Stalker Camouflage - facts, rumors, hear say, stories, fairy tales

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by yama, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Xylogenesis

I didn't play PS1 and I've never heard of "Stalker" stealth.

Can someone break down for me what you're talking about?
  2. ISKNausicaa

I too want PS1 cloaking in PS2, im not too sure how it would fit in the game right now, what would the counters be?

In the bigger open bases they'd be an absolute nightmare to deal with as they could drop unguarded shields and gens with impunity as even with some sort of cloak detecting device they have a million places to hide, a far cry from the bland small bases in ps1.

So what should the counters to stalker cloaking be? me personally Id like to see motion trackers in, that gave you some sort of effect to show you that you'd been spotted, if any of you have played NS2 i really like the way they uncover camo, you have some sort of shimmer effect that you can see on your avatars body.

EMP weapons and mines to disable cloaking for a short period.

In my opinion both of these approaches hands down would beat any sort of DL implant as the infil would actually know hes been spotted as opposed to the DL flicker, BAM, dead, of PS1.

Also guys do you think the infa scope should spot cloaked units?
  3. Ziogatto89

It's basically a cloak for the infiltrator that does not work like the current one, it can be activated indefinitively and renders the user completely invisible when standing still crouched, however if you move you become almost completely visible even with the cloak on.
  4. Phoenician

Has cloaking changed from beta? At first I thought it was pretty weak, enemies would spot me in cloak but I quickly got used to it. I found it quite easy to sneak into outposts and cause havoc. The amount of times i've been hidden surrounded by enemy tanks and infantry and survived thanks to the cloak making you that bit more unnoticeable. No other class could achieve it so it fulfilled it's purpose imo.
  5. xTEExGOWx

no because nothing makes me happier than playing a game and they release something NEW, and SOE does that all the time, i love the feeling of logging in downloading a patch reading the notes and eff yea, new **** !.
  6. xTEExGOWx

The reason why staler Camo isn't in yet is because if you play the game on low settings for some people maybe AMD users, i do not know but the cloakers are COMPLETELY 100% invisable. now having that running around with a pistol is deadly.
  7. Helwyr

Cloaks are no longer 100% invisible on low Graphics Quality settings, that was a few builds ago in beta.
  8. Wobberjockey

9. Kupcake

Ok, here's basically the deal for PS1 cloakers. It was a totally different beast.

To start with, it was infinite. Yes, you heard right, it lasted forever, more or less. And if you were stationary, it was perfect invisibility. However, you had _huge_ tradeoffs.

If you moved at all, the effect severely diminished, depending on your speed. Crouchwalking cloaker? Might not notice if you're not looking in their specific direction. But you could easily spot a running cloaker.

You were also squishy. Zero armor on a cloak suit.

You had way _more_ utility, with the right certs. Anybody with the right certs could hack, and hacking could do way more. Cloakers just really liked to take it because it meshed well with stealth. Hacking could jack vehicles, jack turrets, jack any kind of station. You also more or less needed a hacker to do a base cap in any short duration.

But, you had way _less_ offense. In PS1, you had weapon slots based on your armor type. Any medium weapon (pretty much any infantry weapon) could go into any medium slot, so the game was a lot less class-based. Cloakers only got one pistol slot. Meaning your offense was a pistol. You could get kills if you were really smart and really sneaky. In fact, I found it really fun. You really did hunt people down like animals, stalking them over time, and try to take them out at their weakest moment.

You had to specialize. This is the enormous, huge difference. PS1 forced you to specialize. You had X number of max certs, and they unlocked stuff. Want to drive a tank? Cert for that. Use a cloaking suit? Cert for that. Hack stuff? Cert for that. Do advanced hacking? Cert for that, too. This was an inherent balance on everything.

But PS1 also had implants. Real implants, not this cash shop stuff. You could only pick 2 (or was it 3?), and these gave you special abilities. By far the most commonly picked implant was Darklight Vision. When you turned it on, it lowered your draw distance drastically but revealed all cloakers. So yeah, people rarely used it, but when people thought a cloaker was around, that thing went on instantly.

