minimum age limit for kids

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Shirva, Nov 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shirva

My 9-yo son alreadyplays LOTRO (Lord of the Rings Online) with me. Now he wants to play PS2. What are you other parents doing for miminum PS2 age?

Thanks,
    Shirva
    • Up x 2
  2. MilitiaMan

Personally, I don't think anyone under the age of 21 should be allowed on the internet.

But that's just me.
    • Up x 33
  3. tonster

I let my ten year old son play it. Honestly the skill level is a bit much for him right now, but he enjoys playing with me. There isn't any blood in it and I think the guys look a lot like halo characters, which he plays on the xbox.
  4. tonster

Well I don't think anyone under the age of 40 should be on the internet, but that's just me. :p
    • Up x 2
  5. siiix

depends on your personal morals, i could not care less if any age kids are playing

i believe in communication with a kid and not sheltering them till they brain dead, its not what they see, its how they process it
    • Up x 9
  6. Vixus

The thing with Planetside is that due to it's online nature it doesn't require a rating from the ESRB system.
    I think the minimum age for registering an account is 13, correct me if I'm wrong here please.

Personally I would love to mostly keep the kids out too, but it's inevitable since this game is Free to Play.
    That, and some parents simply don't care.

Legally speaking players should be the minimum age set by the registration process, but I can't find any scenario where people have been banned from F2P games for being underage.

except from Second Life maybe.

Edit: If you do allow them to play, teach them gaming ethics and for the love of all that's good, don't give them a microphone.
    • Up x 3
  7. ShriekXL

Mine are way too young (2 year-old and another on the way), but when I think about it; I can't really pick an age for something like PS2. I mean, it's not like I had something like this when I was young. I was happy with 2 lines bouncing a square between them.
    • Up x 4
  8. Morpholine

If you're willing to let him play, you can protect him from much of the potential multi-player nastiness by leaving the profanity filter enabled (or hiding the chat pane), and turning off the in-game VOIP.

Other than that, I don't see any reason why I wouldn't let a child of that age play this. It's not gory at all, and the most suggestive thing I've seen is a couple of the pinup-girl decals (which are very tame, really).
  9. MilitiaMan

Sorry, halo and COD aggression there....

Can't stand the little kids that sing with the mic open.....Just makes me want to strangle the nearest living thing...

"You can't sing, and please ****!"
    • Up x 1
  10. Liquid23

if they are old enough to physically operate the game I say let em play... oddly it's the same rule I have about teaching kids how to shoot guns in real life

nothing "requires" an ESRB or PEGI rating because they are voluntary systems... and ESRB/PEGI only rates programmed content they never rate online experience because it's next to impossible to predict what other actual people will say or do
    the you must be 13 to register an account thing is because in the US it is illegal for a company to collect personal information from someone under the age of 13... doesn't mean an adult can't create the account for you legally or you can't just lie about your age... the only way to stop that is to go the Korean route and make people give SSNs to register accounts which wouldn't really work given the fact it's international and even if it wasn't people still lie and use other people's SSNs (I have to get into Korean games they aren't hard to find)
  11. HadesR

Or over the age of 50 :p
  12. Vixus

13. downer36

As long as parents take away the ability for their child to Voice Chat, I say let them in. The in-game chat filter is too powerful, but that is good for children. Blood and gore are non-existent, so moms might even be ok with it :D.

The reason for the voice chat thing is that most children use it without meaning to, and a constant stream of 10 year old voice chat should be a ban - able offense...
  14. Morpholine

There are parts of the internet where no one, of any age, should tread.
  15. jack mehoffer

18+
    • Up x 15
  16. ShriekXL

I couldn't possibly imagine something like that. Are we even on the same planet? :p.
  17. Flarestar

FPS games are by far one of the foulest, most immature forums of social interaction you can be exposed to. Just keep that in mind.
    • Up x 1
  18. Vixus

19. GTGD

And you thought the NC was underpopped now?
  20. Morpholine

Something tells me he meant no indication of allowing it unsupervised.

Hunter's safety courses all across the US use 12 as an age guide.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.