SC unlocks not account-based?!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by disky00, Nov 20, 2012.

1. disky00

I have unlocked a fair amount of stuff for the NC on Waterson, and when I jumped to another server to play with a friend, I had none of the stuff that I had unlocked on the previous server I was playing on. If I'm paying five dollars for a texture application, it had damn well better be available to me account wide, Sony. What the hell?

I understand that you need to have revenue streams, but this feels like fleecing to me. If you want people to keep buying things then keep making new things for us to buy, don't make us buy it over and over again.
    • Up x 15
  2. PapaSmurf

Most MMO's don't allow for purchases to be unlocked for all characters and I presume PS2 is the same tbh.
  3. NoDachi

I submitted a ticket with the same problem a few hours ago, so I guess they're really busy.

Eitherway I'm about to try the live help chat thing to see if they can help at all.
  4. disky00

So I spent roughly fifty dollars on a single character? Ridiculous. Five dollars for a single texture for just my armor, let alone the same texture for weapons and vehicles as well, is far, far too high a cost. I bought these things freely because I wanted to support a game that I love and because I assumed that I would be able to use them for other characters as well, but this is a bit much.
    • Up x 5
  5. BadLlama

Aww yes you unlock weapons per character not per account. Why would you assume it would be unlocked on an account basis?
    • Up x 2
  6. disky00

Because it's five dollars for a single image file to be applied to one aspect of your single character. That doesn't seem outlandish to you?

I have to say that now that I'm aware of how expensive this is going to be, I will not make any more cosmetic purchases.
    • Up x 3
  7. Emperor

Consider it like buying a class-specific hat in TF2: you spend $10+ on a hat you only use for a single character. It's not a bad deal, really, given that I think MOST people are going to be upgrading one character rather than jumping around. Given that there's no cert limit, not sure why you'd even bother trying to create another character unless you wanted to go to another faction on a different server.
  8. disky00

Except it isn't like that, because when you unlock a hat in TF2, you can use it on any TF2 server you play on. If I were unlocking a camo for that class and it worked on every server and every instance of that class I played, that would be one thing, but it doesn't.

I have a friend who plays on another server, and I wanted to play with them. I shouldn't have to make the same purchases over again on another server just to get the same experience I had on a different server. It's the same game, I should be provided the same experience.
    • Up x 8
  9. Vectovox

I am totally with you on this one and voiced concerns about this very thing early during the beta. I could survive keeping certs and unlocks separate for each server (even though it is an antique system in 2012), but not letting me use what I spent actual money on is a really bad decision on SOE's part.
    • Up x 2
  10. Xaragoth

Another problem is that IT NEVER TELLS YOU THAT YOUR UNLOCKS BOUGHT WITH REAL MONEY AREN'T ACCOUNT-WIDE.

I deleted my first Soldier on which I had already bought some cosmetic stuff earlier to switch servers. I played on Woodman, which basically was crash-hell, so I had enough. I basically lost all that stuff without warnings anywhere. They better give me the Items on my new Soldier or refund the points. It will keep people from buying, especially considering these prices. Unlocks should always be account-wide.

Except maybe the guns. Though there are some guns that are just so essencial for playing without problems, that they should probably be unlocked at all times (Rocket Launchers for example. 1000 Points and you need the Ground/Air Versions to actually do something sensible against Vehicles.)
    • Up x 7
  11. YoungTerror

I was curious about this as well. Im at work so I cant check. I was hoping at least the armor/helmet purchases would be account based but I guess not.

I main VS but have a friend that plays NC and was hoping to carry over the cosmetic stuff at least. I just wont purchase it then I guess.
  12. Keijjoz

Let alone the fact that a hat in tf2 is one solid item that you own forever, and you can even trade it to another account! So a hat in tf2 is a steady investment in 3 more dimensions than a ps2 unlockable:

- it works in every game on every server
    - it can or can not be worn by all classes (but this is well defined)
    - if you create a new account, you can simply trade it over (aka. works for every account that you will ever have)

Its good that you bring this example up.
    • Up x 5
  13. xtoph

I agree that cosmetics should be transferable to char's of the same faction but I understand that you can't buy a single camo and use it on every char for every faction in every server.
  14. disky00

Yeah, I'm okay with unlocks being blocked by faction, that's fine. But you shouldn't have to keep buying the same stuff over and over again if you're using the same class, even if it's on a different server.

Sony, if you want us to buy lots of things, make more things. Don't make us buy the same things again and again, that's just ******* annoying and it turns people off to the whole system. Or if you're going to do it that way, lower the prices significantly.
    • Up x 1
  15. Freyar

After roughly a year of complaints, APBR shifted to account-wide purchases.
    • Up x 2
  16. Valeriu

I was shocked to find that SC was not account wide, for RM (and a hell of a lot for individual weapons) they really should be.

I had to delete characters as the servers maxed out and it was awful performance, so I've asked for a refund on my SC credits.

Pretty poor choice by the devs, for that amount of money per wep, it shoudl be account wide.
    • Up x 1
  17. Keijjoz

Its not smart marketing-wise. The game is hot now, SOE has to find paying customers right now.
    If you turn people off for one year before switching the business model to something that is close to acceptable, then SOE is simply losing profit.

I am very much turned off by this and im not going to buy anything until this is changed. And i bet im not the only one.

I have seen a lot of games like this coming and going, they all start with a big amount of servers until the community is formed to the core that is going to stay and play. They all gather up on fewer servers, since they want to play on full servers, not on half empty ones. Then the number of active servers naturally decreases.

That means: A certain not to small percentage of players is paying for unlocks on a server that is going to be dead at some point in the future.
    As it is now they will simply lose their money, which is not right. Because they just want to use something that they have logically already paid for.
    • Up x 4
  18. Scienta

Sunk 3000 SC under the impression that cosmetics were account bound.
  19. RobotNinja

Have you ever played a MMORPG where you had a Sword of Swording on one server with one character and then you automatically got that sword on a completely different server?

Every single MMO game I've ever played, whenever you started a new character on a new server you started with jack.
  20. Keijjoz

Every single MMO that ive played had a character transfer option in case your server went dead or your friends were playing on a different one. Does this exist here?
    • Up x 2