Slug Ammo

Discussion in 'MAX' started by Ecko, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Ecko

Just wondering if slug ammo is worth getting for the NC Maxes? Based off the description, it sounds like you'd be dumb not to, but I'm holding off incase it's misleading.
  2. James161324

I almost bought it, but 300 certs for both arms is a lot
  3. doorap

i'd love to try out slug ammo+extended clip+hacksaw. Once I finish getting certs for HA, I'll probably go back to picking up MAX certs.
  4. Beltway

OH MY GOSH! I am SO glad I caught you silly bastards before you blew your cash. DO NOT, I repeat. DO NOT purchase slug ammo for any shot gun based weapon. If you do "it" comes for you when you sleep, you know that ugly monster that hides in the back of your mind when you wish that you never made that stupid choice in the past...Regret, I think they call it. It haunts you.

Slug ammo sounded like the best thing in the world when I blew 100 certs on it for my piston shogun and boy was I wrong to get it. Think of it like this. A shot gun without spread and shoots 1 pellet. That is what the slug ammo does, it turns your Swiss cheese maker into a pea shooter.

To clarify it's like shooting a single shot rifle when you are fighting enemies with fully automatic weapons. You ain't gonna win.
  5. warmachine1

In BF3, slugs are awesome!
    Here, fooked up!
  6. Fuze

Don't listen to this guy, he don't know what he is talking about.

Slugs are really good, period.
    Slugs + Extended Mag + Hacksaw is really nice, killing infantry at medium range with ease and in close combat they kill an infantry in 3 shots or less.

If you do not have slugs as MAX later on you can't do a jack **** against infantry if they are far away from you, medium range is enough for them to survive and empty their clip into you and then run back to hiding before you can finish them off.

Again, this guy above that I quoted don't know what he is talking about, it all comes down to the situation you are in.
    Don't have slugs? You will own indoors but as soon as your enemy is more than 10 meters away you are in deep ****.

So, go and equipp your slugs and be a good aimer and keep an even rotation so you can always shoot.

If you cert into slugs and are dissapointed then my friend you do not know how to utilize it.

You kill a enemy soldier as fast with slugs as you do with normal shotgun spread.
    • Up x 1
  7. Beltway

I think I have a pretty good idea of what I am talking about. Allow me to clarify a bit more. I say slugs are a waste because the are easy to miss and you have no spread. You say the Hacksaw, extended mag, and slug ammunition is really nice? I wouldn't say nice but tolerable since it's a full auto weapon.

Now I am going to use your statement to prove a point.

"killing infantry at medium range with ease and in close combat they kill an infantry in 3 shots or less."
    Default scatter cannon does this with additional spread for multiple enemies. Slugs cannot.

"Don't have slugs? You will own indoors but as soon as your enemy is more than 10 meters away you are in deep ****."
    A max unit should only be in doors unless you providing anti air support. Slugs are made with range in mind the combination of the two contradict each other completely. If you want to take out troops from medium to long range there are far better classes to get the job done.

"If you cert into slugs and are dissapointed then my friend you do not know how to utilize it."
    I can see somewhat of a point here. However my point still stands, with a lack of aim down sights and relying on hip fire 9 out of 10 you will miss your shots unless you and your enemy are standing still "slugging" it out (get it? lol). With a spread in the heat of battle the probability of missing is slim.

"You kill a enemy soldier as fast with slugs as you do with normal shotgun spread."
    EXACTLY! Then whats the point of purchasing something that is suppose to inflict higher amounts damage but actually doesn't with an increased aiming difficulty? I don't see a reason to deal with it if i can accomplish the exact same thing with default weaponry.

All in all I'm not gonna knock your stiffy for slugs. I'm also not gonna claim you don't know what your talking about or pee in your cornflakes. To each his own, but I'm a tactical player and In the circumstances surrounding the MAX unit which is a infantry class that has no business trying to peg someone at longer ranges. I find the option for long range ammunition to be a complete and utter waste of certification points. Now! Who's up for Chinese? I'm starving.
  8. gilrad

Actually, in terms of long range combat, I find Falcons, the anti-vehicle weapons, to do great. Once you get past the shell drop and low travel speed, it is fairly easy to hit stationary infantry from medium to long ranges. Don't know about other empires, but for NC, these are one-hit kill weapons. The fact you can scare away vehicles doesn't hurt either.
  9. Dornez

