SC unlocks not account-based?!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by disky00, Nov 20, 2012.

1. RobotNinja

There is not at the current time. If server transfers are made available in the future, expect to pay like every other MMO. And I've have not seen transfers made available for every MMO, especially ones that bill themselves as MMOFPS. So, I wouldn't bank on that being made available in the future. Today is launch day. You either have to select another server or regretably...have patience.
  2. disky00

Did you buy that Sword of Swording with real money?
    • Up x 1
  3. Xaragoth

The difference is that your regular run of the mill MMORPGs are based on a entirely different idea. They are based around having multiple Characters of multiple classes, they are also based on gear grind. So comparing Planetside 2 to something like WoW makes no sense at all, since the idea is entirely different.

And even if you make a new character, if you purchased something from the company shop as a digital item, those are account-wide and get mailed to every new character for most of the big MMOs. Exceptions are around, but those usually have a low amount of players or very low prices. Neither is the case.

This is mostly not about guns btw. This is mostly about decals, armor styles, vehicle shiny and such. Most of us are okay with guns being locked out, though it's pretty stupid for some cases, since the weapons are a bit too essencial in some cases.
    • Up x 3
  4. RobotNinja

Cash Shops are common and popular in many MMOs. It's even becoming coming to see cash shops in retail MMOs you have to buy.

There is nothing in the game that states weapon unlocks are either server-wide or account-wide so you shouldn't automatically have an expectation that they are. They are bound to your characters.

If you have a problem with that and think you want a refund feel free to email happytohelp@soe.sony.com, explain your issue and request a refund.
  5. b4dkarm4

Yep, got the alpha squad stuff but if this is how the system is supposed to work, where your purchases are locked to that one single character and dont go with you to other servers if you suddenly find out your friends are on a different server....

LOL.

Im sorry some of you guys already lost some money, but the best way to combat this stupid pay model is to simply NOT BUY anything.

Its 2012 and devs think that they can largely get away with this kind of ******** because they do all the time. Tons of people line up and pay money for premium status for games like battlefield3 and call of duty. The only way youre going to change anything is to exercise some self control and refuse to buy into their crap until you feel the model is fair to you as a consumer.

I could understand items being locked per faction. Hell I could even understand items being locked per class, but being locked per character per server? Thats just blatant greed.

Bummer. Was looking forward to blowing a few hundred bucks day 1. (cause thats how I roll)
    But just because I have that much disposable income doesnt mean I blow it on bad one sided deals, you have to make it at least SEEM somewhat fair to me.

Ho well, thanks for the free to play game and servers sony! Ill enjoy the F2P experience immensely!
    • Up x 1
  6. CaptainRobust

Honestly, it seems like a really bad move on SoE's part. Either the weapons need to be cheaper, or they need to be account bound. As it is right now, if you pay $30 for stuff and your friends happen to play elsewhere, or your server is a 50 minute que or dead, you're SoL.

Server transfers, even temporary ones, would help with this right now.
    • Up x 1
  7. WardenSco

That's your fault not SOE's The F2P model works, works well (unless your SWTOR) Thinking that they would be account wide is naive.
  8. m44v

I agree that stuff bough with real money should be account bound, this is a scam.
    • Up x 1
  9. Keijjoz

Theres F2P and theres rip-off where - as explained above - players are losing their paid goods without them choosing to change/do anything.
    They just chose the wrong server by chance at the start...
    • Up x 1
  10. disky00

They could just allow free transfers anytime if you don't have an opposing faction character on that server. It would make things much simpler and it can't possibly by that complicated. It's almost 2013, we have to have simpler transfer methods these days.
  11. WardenSco

No its F2P if you don't like it leave. No one forced you to start buying the second you chose a server.
  12. disky00

You're right, no one did. I chose to because I wanted to support a game that I've been following for years and was waiting to spend money on since the tech test. It's a shame I didn't hear about Sony's policies sooner because I would have held off on purchasing things until they were made less offensive.
    • Up x 5
  13. Scienta

It's crazy how many people don't understand that cosmetics and even for some F2P models items are account bound on purchase and those that are not are server bound. It is just plain dirty to have to unknowingly delete items that you paid good money for because of misinformation and bad policies.
    • Up x 2
  14. Bing

This is a joke. Personally I need to have two characters up on the AU and US servers because the AU server is usually unpopulated. I was looking at a bit of a splurge but I am not going to spend a cent unless these unlocks are account unlocks.
  15. b4dkarm4

Thats cool, youre right, they made a bad impulse decision based on their wrong assumptions.

But think a few moves ahead if you will. Those players burned by an unfair payment model are going to probably a.) spread bad word of mouth b.) swear off buying anything else ever again.

With no new sucke .... uhh. Sorry, PLAYERS coming in from the bad word of mouth and existing players closing their wallets due to not wanting to get locked onto one server what do you think is going to happen to this game?

You DO want players SC purchases subsidizing your continued f2p experience in this game no?
    • Up x 4
  16. KrowAmes

Actually, if you buy something in Guild Wars 1 or 2, it's account bound. I have a lot of costumes from when I played Guild Wars, and I could get that costume for any character without having to buy it again.

At the very least, I want the cosmetic stuff to be account wide. There's no reason it shouldn't be, other than somebody wanting to make money.
    • Up x 3
  17. Plunkies

It's pretty ridiculous that money purchases aren't account-wide. Hopefully this is just an oversight that will be fixed soon and not just a way of screwing people.
    • Up x 1
  18. WardenSco

Or perhaps folk need to get to grips with a F2P Model, can any of the abused parties give an example of a non cosmetic purchase in a F2P game that was Account not character based, barring any special promotions?
  19. Xaragoth

But that's what the problem is. Even the cosmetic stuff isn't account-wide.

Seriously. We don't need guns to be account-wide, though that would clearly help. It's even things like decal and armor changes that are locked out.
    • Up x 1
  20. disky00

See KrowAmes' post above. The game that is considered to be at the forefront of the MMO genre at this point, and is doing quite well for ArenaNet, despite the fact that its RMTs are generally account-based, not character-based.
    • Up x 1