Vanu LMGs (save certs?)

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by NoxiousCuz, Dec 6, 2012.

1. NoxiousCuz

So i currently only have the orion but i want to get the flare. Cant find any station cards so i have to grind it the long way (for flare etc)
    Basically is it worth it or should i just stick with orion?
  2. Lavalampe

I think the Flare is a good LMG. I also save my certs atm for this gun.
    Let's compare the stats from this page (but i can't proove that they're correct)

Orion
    143 dmg before drop off
    750 rpm
    50 rounds

Flare
    167 dmg before drop off
    571 rpm
    75 rounds

So the Orion is ~32% faster as the Flare, but the Flare deals ~17% more dmg per bullet. So the time to kill is a little bit slower.
    On the other side, the Flare has access for both ammo types. Another good thing is, that the Flare has a bigger magazin size of 75 rounds instead of 50 rounds and you can cert for extended magazins so it will double the bullets to 150. This is really cool.
    The Flare also has a minimal higher vertical recoil as the Orion (0,4 vs 0,45)

As I said the Orion can't equip different types of ammo but it's your choise if you need them or not.
    I normaly play LMG's with the normal Ammo cause i don't want the downsides. Sometimes Soft Point Ammo could be nice in close quarter battles.

Lets compare the Ammo types:

I copy this from this thread where i already posted this :)

"Soft Point Ammunition - SPA decreases bullet velocity by an unknown value, as well as extending the initial damage dropoff range for the weapon to 15m instead of 10m and reducing minimum damage by 1 tier
    (167 → 143, 143 → 125, 125 → 112, 112 → 100, 100 → 91)."

"High Velocity Ammunition - HVA increases bullet velocity by an unknown value as well as increasing vertical recoil by 6%-12% and extends the range a weapon reaches it's minimum damage value at by 10m."

-------------------------------------------------

So HVA is like the Heavy Barrel in BF3. It gives you a slower dmg reduction at range and a shorter bullet travel time for the price of more recoil and SPA gives you 5m more before the dmg dropoff starts for the price of a lower minimum damage.

Sorry for the long post, but i wanted to show you the ups and downs.
    I hope it will help you.

slaintè
    Lava
    • Up x 3
  3. Gheeta

Orion is great LMG and i personally would stick with it. Only downside for the Orion is the relatively small magazine but that is negated by the other good qualities such as accuracy and good hipfire.
  4. NoxiousCuz

thanks for the replies, what ive gathered is that the flare needs/has more attachments and does more damage but the orion shoots faster.
    Im guessing if i have a steady hand i should go with the flare
  5. Lavalampe

If you get the time to aim and you can land the first shots, the Flare will perform very well but stay away from those suprising close quarter battles. The slow rate of fire really hurts in those moments.
  6. NoxiousCuz

I'm a pretty bad aimer but i like high dps weapons.. what should i save for?
  7. Lavalampe

I would say the SVA-88. It has nearly the same stats as the Orion (only 698rpm instead of 750rpm) but you will get also a 75 round magazin. Unfortunatley no extended magazins... You can also buy another ammo type, but i dunno which one at the moment.
    But this thing is more expensive.

You can also trial the Flare and test how you perform with it without spending certs. Just click at the station cash button and at the bottom of the new window you will see a button "trial weapon". Now you can use it for 20 or 30 minutes. After trialing the trial goes into cooldown for 30 days for this gun. So you can test which weapon performs at best for you. Just trial and jump into a big fight.
  8. Whargoul

I love my Flare! I use it for long and mid range . I have both ammo types and use a 2x scope, extended mag, and compensator. I have a grip too but the extended mag just seems more useful most of the time. I really only have a tough time taking someone down when we are in face to face CQB because the hipfire is pretty meh. The gun has some good vertical kick but I just drag my mouse down to compensate.
  9. Erendil

The SVA88 can get HV ammo.

OP, another vote for the SVA88 here. The slightly lower RoF compared to the Orion has barely any noticeable effect on its deadliness up close, but the 75-round mag makes up for it. It also shares the Orion's faster footspeed during ADS compred to the other LMGs, and you can get a compensator, HV ammo, and 6x scope for long range work too.