Slugs used to 2 shot people, what did they do to them?
  10. Beltway

Anti Vehcile weapon choices are great, I agree but thats the only reason a max should be poking his head outside. I can't say I've actually nailed any infantry with weapons geared for vehicles but I'll give it a shot.
  11. Beltway

See that nerf bat in the corner? Yeah...
  12. Fuze

• Default scatter cannon does this with additional spread for multiple enemies. Slugs cannot.
    Slugs may not have spread but at that sacrifice it gets range, so it evens out, leveling the playing field abit. I rather being able to hit someone than have to run across the room just to take unnecessary damage just to get in range. If you hit the enemy with your slugs you won't need spread. Spread only gives you the easy mode with (faceroll) over your keyboard if the enemy is near, and trust me, good players take advantage of that.

• A max unit should only be in doors unless you providing anti air support.
    What kind of nonsense is this? MAX is not = indoors. Then you play the class wrong my friend. A MAX can be used in many different ways and all are not indoors. In urban combat slugs are very effective when moving from point A to B for example or maintaining a certain area of defense. Also when you need to provide cover upon point of entry.. you can't go around hoping for your enemy to be in your face all the time, it will get you and your teammates killed. Just cause you are given slugs does not mean you just need to stand on a specific point and just hammering your trigger to farm kills.

• However my point still stands, with a lack of aim down sights and relying on hip fire 9 out of 10 you will miss your shots unless you and your enemy are standing still "slugging" it out.
    Major exaggeration here with it's accuracy. Slugs have very good accuracy for medium range, I'd say if the enemy is within 10-15m and you fire about 8 rounds, 5 or more of those will hit.. now that depends on your aiming skills but I can only speak for myself here. I have no problem hitting with slugs at that range or slightly further away. It get's the job done, I lose alot less health and I can continue to move forward. But seriously 9 out of 10 will miss? Preposterous!

• Then whats the point of purchasing something that is suppose to inflict higher amounts damage but actually doesn't with an increased aiming difficulty?
    It does not give you an aiming difficulty, its rather making it more easy. Hence shotgun spread you cannot control, every time you fire its random, sure its that with slugs too but its much more consistent of what and where you can expect it to go. Again, spread have VERY limited range, if the enemy is more than 15m away, you kinda almost deal ZERO damage towards then, leaving you crippled since you cannot get closer.

SOE made it pretty clear that each upgrade for weapons is gonna have a tradeoff. This is a good example, you sacrifice fire rate and spread and gain slugs. But then it totally depends how you utilize it, if you do it properly its a huge upgrade.

That's when its good to have different profiles so you can swap between em quickly if you have an equippment terminal or sunderer close. if you KNOW enemy is going to come close to a capture point where you can force them inside (just an example) because they need to capture you can take away slugs. But in most cases if you want to be mobile and not totally defenseless you pick slugs.

Why only be good in close quarters when you can be awesome in both close quarters and medium firefights? Sounds like a win win to me.
  13. Beltway

I could continue the debate but that would probably kill us both. So basically what you are saying is this is a total preference thing and neither of us is right or wrong? Brilliant! I think slugs blow you think they are great. So to other readers, I guess all we can say is try it for yourselves and see what happens but don't say I didn't warn you.
    • Up x 1
  14. Zaik

Slugs are a direct upgrade to the scattercannons, there is no situation that you should not have them equipped.

If you're regularly in a max then get them. It increases your effective range a decent bit unless you're terrible and try to spray with them at targets that aren't in normal scattercannon range.
  15. Frotang

So i was planning to get slugs after extended mags, the description makes it seems like they are still shooting pellets and just increasing range. So it shoulb be renamed to a choke cert? Or does it actually shoot one slug round?
  16. Fuze

It's not a preference, slugs are good and if one can't use em properly I can understand why one can learn to think they suck.
  17. Fuze

18. Fuze

Slugs are not pellets.
  19. BadLlama

What is the point of the hacksaw anyways? I can click really fast with the scattermax stand scatt guns. I just don't see the point in using hacksaws over the standard scatter max gun.
  20. snu

I have dual extended mag scatcannons, both with slugs.

i use the slugs for outdoor fights over 10meters.

2 shots kills anything, 3 if they use HA overshield.

one of the best investments i ever made.

kill enemy MAX's within 2 seconds, ALL MAX's.... i never even lose half my armor.

dual scatcannon max is best max imo

over 800 kills on each gun.