Planetside 2 and Windows 8 compatibility issue

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Kryptonian, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Kryptonian

I still can't get PS2 to work even with pulling my G15 and my N52te from my rig:(. Funny thing is though I played the beta fine with Win8 and now this happens. I really hope the Devs are onto this problem because it would be a real shame.

@Ealhdun: how do I check my reliability history?

Edit: Thanks Amon, that fix seemed to work and im in game now. Ill let you know if anything goes wrong lol:)
  2. bytebull

windows 8 ...you wanna play planetside on your tablet or phone...

windows 8 = FAIL.
  3. Konyetz

Thanks man, I was wondering where people were getting those reports from, appreciate the help.

In my Event Viewer it tells me that DINPUT8.dll cause the crash. Perhaps I registered the new one incorrectly or it's not trying to use it? Any idea how I can get it to use the one in the PS2 folder over whichever one it appears to be using that is crashing the game?

For reference, here is the output from Event Viewer:
    Code:
    Faulting application name: PlanetSide2.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x50ab960e
    Faulting module name: DINPUT8.dll, version: 4.8.0.400, time stamp: 0x39f15fef
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x000157de
    Faulting process id: 0x19e0
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cdc7579ed4407d
    Faulting application path: D:\PlanetSide2\PlanetSide2.exe
    Faulting module path: D:\PlanetSide2\DINPUT8.dll
    Report Id: ddc028d3-334a-11e2-be7c-d0df9ab430f9
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID: 
    Edit: After reading that entire thing, "Faulting module path: D:\PlanetSide2\DINPUT8.dll" is the location of the new one I downloaded and registered.

Edit again: Prior to me trying that new .dll file, this is the error I was getting:
    Code:
    Faulting application name: PlanetSide2.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x50ab960e
    Faulting module name: DINPUT8.dll, version: 6.2.9200.16384, time stamp: 0x5010a805
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0000ff7f
    Faulting process id: 0x670
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cdc755712c5f6d
    Faulting application path: D:\PlanetSide2\PlanetSide2.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DINPUT8.dll
    Report Id: b175a893-3348-11e2-be7b-d0df9ab430f9
    Faulting package full name: 
    Faulting package-relative application ID: 

4. Pella

Nope :(
  5. Hapexi

For me its working just fine with Windows 8. Only problems I am having now is actually joining the game.... gives G15 all the time. I got in once but it disconnected and then gave another G15. Huuray!
  6. bytebull

Windows 8 will never be accepted as a PC OS ... never not gonna happen. To many businesses have already put to much into getting up to speed with windows 7 and just aren't going to use it. System Admin here telling you my company has already listened to me and we aren't even considering it after spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to upgrade to windows 7 and it's doing everything we want.

When I beta tested windows 8 I used it for a week and knew that it would require a lot of resources from my company to train our employees to use it because they went off into the void on windows 8....

the cost to install then implement it into our network (over 6,000 computers) then train everyone to use it ( still some are learning how to use windows 7) is unacceptable.

Windows 8 is a fail for PC or businesses and I don't think any business will move to it anytime soon.

You home users that just have to have the latest new thing deal with Microsofts blunder it's called windows 8
  7. Ealhdun

in desktop mode go to the left hand lower corner and right click.
    Select control panel
    Select System and security
    Select action center
    Select maintenance
    and there you will find the link "view reliability history"

There find the planetside 2 crash (should be under critical issues) and right click, select view technical details
  8. Pella

This isnt a debate about Windows 8..

9. bytebull

You should go to work for microsoft ... impliment that into the windows 8 install ... then after that OS installs they HAVE TO do that tutorial to use it.

guess what even if they make it through that ( a week later) they will uninstall windows 8 and go back to 7.

The IT community has already written windows 8 off as a tablet/phone os ...

It will NEVER be a PC gamers OS.

If any of you gamers are even thinking of installing windows 8 don't do it. You will regret it.
  10. Ealhdun

I think you need to disable mumble overlay. (at least that is what I remember from beta forums)
    • Up x 1
  11. Pella

Legend. Worked for me.
  12. Korbs

For all who said that Windows 8 is the problem : I just disconnect my Xbox 360 controller and the game isn't crashing anymore. So I'm sorry, but Windows 8 is not the probleme, the game is. (and W8 is a great PC AND TABLET OS by the way).
  13. Konyetz

14. Indecisive

Any major operating system upgrade has these components and complaints in any corporation so I honestly fail to see your point. It won't be adopted en masse for years to come, but then again, there are still tons of companies that have at least some windows xp machines. Microsoft owns the business share, and eventually they will EOL windows 7 many years down the road, and while i'm not saying that a windows 8 upgrade is required, and you can't won't be able to skip it, pretending that you'll be able to stick with windows 7 for your entire life is insane.

Clearly Microsoft is reinventing themselves trying to create an integrated platform, and I highly doubt they will move away from that investment anytime soon, so some sort of touch focus is here to say. So, in that respect, I think its nuts to judge an entire operating system based solely on having them make the start menu full screen. Even if its such a terrible thing (which its not, you get used to it, trust me) there are so many clear advantages.

Storage spaces
    Better backup/file history support and refresh/reset pc
    better search/indexing
    better overall system response speed/smaller os footprint
    Faster shutdown/startup
    Built for cloud integration
    Amazing task manager
    my favorite: power user shortcut win+x

Plus pricing thats actually reasonable? Done deal. Windows 8 isn't for everyone, and its not an OMG MUST BUY but to treat it like its a toy or trash? Really?
  15. WarpGuN

i did a "Validate Game Assets" and then it worked
    if that fails try and run Launchpad in windows 7 compatibility mode
    • Up x 1
  16. TeknoBug

My hard drive was dying and I couldn't reinstall Windows 7 on a new drive because it wouldn't let me activate it even over the phone so I figured I'd upgrade to Windows 8 and so far no problems. Personally I much prefer Windows 7 but after some tweaks to make Windows 8 look and work like Windows 7 did with Start8 and some regedit changes, games are running fine for me and with an intel SSD it can boot from post in ~11 seconds. Windows 8 seems to have MUCH better memory management and less overhead load when running apps.

Also in response to "businesses spent alot of time moving to Windows 7", eh my oil & gas company stuck with Windows XP, no reason to switch when things can still work in Windows XP. I don't know how many big businesses actually switched to Windows 7, what does 7 offer over XP for workstations and business management? Companies that uses touch screen to do productive work with usually runs a Unix platform rather than *lol*Windows.
  17. Slyphee

Change the language in the launcher to french or something, launch the game, see if it resets the language and then change back to English.
  18. Nasher

I ran windows 8 pro for a week. I went back to 7, because it just has to many problems.

I was even getting random disk read errors on a perfectly healthy SSD, which was obviously causing the game to crash (apparently this is a bug they didn't fix from 8's beta). Check your system logs for errors and warnings.

Win8 is even crashing on mobile devices, so don't expect a stable system for a while.
  19. bsones

Protip: Go away. This is a tech support thread. You are not helping. Nobody gives a **** about your OS pearls of wisdom.
    • Up x 1
  20. Idono

Thx that fixed my problem. PS2 right out refused to add the dinput8.dll file into the folder so i had to do it manualy.