I agree that trialing the Flare is the way to go. It may have a lower recoil over time than the Orion, but it's recoil per shot is significantly higher, making it feel like a different weapon than the other VS LMGs IMO. It feels more like an NC SAW to me. I personally don't like it and usually go with an Eidolon for long range work and the SVA88 for everything else. It seems to work out well for me. :cool:

That said there are people here who love the Flare so you might like its unique handling. the only way to know for sure is to trial it tho.
  10. eXtracT

Orion is currently the best starting LMG, it has the fastest TTK (time-to-kill). Every good VS HA is using either the Orion or the Pulsar LSW for the increased ammo capacity.
  11. Erendil

Just a quick side note: The SVA88 and LSW are basically the same weapon now. They have the same damage output and almost identical COF/ADS characteristics. The only difference I can find is that the LSW's recoil pulls slightly to the right whereas the SVA88's is straight up and down and is maybe a touch greater vertically (which can be corrected w/ practice). The SVA88 also has a significantly faster footspeed during ADS and more attachments available to it.
  12. Eugenitor

Nope. I rock an SVA-88, a foregrip (don't get laser sight, Vanu- you're just telling the enemy where you are, especially if you're around a corner), HV ammo, the NV sight, and a compensator. I win 1v1s 9 times out of 10, and I've won 2v1s and 3v1s handily.

Fire in bursts, Vanu HAs. Sometimes even one or two shots at a time at long range. If you hold that button down against anything but a lot of enemies or a close-in fight, you'll just waste ammo.
  13. voody

If it is worth it for you specifically probably depends on how far you are with your char and what else you could get for the same amount of certs. 250 for the Flare, 100 for the foregrip and/or 100 for the extended mag, 100 for the desired ammo type (if you want one) and 1 or 2 scopes. Depending on how fast you can rack up those certs that might be a fair amount of "work" and you could, for example, buy the nanoweave armor lvl 4 and the first C4 charge for the same amount and still have some change. If you don't have those yet that is.

The Orion is very very good for a starting weapon and given the fact that there is no particular gun everyone prefers over all the others leads me to believe that there are only minor and eventually negligible differences between them. I am pretty sure all the Vanu LMGs will, on average, kill equally well if used at the same level of competence.
  14. Erendil

You know you can turn off the beam on the laser sight and still benefit from it, right? :D

Not sure what the default keymap is for it tho. Mine's currently set to L.
  15. NoxiousCuz

So i realised most of my battles are close - medium range, which lmg would be best for this scenario.
    or is every lmg just about the way i can aim and use it?
  16. SpaceWindu

I chose to save my certs and stick with the Orion and I don't really feel disappointed. It has accurate hipfire but I'd only use that for point blank emergency situations. You can kill around 3 people per clip in ideal circumstances, but in a spammy firefight you're probably looking at two. Just reload regularly as you do it slower when your clip is totally dry. I haven't been caught with my pants down too much - the need to reload more often actually helps me regulate the recharge on both my shields. During high pressure breaching situations I suspect the low ttk is more useful than a massive clip.

Put a forward grip on it and if you don't like the ironsights, slap a 1x reflex on. It 'opens' the guns sights which is important for cqc. Laser sights might seem more intuitive for cqc, but the forward grip turns the weapon into a focused death laser which makes hitting small targets at midrange easier. Aim at the neck and let the slight vertical recoil drift your muzzle up into his face.

The clipsize is really my only gripe with the Orion, trial the flare if you like, I mean to each their own. But if you're to use vehicles and want to upgrade your shield capacitor / nanomesh / get medkits I think those are probably more direct upgrades for now
  17. Noollab

I would not recommend the Flare for Close Quarter Combat -- I love my Flare, and it's what roll with most of the time, but as has been mentioned already, its hipfire accuracy leaves something to be desired.
    If you choose to go with the Flare, I recommend getting a Shotgun for CQC to compensate -- I personally picked up the Pandora with extended mags on the side.
  18. NoxiousCuz

If I ADS on the flare does it compensate?
  19. Cheerilee

I got the flare and i love it. I usully fight only in close or medium range scenarios.
    The thing is, bigger clip, higher dmg and slower rof means more kills per clip.
    I usually try to suprise my enemie (suicide runs with running right into them, or trying to get behind them).
    So i really need this, because killing 2 enemies in a room with 5 isn't enough. And yes, it is possible
    to kill 5 enemies with one clip.
    You just need to use your scope. Hipfire suxx hard with the flare and an compensator.
    But try the weapon, iam sure you will be happy with it! But if you are more like "i like to take cover a lot and only peek out to get some kills" then this weapon is not what you seek. And don't forget to burst. Don't use the burstfunction, just burst how you can handle it.
    • Up x 1
  20. NoxiousCuz

i definitely play like this, only 21 certs away. Cheers for the replies guy i would go for the SVA-88 but i cant grind for those 500 certs :(