Discussion of monetized combat advantages

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Pax Empyrean, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Sikab

the reason no1 complains anymore is simple. community already accepted that RIOT won't care.

I remember when LoL just came out of beta... Forums were "fun".

This time will come too in PS2. Few bans here, few suspending there. Community will learn its place just as ppl did in LoL.
  2. MistaN

You're stating this as if it was a 1 on 1 scenario, in which case YES that new player would probably lose against 2 other guys piloting a Liberator. But 2 or 3 new players with the default AA maxes will kill that same liberator or at least make it run away with some decent damage.

Also, ground AA is not even the direct counter to aircraft. Other aircraft is. The roll of ground AA is to be a deterrent...not a direct counter
    • Up x 1
  3. Ixal

When the loser gets rocked podded and isn't able to drive the ESF away with his one arm Max he knows fully well why he lost.
  4. Goomba

Please tell me how not having a specific champion in LoL is similar to not having rocket pods in your fighter.
  5. Vreki

Lets see what I bought:
    AA launcher for HA: Straight upgrade
    Shotgun : Well, its a huge upgrade for me
    Rotary and AA missiles : Straight upgrade
    Rocket pods : Haven't actually used them, but I think we can agree that they are an upgrade
    Dalto / Zephyr for lib : Upgrade
    Dual Hacksaws for MAX : Straight upgrade over single Scattercannon.

And then there is stuff like AP for MBT and HE for Lightning that might be side-grades, but are upgrades if you want to focus on a specific role.

Now lets take a look at my stats, according to PSU I have earned around 500 certs, and that is with 50% boost and 1 month subscription.
    Without spending cash, I would be at the most halfway to unlocking one of these weapons. Instead I have been using these certs on levelling skills and unlocks.

So have the cash I spent improved my chances significantly in combat? Hell yes!
  6. Sikab

if that needs explanation you were never above 1800 rating.

and pls don't respond you were... that would be even more embarrassing.

AA launcher = sidegrade, much lower dmg overall, even against Air units.
    shotgun = personal taste :)
    Rocket Pods = we can't. If you have rocket pod you are 99% weeker against enemy aircrafts. sidegrade
    Zephyr = yup, upgrade
    Max = upgrade.
  7. Otleaz

I'm going to assume you are trolling, then. The only alternative is that you are plain dumb, but you don't seem like it at all.
    Having over 1800 rating means you play enough to easily afford any new champions that come out.
  8. Goomba

If you're above 1800 you already have any champion that you'd need. We're talking first couple of weeks time frame.
  9. Ixal

I take that as what it is. "I can't explain it so I throw up random numbers to try to scare others away from pressing this".

Please tell me how "not owning Mundo" cripples you.
  10. Goomba

Like, please tell me how someone that used SC to unlock rocket pods and the other AA arm is not at any advantage.
  11. MistaN

Most of these are not straight upgrades besides maybe the rocketpods and Dalto but even that's debatable.

- AA launchers make you less effective against ground armor.
    - Rotary is specifically for aircraft and is pretty useless for ground armor/infantry.
    - Rocketpods and AA missles are sidegrades to each other but they both are an "upgrade" from the extra afterburner, depending on who you ask. The tradeoff is supposed to be less afterburner fuel. Maybe they need to get rid of afterburner fuel altogether if you equip those.
    - Dalto is pretty much an upgrade
    - Dual hacksaws are for infantry and means you're not effective against any type of armor at all.
  12. Sikab

If you wish :) few weeks ago Mundo was a tier1 jungler with one of the fastest Jungle clear time.

The meta, the balance changes from day to day. if you can't keep up with the currently viable picks, you are at a disadvantage.
  13. Goomba

Losing token effectiveness against ground armor doesn't mean anything, though. You can swap back to your dumb fire rocket if you're tank hunting. Same for the rest of the ~*sidegrades*~.

edit: Gonna be honest, Sikab, the only time not having a champion matters is if you're in a very specific situation. Akali v Lulu mid, for example. If somehow Akali was the only mid and you somehow didn't own any other mid and somehow got stuck with mid against a Lulu then you would be at a disadvantage. But that doesn't happen in LoL with champion rotations and, again, if you're at 1800 you most probably have at least one of every champion "type". If not, Teemo is only like three games away.
  14. Pax Empyrean

I think you've misunderstood something important here. The HE is supposed to make you sucky against armor, but it's still better than the default gun even at the thing it's supposed to be bad at.