I don't know. This game is a lot more modern. Some might find it more fun. But PS1 was just far more interesting. It had five times as many options for players, and it somehow seemed so much better balanced than this. There was a lot of balance griping and ******** back then, but it was mostly individual weapons being a little OP. Nothing like this, where even fundamental air-ground balance isn't worked out on launch.
  10. yama

Bottom line is the current "infiltrator" is fairly limited compared to PS1.

In PS1 a single infiltrator, with determination time (due to subsequent deaths or simply because sneaking into a base the right way could take forever) was able to turn the tide of battle. A well placed router pad, the right virus implanted into the facility at just the perfect moment, the AMS in the courtyard hacked.. I could go on and on... Thy were just flat out more versatile to play.

We never asked for sniper rifles. SOE simply decided to turn what was a proper infiltrator into a sniper. When we complained about that forever ago they promised for PS1 style cloaking to make a return and that is what ALL of us have been waiting for. Yet they leave us sitting in the dark.

To be clear, we don't want to take your sniper rifles away. If you happen to like sniping, heck I enjoy it every once and a while, you should be able to do so. What the old-school cloakers here want is to have proper infiltration back. One step on the way there would be to give us Stalker Camouflage.

Let me remind you what the cert was before they removed it from the list because some people don't have it quite right:

Same visibility or default duration as the hunter cloak!
    The one where you would go completely Invisible was called "Spectre Cloak", not talking about that.
    Only pistols can be carried.
    • Level 1: NOT moving would keep the cloaking nanites from draining (de-cloak to recharge)
    • Level 2: Moving crouched would also keep nanites from draining
    • Level 3: Walking now keeps nanites from draining, additionally pistols can be fired while cloaked,
      firing would increase your visibility.
    • Level 4: Running allowed, same penalties to shooting.
  11. Ravenclaw

i more interested in the cloak that don't drain power while your stationary
  12. yama

Stalker Camouflage, level 1. :)
  13. KoSGunny

I wonder just how many people even understand our current cloaking, let alone one that is yet to be released..

You have no idea how many infiltrators have cloaked and run by me just to die.. They don't seem to understand that it's audible and clearly visible (moreso at night) when they move.. They'd have a better chance cloaking and hugging their balls until I moved on.

I'm not just talking BR1's here, either.. I just don't get how so many people have no idea how to be stealthy with the option to be nearly invisible.

Makes me hopeful for the stalker camo, as a barely-infil player. Even more nubbies sprinting full speed in front of me to wonder why they died. Will also set apart the good and the bad as far as infils go, IMO anyways.
  14. Outake

O thats why i keep getting shot when running away.. i read that it gives me more def so i use it when i run away but if i show up more... like wtf... i think the nano-cloak that gives more def should be short with ups to make it longer but make it a better cloak that does that same when moving or not, yea i understand that cloak and dagger style i like it, but i think there should be a cloak for the other side too.
  15. Glenndal

The thing to remember about infiltrators is they are very good at getting ammo resupplies. If you decide to solo anywhere as any class, you should drop/flash/fly in as an infiltrator. The first thing you do is hack an equipment terminal, and you're all set.

I too wait patiently for stalker cloaking. I mean, I still enjoy sniping of course, but its a different game than close-quarters infiltration and sabotage. When stalker cloaking hits, I'm going to cert the nanites out of my infiltrator.

Also, can we get the word-replacement filter from beta back as an option? that thing was hilarious.
  16. Rasui

Also, I would like to know whose idea it was to make my cloak/uncloaking RIDICULOUSLY LOUD! They might as well assign a fat kid with a tuba to follow me around and start playing whenever I manage to sneak behind someone with my 12 seconds of cloaking.
  17. Garrix

Ocarina of time? :O
  18. yama

Ahh don't be silly.
    We all know jet-tubines and rockets are really made for stealth...I mean why else would a freaking jet-pack be as quiet as dropping a pin.
    Seriously, the CLOAKING suit of the INFILTRATOR class just has to be loud enough to give you away from the next building over.

It makes sense dammit!

Ahh my head hurts.. Need to go and bang it against the wall some now. It's the only thing still drowning out the voices...
    Ahh.. Get awaaaaaay from meeeee!!!!!
  19. Tarrick

Hate to enlighten you, but the only difference between games today and games 15 years in this regard is that games today can actually include these things after launch. Developers still had to cut features from games back in the day because they didn't have time to finish them.
  20. yama

*phoenix-down*