The definitive guide to TR LMGs

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Xiphos, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Xiphos

I made this guide based on PS2 weapon data sheet since the in-game information on weapons is incomplete and inaccurate. All information here is based on hard numbers extracted from game files and should be accurate for the release version of the game. Since the TR LMGs have similar stats for the most part, I have highlighted the important areas where they differ from each other. I also only list the non-standard attachment options. Note that the exact benefit of the Compensator, Soft Point Ammo and High Velocity Ammo are not known at the moment.

T9 CARV
    The default TR LMG and a solid weapon. It does high damage per second. Its clip size is large but it reloads slowly. In all other aspects it is average.

Special attachments: Flash Suppressor.
    DPS: 1787
    Clip size: 100
    Bullet speed: 600
    Cost: free

T9 CARV-S
    Like the CARV but with much better attachment options at the cost of slightly increased vertical recoil ) and lower rate of fire. In my opinion the attachment options more than make up for the drawbacks over the regular CARV.

Special attachments: Soft Point Ammo, High Velocity Ammo, Flash Suppressor, Compensator, 6x scope, 2x reflex sight, Extended Magazine.
    DPS: 1663
    Bullet speed: 620
    Cost: 1000 certs

MSW-R
    This one is for close quarters combat. It does high damage per second, hip shots while moving or standing are more accurate, and aimed shots while moving are slightly more accurate as well. It has the second lowest vertical recoil and uneven horizontal recoil that will move your crosshair to the right.

Attachments: Soft Point Ammo, Flash Suppressor
    DPS: 1787
    Clip size: 50
    Bullet speed: 580
    Cost: 100 certs

T16
    The T16 has the lowest vertical recoil which makes it easier to stay accurate during prolonged bursts. It also has a large clip like the CARV and CARV-s, but reloads noticably faster. As the description suggests, it's good for providing suppression fire to your squad from afar.

Attachments: High Velocity Ammo, Flash Suppressor, Extended Magazine.
    DPS: 1537
    Bullet speed: 645
    Cost: 250 certs

TMG-50
    As long as you're not moving, the TMG-50 gives you significantly more accurate aimed shots compared to the other LMGs. It is no more accurate than the other LMGs when firing from the hip though. The damage per shot is slightly higher, the rate of fire is lower and it is tied with the CARV-S for the highest vertical recoil. This weapon is clearly designed for eliminating targets at long range with short bursts.

Attachments: High Velocity Ammo, Compensator, 6x scope, 2x reflex sight
    DPS: 1589
    Clip size: 75
    Bullet speed: 615
    Cost: 500 certs

Found this guide helpful? Donations of station cash game cards are always appreciated.
    • Up x 6
  2. Jakko

Thank you for taking the time to put this together. I've been using the standard T9 CARV for general purpose and have been very happy with it, I think the MSW-R will be my next unlock for CQB duty.
  3. Perls

If I recall, the MSW-R gets laser sight AND advanced laser sight. So in the end, it should outperform any of the weapons firing from the hip.
  4. StrangerDanger

Is the laser point for graphical aid, like scopes, or does it actually reduce spread and increase hip fire accuracy?

If so the MSW-R with advanced laser and soft point ammo might be one hell of a gun to use while suicide dashing into rooms and spraying people.
  5. Xiphos

It only gets a regular laser sight but still outperforms the other TR LMGs when firing from the hip due to better base stats.

It's not a graphical aid, it increases accuracy for hip shots (meaning bullets will spread less from the center of the cross hair).

Rumor is that Soft Point Ammo reduces damage at close range.
  6. Kyutaru

No it doesn't, the MSW-R does get the Advanced Laser Sight. It further reduces the cone spread.

You're missing a lot of the unique attachments weapons get, they are NOT all standard. For example, the CARV-S is the only LMG for TR to have the Advanced Forward Grip. The basic CARV isn't even a contender because it lacks the grips, lacks special ammo, lacks the firing modes, and lacks other upgrades too.

The official PlanetSide 2 wiki shows what weapon attachments go with what LMGs.

http://planetside.wikia.com/wiki/Light_Machine_Guns
  7. Xiphos

The wiki is outdated. The CARV-S cannot use the Advanced Foregrip.
  8. Kyutaru

The game is not outdated. I own the MSW-R and it has all the attachments the wiki states. The Advanced Laser Sight included.
  9. Xiphos

I don't know about your game, but in mine (which I have open right now), the MSW-R does not have an Advanced Laser Sight, nor does the CARV-S have an Advanced Foregrip.
  10. wtfhax

OP as hell, no need for attachments or skill, just spray in the direction of the enemy
    /end of thread
  11. GTGD

According to the stats the CARV and MSW-R are the best LMGs in TTK, however I think the upgrade potential of the CARV-S makes it the easy winner even though it makes a small sacrifice of ROF.
  12. Kyutaru

A picture is worth a thousand words, but in this case it only needs three.

YES - IT - DOES.

[IMG]
  13. Xiphos

It doesn't show in my certifications list, although I don't own a MWS-R. Does the Advanced Laser only become visible after purchasing a regular laser sight?

I own a CARV-S though and contrary to what you're saying, it doesn't have an Advanced Foregrip.
  14. Kyutaru

Notice how the MSW-R has TWO BARS in the Laser Sight? The second one is called the Advanced Laser Sight. You should be able to mouse over it to see the name.

If you own the CARV-S and are not seeing the forward grip, that's another thing. The Advanced Forward Grip appears to have been moved to the T16. Why the T16 instead of the TMG-50, I don't know. Stupid decision on SOE's part.

[IMG]
  15. absolofdoom

This is a nice guide, thanks.
  16. Atromnis

I've been waiting for a thread like this. Thank you for posting it up! I have one question- for strictly CQB purposes, which is better- The Minigun or the MSW-R? I have my TMG 50 for long range engagements but whenever we bring it indoors, the gun fails me.
  17. Hyllan

MSW-R. Mini gun spin up just makes it too easy to lose a fight in CQC.
    • Up x 1
  18. Kyutaru

The minigun has a spinup time. It's virtually useless in CQB unless you have an infiltrator or mosquito with you highlighting all the enemies on your minimap, or if you run around in constant spinup mode which reduces your speed and gives away your position. It's best for ambushing and squad support. The MSW-R for CQB, hands down.
    • Up x 1
  19. Atromnis

Thanks for the replies, guys!
  20. Xiphos

T7 Mini-Chaingun
    The MCG is a unique weapon for several reasons. Before it can fire it must spin up. I estimate the spin up time to be about 0.4 seconds. You can easily keep it spinning without shooting by continuing to tap the left mouse button. The MCG also changes your crosshair to a circle that doesn't give accuracy feedback (the accuracy decreases with each shot though. It has very low vertical recoil and hip shots are more accurate. It reloads very quickly for it clip size. The MCG does not have iron sights, and can only mount an Extended Magazine, Laser Sight or Flashlight. In my opinion this weapon is situational and generally less useful than a LMG because it's only effective under 25 meters.

DPS: 1906

As pointed out earlier, the T16 can also use an Advanced Foregrip and the MWS-R can use an Advanced Laser Sight which further confirm them as accurate burst fire & CQC weapons respectively. Unfortunately I cannot edit the original post. Is there any chance that a moderator could enable indefinite editing of the OP?