You are like a lighthouse in this stormy sea of stupid, giving reasonable responses after having actually read what I wrote. I just need to express my appreciation for that.

Disparities like you mentioned (sniper vs shotgun in CQC, etc) are something that players expect. Nobody is going to leave a game because their sniper rifle isn't as good in close quarters as a shotgun is (well, somebody might, but there are very few like that guy). You're right that it's about perceptions; regardless of how small of a factor that purchased weapons are in the game, they will receive a lot of the blame when a player loses to one. It seems likely that players will quit games because they perceive that they lost at the money contest, rather than gameplay. I quit World of Tanks for exactly that reason.

Complaints about faction weapon balance are a lot more commonplace than I would expect, since there's nothing stopping anybody from joining whatever faction they think is the best. If the faction colors or gameplay-irrelevant ideology matters so much more to them than having a good weapon does, why do they rage so hard? It just doesn't make any sense.
    • Up x 1
  15. Ixal

So when the enemy has Mundo you are going to lose unless you have 1 specific champion which counters him, right? Because that is what rocked pods are.

So who was that champions? Amumu? Trundle? Shivana? Skarner? Maokai? Nocturn?
  16. Sikab

i have every champion :) bought all of them with RL money 1 by 1 on the long run. don't have time to play that amount to unlock them have 9 runes out of every t3 rune... it took quite a while to unlock every rune.

PS.: Akali vs Lulu ? o_0 Having every champion has more to it then just being in a very specific situation. an example: Pick order isn't favorign your team and by the looks of the enemy teams picks, it has a great chance that they will pick "XYZ" champion to counter your team". Bans already made... your only choice is to either last minute lock that champion for yourself, or either for your teammate.

But if your teammate reserves it, and you (who could play it efficiently) don't have it, that results not being able to trade with you, and your teammate is stuck with a champion his not familiar with.

could continue... but this is enough off-topic. I made my points, LoL business model was a bad example.

We are comparing business models... If you need tutoring we could arrange something in PM, but enough of the off-topic.

PS.: I1m off to sleep some. been playing for waay too long now :)
  17. Vreki

My responses in red

- AA launchers make you less effective against ground armor.
    They ought to, but the truth is that the default launcher is useless beyond grenade throwing range due to poor sight and drop. The AA launcher is still good against AV
    - Rotary is specifically for aircraft and is pretty useless for ground armor/infantry.
    We all know that A2G is done with rockets, so that doesn't mean much
    - Rocketpods and AA missles are sidegrades to each other but they both are an "upgrade" from the extra afterburner, depending on who you ask. The tradeoff is supposed to be less afterburner fuel. Maybe they need to get rid of afterburner fuel altogether if you equip those.
    The "tradeoff" is a no-brainer, In a dogfight or attack run the winner will be the one with the extra weapons, not the one who can run away the faster. The afterburner is just a throw-away.
    - Dalto is pretty much an upgrade
    - Dual hacksaws are for infantry and means you're not effective against any type of armor at all.
    It doesnt matter, you equip that particular MAX setup for inside fights. You are much better off than anybody with the default MAX.

And lets remember that I still have the option of equipping the default weapons, if I think the situation requires it.
  18. Gabba202

How am i like an angry child? I haven't paid for anything yet and do just fine. The fact that people who don't pay have access to the same things as people who do pay proves the game is not pay to win. Just because it takes free players longer to unlock does not make it pay to win.
  19. Ixal

If you think so than just take TF2 or Dota 2.
  20. Goomba

Counter picking in LoL isn't as big of a deal as you like to think. Also, we're talking about why Ps2's current system is lacking. LoL's system is miles ahead and SOE could learn from it.