State of the Game 11/25/2012 - 4:45pm PST

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Smed, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Wrek

Captain I detect moderate ammounts of ******** in this sector.
    • Up x 1
  2. ikon

<3 smed
  3. Ico

No amount of testing ever prepares an MMO for launch. I agree, maybe a month more of beta (still keeping the the 2012 launch schedule) could of seen stomping out of some more optimisation bugs such as culling and poor AMD performance as well as other balance and metagame changes. Back to my original point however, no amount of testing prepares an MMO for launch, servers are stressed to breaking point as a record number of people login and concurrently play, coupled with the amount of people cumulatively trying EVERYTHING, bugs crop up.

SOE are working on the bugs as they flood in and they are communicating their progress and if they are working through the night then there is nothing more they could possibly do.
  4. namad

the listed minimum system requirements are a flat out lie, yes that pc might load the game, and even be able to move around alone in a corner staring at the floor with all the best (worst looking) settings possible. However the second someone starts shooting at him he's gonna drop down to one frame every few seconds and that's just not playable in an fps. Either consider FPS optimization/performance issues to be something you are working on, OR if you want to be lazy, at least go ahead and upscale those minimum requirements.
  5. Exmortius

the lag thing makes sense. at times i couldn't move or do anything while i watched other players moving normally. hopefully that gets resolved. i only ran into it a couple times. thought it was just my connection though cause i rebooted my router and restarted client and didn't see that again generally.
  6. JohnnyOmaha

Thanks for working over the holiday weekend all - got some credits during the black friday sale and your efforts thought the weekend made me get a subscription! The most fun I've had with a game in a long long time!
  7. Garetsu

You should open a "Tip the Dev's" button where players can donate $1 to buying those gents a coffee.
  8. TheEvilBlight

Spend station cash to buy the devs monster energy drinks? Heh.
  9. DarthXaos

Is anything going to be done about the issue that players deliberately causing themselves lag by downloading stuff and streaming movies in the background have a huge advantage?
  10. sagolsun

When the dev team says "we need more time" and the players are saying "release now!!" it's normal.

When the players say "you need more time" and the devs says "we're releasing now!!" you know something is very wrong.
    • Up x 1
  11. Marinealver

I would say more of a necisitey. Proiorties are te get the servers working, then make the game fun while looking cool.

With the beta it seemd like looking cool was top priority, fun and working servers were missed.
  12. Marinealver

QFT
  13. ICanOnlyMissOnce

thanks for the update but there is one concern i have and that has to do with the damage ratio to the tanks done by "rocket launchers" i seems to me it requires to many shots. though i understand the person could have upgraded his tanks armor specs, it makes it very frustrating for those of us relatively new to the game. and shooting the tanks from any other angle doesn't seem to alter the chance to kill either.
  14. FluffyM

7 hours a day, 24 days a week!

Good to hear, though- Woodman is still unplayable, unlike some of the other EU servers.
  15. MrK

Yes, the management or the business model.
    Or both
  16. True Mugsy

Thanks for keeping us up to date, and thanks for a fun game.
  17. Sir Lemming

Well, its obvious the community needs posts like this. I mean Smed's. Just a bit of info, a "we are on it" signal, the usual stuff, but it shows something. 'Abandoning' the community is a bad practice.

Since PS2 is a PC game, it can be patched with any frequency, and probably most of the team is still on it despite they had a launch. You know, it's a bit demoralizing when you put in years into a game, release, and work your *ss off in the following weeks too, while ppl you don't even know (mere names on a forum/mail/whatever) wants 'your' blood. Of course, this is how the industry works, but knowing that the last (few?) month of development and the first period after launch is _very_ crowded (18-20 hour a day during crunch time anyone?) I just hope they hold out.

On the issues:
    Testing helps, but can't find everything. Even if something found, the solution may elude the team for weeks. (It may look like they outright ignored a couple of issues, we don't know the background. How many hyper-mega-mustfix-blockers were eliminated. Or not.) QA rarely has the power to stop realease from happening, and a company can't delay release every time something happens. (Business planning, competition awareness, etc. can force out 'early' releases. Scheduling a huge marketing campaign for lots of $$ has the same effect.)

That being said, probably a better solution to handle launches is to let ppl flood the servers, stress the systems before shops and stuff are open. Yeah, open beta could achieve this, but if you have to release, for whatever reason, you can still mitigate possible problems or just soak up the hate.

Seeing things this way helps me not to drown in utter rage. As a 'paying customer' I would have the 'right' to do so, but it would not help.
    (Ofc, if it turns out that the whole team is on holiday in Hawaii while they send messages through a phone... then... well... that would be tricky at least.)
  18. Visk

In this thread: Haters
  19. Jourmand1r

This kind of fanboyism is literally scary.

I fear for what SoE will do when its this easy to convince people to give them money for nothing.
    • Up x 1
  20. dieMaus

I just hope the "flickering" is either related to one of the points or #4 itself because it affects alot ppl aswell...