depending on your play style and weapon you intend to use. They all act as sidegrades which is good because each has it own role or purpose where it will advantage the user.
  18. Lukor

Sorry for the dumb questions, but why is the Adrenaline 5 effective regen listed as 45 in the spreadsheet? (Same as NMG5)
    Also, if i kill something with Adrenaline5 up it will recharge 25% of the bar, am i reading that correct? So if you go on a huge killstreak you could theoretically refill this instantly and have a much bigger protection than NMG5?
    Thanks.
  19. Armgarion

Knives also bypass resist shield :/
  20. Leron

Too many things seem to bypass the resist shield xD