Graphics Card for Physics

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Kamiman, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Kamiman

Hi All,

Had a bit of a disappointment in my rig build when I found out that with my Radeon 5870 I couldn't turn on the dynamic ragdoll physics (which I don't think is a limitation, given other games I am able to have this type of graphics)

Which graphics cards are the minimum requirements to turn on this feature?

Thanks,
    Kami

P.S. I am looking for an outfit on Woodman
  2. Kamiman

Does anyone have some feedback on hardware requirements for this feature?
  3. Cyba

I can't enable the ingame PhysX either with my new GTX670... So I think it's disabled.. I could do it in beta though..
  4. Mansen

If you had bothered to use the search tool you would have realized quickly that PhysX is currently forcibly disabled devside.
    • Up x 1
  5. kempinukas

6. Mansen

See other thread for my comments on what Tramell actually knows about his own game...

Tip: It's not nice.
  7. Noollab

Open your UserOptions.ini in the PlanetSide 2 directory, find the [Rendering] section, and add "GpuPhysics=1" on a line by itself, without the quotes.
    That should turn on the feature, if it's implemented. (The checkbox in the in-game settings at least gets checked.)
  8. TomassoNL

In the game menu you can't enable it. Atleast not 12 hours ago.

Which graphics cards are the minimum requirements to turn on this feature?

To my knowledge, physx is something that works best with Nvidia cards and not ATI.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhysX

If you had bothered to use the search tool you would have realized quickly that PhysX is currently forcibly disabled devside.

Weird thing though, if it was disabled, I wonder why I get CTD"s with a physx error message about some physx DLL( 2 different DLL's, I guess it depends on the weather which).
  9. Mansen

1. PhysX itself is not something that requires specific hardware - it runs fine as a CPU feature, but nVidia (who owns PhysX now) tries to sell it off as a feature only their graphics cards can pull off (they have PhysX chips for the purpose).

As for why you are getting PhysX related errors - the game uses CPU based PhysX for everyone regardless of whether they have nVidia or not. Things such as vehicle and debris physics is handled this way.
  10. TomassoNL

Thanks for that info Mansen.

Do you have any advice regarding running Physx in the Nvidia software based on GPU or CPU in this case?
  11. Mansen

If you mean "How do I run the PhysX on my CPU instead of my nVidia graphics card" then you are out of luck - the developers have to allow for this. It isn't as simple as making a few changes in the options files.
  12. TomassoNL

I mean, my Nvidia software allows me to choose if I want to run physx via my GPU, CPU or automatic.
    Would think that selecting CPU or GPU would force the software to use whatever I set it to. In case of automatic
    the software would decide what to use.

I will just set it to CPU as I tried GPU and still crash frequently. Although I think the real issue here is memory leaks and until
    the game is fixed, I can stand on my head, but whatever I do wont change a thing to my frequent crash fest :(
  13. JoCool

Lol @Tramell's answer. He's probably not laughing right now. Yep, he did not know that it is not in the game. In his position I'd be pretty furious when things I have worked on are not in the game.

But then, I am still a hater for the super-soaker, the poor excuse of a proper minichaingun. And for deleting / closing threads regarding that.
  14. Taskforce

So happy I went with Nvidia
  15. Kamiman

16. Mansen

I doubt he had much if anything to do with the PhysX - He's a designer, not a programmer.