Quick Note on Optimization

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by codeForge, Nov 21, 2012.

1. PB-DK

i dropped from 20-30 fps down to 0-10 fps today, seems my cpu is the limiting factor not my graphics (which is high performance)
  2. Hatamoto

I also thought it was about shooting good looking people ;)
  3. Hatamoto

Thank you, yet another soul noting on the horrible UI .. In some instances it eats up to 10 fps, 5 is not acceptable either .. Give me just the reticule and friend / foe triangles and im fine. 5 fps in this game is ALOT, especially when in a zerg.
  4. Deschain

How is it heavy on Physx when currently everynes Physx is disabled ingame/greyed out?, from what i can see with this current build Physx isnt being managed by our systems because of this.
  5. Skkyper

My FPS dropped from 20-30 to 0-5 .Instead of optimizing the game they make it worse.
  6. mmstick

This game has physics? Who'd have thought? I haven't seen any ragdoll physics in this game at all, just typical pseduo-physics games used to use before physics engines were invented.
  7. scar413

physics /= ragdoll

http://physxinfo.com/forum/index.php?topic=214.0

it's server side. client physx (particle effects) are disabled right now. APEX 1.2 is coming in the future
  8. DuoMax

Physx is the fancy visual effects. It is not the same as the physics that the CPU calculates (bullet drop, yadayada.)
  9. McFly

I know you guys are working your butts off and I know, deep down, that you guys care. So please ignore the haters on the forum and do what you guys have to do.

I have a CS degree from UW and so I know it is challenging to make a project at this kind of scale. I personally think you guys did a really good job by just having the game running given the time frame you guys had.

Anyway keep up the good work. I just want to let you guys know that there is one more person out here appreciate your work!

I believe in you!
  10. McFly

Did you compare the graphics between the games?

Did you compare the performance requirements of FPS and WOW?

Do you know anything about CPU and GPU in terms about the technology, architecture, and logics behind them?

If your answer to any of the above questions is "no", then please let the grown-ups get to work. You kid go play outside.
  11. Shnooter

Just to make it clear that that Physx is the physics engine which can run on both CPU and GPU. In most games when you enable the processing on the GPU it enhances the effects but the GPU will take over from all of the physics processing.

The reason behind this is that the GPU is far better at parallel processing than the CPU thus you can have extra effects. So in the current set up of PS2 all the physics processing is running on the CPU. You just don't have the enhanced effects.

Running the physics on the CPU should be fine, while some optimisation may be required it shouldn't be a requirement to process the physics on the GPU only if extra effects are wanted.
  12. siiix

i would be glad to get 20 frames

in the beta i got 60+ frames, now i get around 8 FPS its just about unplayable

this is not a question of optimization , obviously with certain video cards the game is just broken

with a GTX 560 ti i should get far more then 8 FPS ! also why does it say its CPU only mode ?! and cant change it

i tried different drivers both win7 and win8 same frame rate

BROKEN !!!!!!!
  13. Valeriu

you have not done optimising? you have not actually managed to build a stable client, your game lags like buggery, people teleporting all over the place, your servers obviously cant handle this amount of players.

Woodman and Miller are almost always glitchy and laggy, when not off line.

Cant believe you released it in this state, and are taking people's money for unlocks and membership

enable a free transfer system asap so people can get off the bad servers.
  14. Miuku

[quote="codeForge, post: 625895, member: 2601"Oh and as far as the CPU usage thing... yeah we're improving that, but it's not as simple as "Just use 100% of my CPU".[/quote]
    Oddly enough, PS2 doesn't seem to use more than 2 cores on any given system I've tried it on - neither on my i5 game box or my Mac Pro double-hexacore Xeon, it simply uses 2 and that's that.
  15. Roadhouseman

Oddly enough, PS2 doesn't seem to use more than 2 cores on any given system I've tried it on - neither on my i5 game box or my Mac Pro double-hexacore Xeon, it simply uses 2 and that's that.[/quote]

damn .... we all could have so much fun .... ;)
  16. Miuku

See, that's what happens when I don't check what I post - forgot the ending /quote there. Good lord, not being overly active on forums shows again :)
  17. Eliteseraph

I often post in other game forums about how communication between the devs and the playerbase is vital. This kind of thread is exactly the kind of thing I LOVE to see. Letting the players know that the devs are aware that there's problems and are working on it. Not trying to hide behind some stonewall defense of silence like other games. Players are not stupid. We know that it takes a lot of work to make a game like this run correctly, and we're definitely willing to be both forgiving and understanding as long as there's communication!

Bravo, I say. Keep it up!
  18. Diamond Sword

So if you've seen some of my posts about performance, you'd know I was getting some pretty bad FPS drops.

Last night however, I just decided to put the resolution at max and change the texture to max as well.

Now the game is running smoother than it was at 1280x800 with everything on low.

What the hell does this mean?! :O
  19. peraxx779

I know that you guys are working hard on optimization 'cause when I was in beta my fps were about 5-11 FPS with the best tweaks I could made to the UserOptions.ini, now with the same file I've 17-28 FPS (except CPU-Bound drops, where it gets down to 4-8 FPS).

Just letting Laptop ppl know that the game is playable (at least for me), and that comes from a guy with the lower of the lowest Laptop.
  20. Freyar

I was doing fine during my first hour or so. Sticking around 30 even in heavy combat outside TR's Warpgate (Har...) That said, once we were pushed back a little, the framerates dropped to an average of 22 and spiked down to less than 12 on occasion in firefights.