Planetside 2 FPS spike/lag problem

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by UnKnOwNz, Nov 28, 2012.

1. UnKnOwNz

Hi,
    I'm not sure whether it's my computer's problem or not, but it seems that I can't get the smooth gameplay that is necessary for me to get even a single kill in the game. I know optimizations had to be done by the developers as I surf through the forum posts but I was wondering how players can get so efficient in gameplays while withstanding the FPS lag.

Example of my FPS lag case,
    1) Shooting and Aiming Down Sight caused my FPS counter [CPU] to drop until a minimum of 3 fps (due to huge war occuring) and 10 fps even at quiet zone)
    2) "Spinning" around also cause my FPS to drop from 60-100 to less than 20.

*I tried setting all the graphics settings to LOW and lowering my resolution from 1920x1080 to 1024x768. It raised the FPS value but it did not solve the problem above.

*I have followed this GUIDE in the forum and I couldn't see any improvements.
    (checked the comments and realised it won't work for some people including myself).

Here are my computer specs :
    - Intel Core i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00GHz (4 CPUs)
    - 8GB RAM
    - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Any kind help would be appreciated~
    • Up x 2
  2. Vorenius

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    CPU(Primary issue): Intel Quadcore Q9300 @ 2.53Ghz
    GPUs: Dual 280M in SLI (The 280M is about the same as a 8800)
    Memory: 8 Gigabytes of Ram

My specs are way lower than yours and I am getting better performance, not much better, but you should blow my PC out of the water.
  3. zgunner

It is an optimization problem unfortunately. This has been discussed since beta. This game uses way too much of our CPUs. There is also the fact that this game runs on a 32bit client. Those of us with 64bit don't really get the full effect I guess.

All I can suggest is tweaking with your graphics card. Sadly, even when I clock my card at max performance, my GPU only takes over for about 30 seconds. After that half a minute the game starts using more of my CPU again. It is very frustrating, I must admit.
  4. UnKnOwNz

Well, at that point I can't believe that lower specs can have better performance, but I surveyed a few friends of mine who are using a lower specs and they say they have some minor problems and yet they still can play well. Oh well~

True that our CPU has been used too much in game. Hmmm.. But some players with 64-bit OS still can play well? Or maybe they can handle the problem because they are used to it?
    I can't risk clocking my card since there are some risks which would cost me an extra $200 or so unless the optimizations has been made.
  5. zgunner

My PC started suffering from frequent power failures while playing the beta. I had to resurrect this thing, haha. Just goes to show how bad it was only about 3 months ago.
  6. boogaa

Same problem for, especially 1 vs 1 shooting fps is droping so much that the guy fornt of me seems to speed up and avoid my bullet ...